Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curt Mangan Medium Strings !

Default Curt Mangan Medium Strings !

I noticed Girouard uses these on his oval mandolins ! I have never heard of them ! Any CM users out there ?

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Default Re: Curt Mangan Medium Strings !

This will probably not help. But...

My only experience with Curt Mangan strings is I had a set on an electric guitar once. They felt "just ok".

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I use them on my mandolins and acoustic guitars. The quality is good and I like their tone and feel. I have not tried the coated version. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I have them on my The Loar right now.

TBH, I hated them compared to SIT STrings when fresh, but they do get a nice tone once the fresh strings "zing" dies down. They still carry the chop quite well despite having been installed for at least 6 months.

I'd say they're no worse than comparable string sets, and would encourage you to try them to see if they fit your taste and/or instrument.

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like the Bluegrass set, and use them on my Stiver 2-point. I posted about them here.

For my Brentrups I use Exp-74's, Martin lites for my little Vega, and Sam Bush monels for my Ludewig. So I guess I think that every mandolin sounds best when matched with the right strings.

Larry

6. The following members say thank you to Larry S Sherman for this post:

I use CM monel strings on all of my mandos. I really like them. I use mediums on two instruments and light on the other.

I tried Curt Mangan strings on my mandolin after getting my Girouard mandola that came with Mangans on it. I find they settle in very quickly and stay sounding great for a long time. I find CM uncoated strings last as long as the EXP strings but I like the feel and tone better on the CM strings.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I've tried the pb and the monels, both are a bit jangley on my mandolins for my taste.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Imuse the medium Monels as well. Like em a lot.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

I switched from J74's to Curt Mangan Mediums on my MT-O back in April and I love 'em. I find them warmer sounding as compared to the J74's.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Another vote for the monel mediums. They are the J74 gauges (11/15/26/40) and have a nice old school tone, if that's what you are looking for.

Tried a set on my MT. A bit of a volume boost and long life. Good strings.

I've been using Curt Mangan phosphor bronze on a Girouard mandolin and a Girouard mandola for a while now. Tried J 74s on the mandolin but went back to the Mangans. A little bit warmer and mellower - which suits me and the Girouard tone. I get about 3 - 4 months out of a set playing around the kitchen table every night - about 2 months if playing in sessions. Great strings for my instruments and playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff g View Post
    I've been using Curt Mangan phosphor bronze on a Girouard mandolin and a Girouard mandola for a while now. Tried J 74s on the mandolin but went back to the Mangans. A little bit warmer and mellower - which suits me and the Girouard tone. I get about 3 - 4 months out of a set playing around the kitchen table every night - about 2 months if playing in sessions. Great strings for my instruments and playing style.
    Are thees Monel or have you tried monel CM strings ?

Haven't tried the monels - just medium phosphor bronze - labelled as 'Fusion Matched' phosphor bronze. Reckon the 'Fusion' thing is just marketing hype ! I spend my time between Ireland and the UK so have to bulk order from US once a year to make it worthwhile. Might try some monels next time - some posts above seem to rate them. Having said that - I'm playing two Girouard instruments, so reckon Max has probably gone through all possibilities, string wise, and his judgement is probably better than mine. But trying different strings is always fun!

Quote Originally Posted by cliff g View Post
    Haven't tried the monels - just medium phosphor bronze - labelled as 'Fusion Matched' phosphor bronze. Reckon the 'Fusion' thing is just marketing hype ! I spend my time between Ireland and the UK so have to bulk order from US once a year to make it worthwhile. Might try some monels next time - some posts above seem to rate them. Having said that - I'm playing two Girouard instruments, so reckon Max has probably gone through all possibilities, string wise, and his judgement is probably better than mine. But trying different strings is always fun!
    My Griouard Oval A Ensemble will be born this summer ! Gold EVO frets, Gold tailpiece and Gold Rubner Luxury tuners. Also custom pick guard and black binding. Sunburst reddish finish ! Can't wait !

If my experience is anything to go by you'll really enjoy it when it arrives. And you've upgraded bits and pieces, I see. That's the joy of a custom order ! I've been sorely tempted by his guitar body octaves - but I think the family economics must come first - for now anyway !

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    My Griouard Oval A Ensemble will be born this summer ! Gold EVO frets, Gold tailpiece and Gold Rubner Luxury tuners. Also custom pick guard and black binding. Sunburst reddish finish ! Can't wait !
    Sounds like a winner to me. Max is building some great instruments and Lauri's finishes are gorgeous.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

20. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

After using Mangan strings for a year now I really like them ! They last a LONG time but why are they made so long in length ? Longest strings I have ever seen !

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

All instruments are a little different and what sounds good on one may not be the same on another.... with that in mind, best bet is to try out some different sets and see what seems to work best for you and your mandolin.

Their Monels are very nice and have more of a broke in sound right away but I prefer the phosphor bronze wound strings... personal preference is different for everyone. Try out some sets and see what ya think.

Full disclosure, I'm endorsed by Curt Mangan Strings. if you do decide to try some, use promo code "WISEMAN20" at check out and you'll get 20% off you entire order... could save you a few bucks....

Curt Mangan Strings Website
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

Thanks for promo code. I use the PB Bluegrass series on my Girouard mandolins but prefer GHS A270's on my Ellis mandolins. I still am puzzled by the length of the CM strings !! Boy are they long ! I guess better than short !

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Thanks for promo code. I use the PB Bluegrass series on my Girouard mandolins but prefer GHS A270's on my Ellis mandolins. I still am puzzled by the length of the CM strings !! Boy are they long ! I guess better than short !
    I hear ya. LOL. I'm assuming that they just package the gauges and don't trim the length... guitar, mandolin strings are all the same... there just strings, so I'm guessing they save themselves the hassle of trimming and just package at the length they are cut for guitar...
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

GOT IT ! I guess I could use the extra string for dental floss !

I just ordered his bluegrass set 11.5 16 26 40 anyone use these and does any other brand besides ghs have a 16 gauge in their medium set. I'm hoping I'll like these Mangan's

Quote Originally Posted by CBFrench View Post
    I just ordered his bluegrass set 11.5 16 26 40 anyone use these and does any other brand besides ghs have a 16 gauge in their medium set. I'm hoping I'll like these Mangan's
    GHS A270 offers 16 gauge in A string. I really like the Mangan Bluegrass strings and now trying out the Mangan Monel strings but jury still out with these.