Thread: Looking for a mandolin kit?

Default Looking for a mandolin kit?

Arches A-style kits!

These are available right now in the classifieds. NFI. I'm just too far into it for the holiday or I'd probably grab one of these.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/118634#118634
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Default Re: Looking for a mandolin kit?

I'm in the middle of an Arches kit build right now. Top quality materials.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

4. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Maybe a dumb question, when it comes to kits do you get what you pay for ? Or will the more expensive kit get you a better sounding mandolin given the same builder skill level ? I looked at StewMac kits and there about 6 times the price of the Saga kit. If I was going spend hundreds of hours building one I would definitely pay more for a kit that would give me a noticeably better mandolin.
    Thanks
    Lou

The Saga kit is an entry level mandolin that is very similar to a certain retail entry level mandolin. They can be made to sound pretty good with some care. Also, much of the heavy lifting is already done for you on the Saga kit. The Arches kit and the Stewmac F style kit (as far as I know they discontinued the A kit) are better wood and provide you with an instrument that when assembled and finished correctly could rival much more expensive instruments. They are different in many respects.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

For guys that have already built one or more mandolins(kit or no kit), would you advise to build just one, as a first mandolin, or would building two or three at a time to take advantage of mass producing the processes to save time, would that be a good idea? Or should you wait till you build at least one completely to familiarize oneself with how it all goes together?
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

From my experience so far, build one, then decide if you want to go further. A second mandolin will surely go faster than the first. Even with a kit you need the tools to complete the job. I made a thickness gage, sawed the ends off a bunch of clothes pins for kerfing clamps, and built 16 spool clamps. I bought a StewMac binding cutter for my Dremel. I also bought a fret hammer.

I already had fret crowning and leveling files, as well as nut files, a machineist's straightedge, and a toolbox of various other files, chisels, exacto knives, digital calipers, etc. I bought an old Harmony arch top guitar to practice doing a fret job and binding on. I viewed building a kit as a logical next step in my ongoing interest in instrument building and repair, and I'm enjoying the process.

I am most certainly learning things that would help with a scratch build. The cost is not insignificant, as I'm building an Arches F style. The materials are very good. The CNC machineing is perfection, the dovetail joint is tight, and the scroll and headstock binding channels are cut. There are still many hours of hand work to be done, and finishing skills to learn.

Considering the cost of the kit, tools bought, parts such as tuners, bridge and tailpiece to buy, plus a case, I could buy a master series Kentucky whose fit and finish would assuredly surpass my ability in such as binding and paintwork. I am hoping to equal or better that sound quality.

So, is a kit for you? Certainly yes IF you enjoy the process. And I agree, if you are going to take the time, why not spend for quality? I have the body together and the neck on, and have taken a break to practice on the previously mentioned arch top, which has gone quite well, giving me the confidence to proceed.

If you have never had the urge to fit a bridge, level frets, or file nut slots already, maybe it's not the project for you.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

9. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skaggs2.0 View Post
    For guys that have already built one or more mandolins(kit or no kit), would you advise to build just one, as a first mandolin, or would building two or three at a time to take advantage of mass producing the processes to save time, would that be a good idea? Or should you wait till you build at least one completely to familiarize oneself with how it all goes together?
    Most people are in the learning phase no matter what. In my mind I'd rather mess one up at a time. If you're in the business of building mandolins then the multi-build approach might make more sense. I'm sure Steve Gilchrist didn't start off building a years worth of production at one time.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Skaggs2.0 View Post
    Having built a Siminoff F5 kit (no longer available), I would advise just building the first one and see how you like the process. Also, to simplify things, build an A model vs. and F model. I already had a couple of good A's, so I went with the F. Lots more detailed work with it vs. an A. I kept a good build-blog and a link is in my signature.

I doubt I'd ever build another mando, but I did build a StewMac uke kit for my granddaughter to get more use of all the tools I bought for the mando build. Currently building another uke for myself.

Have fun!
    Ralph
    1984 Flatiron A5Jr; Collings MT; Built an F-style kit
    HogTimeMusic.com // Songs on Bandcamp.com
    "What's Time to a Hog?"

Not to hijack the thread, but what do folks think of the International Violin kits?

The IV kits can be outstanding---I came to build one after first scratch building an A---the kit turned out fabulous---but, do not be afraid to modify---perhaps binding the back and top---selecting better tuners and strings---using a better tailpiece. I recommend the IV for those getting started.

The IV A style Kit is the Saga A style kit.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber