Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

Default Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

I see excellent players who play on far less expensive and quality mandolins ( Eastman,etc) than their ability ! I also see other players who "play" sub par like "yours truly" and own more upper scale instruments ( Ellis, Wienman, Girouard). Than there is the next level of Gilchrists, Dudes, etc ! I'm sure there are a few novice players who own these also ! I'm also sure there are excellent players who just can't afford upper tier mandolins also ! Judging your own playing ability which instrument should you be playing if it matched your playing ability ?

Default Re: Which Mandolin fits/compares to your Ability ??

Rogue. (No disrespect to Rogue intended or implied).
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to F-2 Dave For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

As I am my own harshest critic, and I don't compete so I can't possibly answer your question fairly or accurately. I have always bought the best instruments I could afford. In doing so I have been encouraged by their quality to keep pushing the envelope of my skill level. I may or may not "deserve" the instruments I have but I certainly enjoy them. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

I am fortunate that my wife, back in 1993, supported me in asking Randy Wood to build me an F 5. I am convinced that my abilities will never be able to bring out all of the stuff this mandolin has hidden inside. But, it remains my mental health.....as much as I still retain.

I’m a Familyman first, so I’ll never be a great mandolin player. Just don’t have the time to devote. My old Eastman 505 would have been plenty of instrument for life, but my wife knew I wanted a Collings and surprised me with one a few years ago. I’m not even close to doing that mandolin justice. But I’m having fun trying.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

Eastman 315. I'm better than a Rogue, but not as good as my Silverangel...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by F-2 Dave View Post
    Rogue. (No disrespect to Rogue intended or implied).
    Whatever they make that's not as good as a Rogue.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

11. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

I don't own or play any of those mandolin brands of various archtop long scale mandolins.

I play bowlback and flatback mandolins by choice.

"Judging your own playing ability which instrument should you be playing if it matched your playing ability ?"

Frankly I have no idea!

Ok I’ll bite...I suppose it’s the same as when one learns how to drive what would be a good beginner car...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I suppose it’s the same as when one learns how to drive what would be a good beginner car...
    For the instructor and learner: a Sherman tank
    For other drivers on the road: a Tyco pedal car

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Ok I’ll bite...I suppose it’s the same as when one learns how to drive what would be a good beginner car...
    A new driver might oughta be driving a better car so his inexperience can be protected by technology and superior construction.

I've only played two so I don't know.

*shrugs*

Blog Entries

Well.... If a total beginner is $50 Rogue and Chris Thile is two $150,000 Loars, then...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin-price.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	162949

Of ALL people who play a mandolin, I'm definitely to the right of center. I might be better than my $1,000 Eastman. I might even "deserve" a Gibson or Duff.

But by this chart, it implies that Mike Compton (Gilchrist) is a chump compared to John Reischman (Loar), and we all know that ain't true.

HOWEVER, if we take Loar out of the equation and consider only modern builders, then things get interesting:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin-price-2.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	162950

That puts me closer to a Pava (in my mind at least).

***All of these are just my guesstimates for a well-appointed F-model from common builders.

18. The following members say thank you to Drew Streip for this post:

On the weighted bell curve of mandolins, I'd say the peak is near the $5k mark... Because at the far ends are basically a $350 starter and a $22,500 Gilchrist, and you could basically eliminate the most radical data, like a $150k mando or a $10 mando

I'd say that a typical intermediate mandolin would actually be a $3500 Collings MT2 or whatever you choose at that price point, or a $6000 mando of your choice. Basically, I see around $2500- $6k as being middle ground...

We all know that you pay exponentially more for "more mandolin" as price increases... I'm simply saying you could very well create a legit weighted bell curve, where a $3000-$5000 mandolin is right in the middle of the peak.

This is all hypothetical of course... because in the end we're really talking about consumer surplus. What if someone was absolutely terrible, but they played their Gilchrist 6 hours daily, every day? Surely that is warranted. What if someone was an incredible player but they had several mandolins all costing over $10K, and they only played two of them once a month?

Basically, buy the best mandolin you can afford, BUT also, buy the one that creates the most consumer surplus taking cost and enjoyment into the equation; with cost being viewed holistically and as a finite resource, ie, money that goes into a mandolin is getting taken from something non-musical that might provide enjoyment also. Ha hahaha... Only you know the equilibrium that is right for you.
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Dec-08-2017 at 12:22pm.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 9lbShellhamer For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure talent translates to mandolin quality. I have always said "you can't learn to drive at Indy with a Volkswagen". That being said I am of the belief that getting the best you can afford, or something you love the sound of, will make you a better player. Sometimes I may not feel like playing, but pick up my mandolin just because I love the sound and want to hear it, in which case I can't put it down. I think the opposite may be true, the better sounding mandolin that you can afford (to your ears) the better player you may become.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I am learning on a Loar LM700.

I tell myself in a year or two, if I really get better, meaning if I get through the instructional DVDs, bluegrass up the neck, parking lot pickers book, pentatonic scale book, I will reward myself with a Northfield if funding and my wife allows. She does say the loar sounds tinny and asks how come it doesn’t sound like Chris Thiles loar. I told her he uses a really expensive pick. She didn’t buy that or a really expensive pick for me

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrneil2 For This Useful Post:

I have always felt that playing a good instrument makes you a better player because you won`t get upset like you would if playing on an instrument that doesn`t stay in tune or doesn`t have a good tone to it...Some of the Asian instruments are cheap enough and they are decent instruments, some even good enough for the pros to play...

Willie

I think we look at this backwards. I will sound better on a great mandolin due to the quality of the instrument. A real mandolin player can take an average mandolin and sound great. So l need a great mandolin to sound average.

26. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

I play an Ellis F5. I have no idea what skill level is recommended for a mandolin of that caliber, and I wouldn't care if I did know. I play it because I enjoy it, and I know I can never blame the instrument for holding me back.

No offense to those who enjoy these types of discussions, but I think it's a waste of time and an insult to us all when we try to define what instrument we "deserve" or "should be playing" based on skill level. This isn't martial arts where we wear color-coded belts to advertise our skill levels, or are only allowed certain weapons until we earn the right to use them. I resent the suggestion that I should play a lesser instrument until I'm a better player (not that anyone has suggested that to me, but it seems to be the idea behind these types of discussions). Play what you love, make the most of it that you can, and enjoy the journey no matter what you play. Let's stop trying to classify ourselves into categories!
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

I believe that better instruments will make anyone a better player, and lesser ones will hold you back. So I say buy the best instrument that you can, as soon as you can without regard to your skill level.

30. The following members say thank you to Tom Sanderson for this post:

Tobin 

Schmergl Devastator, no question about it.

32. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Porsche

34. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

I love my Collings MT-O, it's got everything I need as regards playability, looks, quality of construction. I dream of one day having one of Nigel Forster's mandolins, or a Sobell, or a Campanella (oval A or Due), but I'd also be fine to just keep putting the miles on the MT-O. I love when you see the honest player wear put on vintage Gibson A's over the years and aspire to getting to know my MT-O in the same way.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

36. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Streip View Post

***All of these are just my guesstimates for a well-appointed F-model from common builders.
    I can't edit my original post to remove the charts, which have some factual inaccuracies. I apologize if my chart came across as "ranking" the quality of any specific builder -- I just wanted to put a visual to this conversation.

However, I do think this is an interesting and worthwhile discussion. When builders set prices, they have target audiences in mind, because prices do serve to indicate quality. And the smaller the operation, the more stake they have in who plays their instruments. In other words, Rogue doesn't know who they sell to, but Steven Gilchrist meets each of his customers in Nashville. I don't know if he'd turn down an order from a newbie who wanted an F-5, but I have to think he'd be pretty disappointed if he was building an instrument for somebody who didn't know how to play.

Yeah, there's some amount of altruism in creating the potential for joy, but let's be real. If I spent 100+ hours building an instrument, I'd want it to be played, and played well. I refuse to believe that I'm alone in that line of thinking.

Another way of looking at it, Hendrix could take an "off the rack" guitar and create music nobody had ever imagined before or since.....