Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snowbound

Blog Entries

Default Re: Snowbound

Winter wonderland in the fens too yesterday! I have been missing snow for a very long time, and this was wonderful reminder of the kind of weather we had in central PA when I was a kid. Decorating the Christmas tree is always a lot more fun when you can see snow falling.

Two small children kept me from my mandolin all weekend. So I envy the OP's free time! (Back to working with a metronome this afternoon.)

Many things cancelled in loads of places in England and Wales. But we're more or less unimpeded here in Cambridgeshire. It's cold out there, bundle up and drive safely!

Daniel

We are in a drought here in Northern New Mexico. Send some snow our way, please.

It's plenty cold. Oh, and a flask filled with an Islay single cask would be great, too.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Quote Originally Posted by OneChordTrick View Post
    That's rather unadventurous! I had visions of you using your case as sledge like James Bond in "The Living Daylights"
    It's a hill - which means that it goes up and then goes down - and the steepest (up) side is on the way home.

Admittedly, the weather up here isn't anywhere near as bad as it can get - there's only 4 inches of snow on the car at the moment - but the thought of driving for a mile or so along a narrow road with gradients as bad as 1:3.5, at midnight at -12 degrees, doesn't fill me with enthusiasm. Just so's you can visualise it -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winnatts.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	163051  

True to that. We have two seasons here. Winter and road repair / construction.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    It's a hill - which means that it goes up and then goes down - and the steepest (up) side is on the way home.

Admittedly, the weather up here isn't anywhere near as bad as it can get - there's only 4 inches of snow on the car at the moment - but the thought of driving for a mile or so along a narrow road with gradients as bad as 1:3.5, at midnight at -12 degrees, doesn't fill me with enthusiasm. Just so's you can visualise it -
    You should have said it was Winnat's Pass, in that case I'll let you off

Of the 15 highest-average-snowfall cities in the US (population over 50K), five are in NY, and one's just over the border (Erie PA). Buffalo's #1, and here in Rochester we're #3, with average of 87.8 inches (7.32 feet) December through March -- based on the last 30 years. If you add in smaller cities in the state, Jamestown "boasts" 146 inches annually, Batavia 142, Fulton 123, and Oswego 112.

Our first big snowfall's on the way for tonight through Wednesday, followed by our usual bouts of "lake effect." I've got gigs the next three days, so wish me luck.

I do understand that in places where snow's not the normal order of business, panic ensues, and the town's one snowplow is dragged out of mothballs to make valiant efforts to clear paths to work, school, and the Thursday jam at the pub. Here we just shrug and trudge through the fluff, on about our daily routines.

And we could be in Park City UT -- 411 inches of snow per year, on average. That's 34.3 feet. Even veteran upstate NY-ers might find that daunting.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Weather update for my neck of the woods. Winter storm warning, 7-14 inches of snow Tuesday and Wednesday. First storm of the season. Time to practice by the fireplace.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have 3 gigs in the next 3 days! Not gonna be pretty.

Here's the view from my farmhouse in East Galway a few days ago, while I'm sat in sunny San Francisco where the daytime temps are in the mid 60's F

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25189913_932825003558466_1024100494_o.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	163078
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel