Thread: Traveling for Christmas

Default Traveling for Christmas

Hi

Plan on driving from The North to Fla. Do I need to be concerned about humidity changes in my car? If so will wrapping the case in plastic work? I have a humidifier on my furnace so it is in the correct range

Thanks Much

Default Re: Traveling for Christmas

You should be OK. May want to take a hygrometer to insure you don’t need to place some silica packs or dry “humidifiers” in the case to remove some moisture, but don’t sweat it too much. In my humble and non-luthier opinion, low humidity is much more dangerous than higher humidity, excepting extreme degrees. This time a year you should be fine. For reference, I take a guitar and a mando to Charleston every summer for our family beach trip (which usually has temps in the 90s-100 range with 75-100% humidity). I’ve never taken any of the dehumidifying measures I mentioned above, and have never had an issue. And, yes, I usually play on the porch of the beach house most of the time...I’ll admit to having to wipe off condensation when I first come outside on a couple of occasions. Keep it in it’s case for the ride down, and I doubt you’ll have issues. Even with our cold snap this weekend, humidity here in Charlotte has been in the 50-60% range...

I’ll also admit that my instruments sound better in my basement at 40-50% humidity, but ya can’t beat a nice beverage and a nice jam on the porch with the Atlantic playing rhythm in the background. Ahhhhhhhh...

Safe travels!
    Chuck

Default Re: Traveling for Christmas

Thanks Chuck

My big concern was the low humidity in the car. Sounds like just keep it inter case and I should be fine. Thanks again