Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 21 years, boys, is a mighty long time...

Default Re: 21 years, boys, is a mighty long time...

Akira here. Man, no wonder my ears were burning last December. Well, sorry I'm late replying.

I have Duck #2. An airline broke its neck in 1973 and I tried to have it fixed many times but it won't stay so my friend luthier Bill Swank put a new neck on it. It used to be a short scale but Bill put a long neck so the bridge had to be moved some.

Duck #1 belongs to Shawn Nycz who lives in Nashville. He used to be a wrestler and he is the one who recommended wrestler's pants to John:-) I believe he still owns several of John's pants.

I also own Gibson F-12 that John bought in 1966. When I took the F12 to George Gruhn in 1997, he said it was from 50's. The serial number is A-3028 and at one point somebody said it's from 30's but I'm not convinced....

One thing that is confusing is that F-7 that Dick Smith now owns, was stolen in 1966 but it came back shortly. The F-12 was stolen in 1969 and it didn't come back till around 1974. When John started the Scene in 1971, he didn't have a mandolin and he decided to make his own - the duck.

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Akira

Akira

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sleepy Eyed John For This Useful Post:

A very exciting news. On June 22, Smithsonian/Folkways is releasing "Epilogue: a tribute to John Duffey" that I co-produced with late Ronnie Freeland. It has all star lineup: on mandolin you'll hear Adam Steffey, Wayne Benson, David Grisman, Sam Bush, Ron Inscore, Marc MacGlashan, Lou Reid and myself and of course some of us are playing John's F-12. If I list all the guitar, banjo, dobro and vocalist, it would be too long but please keep an eye for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Epilogue-Trib...pilogue+duffey

Thank you,
    Akira

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sleepy Eyed John For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Akira. I didn't know the 7 was stolen also at one point, must be John got it back then sold it to the guy who traded it to Uncle Dick?

Akita, thank you so much for bringing your knowledge of the great man’s mandolins and his wardrobe!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Eyed John View Post

I also own Gibson F-12 that John bought in 1966. When I took the F12 to George Gruhn in 1997, he said it was from 50's. The serial number is A-3028 and at one point somebody said it's from 30's but I'm not convinced....
    Thanks for the first-hand info on Duck, etc., Akira. Always good to go 'straight to the river', as opposed to relying on 2nd and 3rd hand uninformed accounts.

JD hisownself stated the F-12 was a '36, as here in the MWN interview from 1981.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MWN_Duffey.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	533.7 KB 
ID:	167721  

Blog Entries

Just received an advanced copy of the new CD and I have to say it is spectacular in every way! Great thought out project with stellar musicians that give honor to a legend in the bluegrass/newgrass world. Great job Akira, I'm very delighted that this project came about and to all who participated in its making. Awesome in every way including the booklet that tells some stories that many do not know! I will listen again many times I'm sure of that!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

John was fun to watch. So too the Bluegrass 45!

I recall early festivals and so many fun times of the past. John and his claim, "The drugs were wearing off!" or something to that effect. All the mixed folks in the ground - hippies, old-timers, church families and a sense of fellowship! Just great music.

And the Bluegrass 45 playing their instruments on their backs. Not sure they even knew English, but knew the songs!

Thanks for the reminder of John!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

A wonderful project, indeed; with a wide breadth of music, players and feeling. The booklet is fantastic. Here's one photo, so great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akira_and_JD.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	168387  

My birthday is coming! Thank you Akira!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

If The F-12 has a red label, in it then it could very well be a `50`s model but if I remember correctly it had a white label which was being used in the `30`s...Of course labels fall out but it must still be in there since Akira knows the serial number...I have to agree with Alan about the interview with John plus he also told me that it was a `36 or `37 I can`t remember which year he said...I had an F-12 and John also told me mine was very close to his serial number and I know that mine was a `51, so the mystery still lingers...

Willie