Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crossrock fiberglass mandolin cases

Default crossrock fiberglass mandolin cases

does anyone here have one & what do you think of it.

Default Re: crossrock fiberglass mandolin cases

I've never seen them mentioned on here but here's a link :- http://www.crossrockcase.com/index.p...t=list&tid=135

They seem to be available in a few different colours - something new for moulded ABS cases,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

No, no seen one of the FG mando cases yet. I have seen a couple of their Uke cases, though, and was not too impressed. Quite flimsy and just generally not very well made.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

4. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I wouldn't know about their mandolin cases, but I bought one of their ukulele cases to fit my pocket mandolin. I sent it back. I was not happy with the quality and was not willing to risk my pocket mando in it.

thanks nice to know its junk. guess if I want a fiberglass case I will go with a Superior case.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    No, no seen one of the FG mando cases yet. I have seen a couple of their Uke cases, though, and was not too impressed. Quite flimsy and just generally not very well made.
    This is exactly the opposite of my experience. I have two Crossrock cases for concert and tenor Uke’s. I am impressed with the quality and value of each. When I fly with a ukuleles, I use a Crossrock. Crossrock is not Carlton. I know because I have a Calton for a vintage Martin guitar. At the same time, I feel the Crossrock cases I have are well worth the price - $600 less than the Calton.

Blog Entries

The two I encountered were badly made junk. Case lids did not fit correctly. Hinges cheap and nasty. Lining loose and badly fitted. Glue squeezes everywhere. Finger pressure alone was enough to distort the shells...

Maybe they have improved the QC or designs since then....
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I've never seen one but i see a lot of them available (banjo and mando cases) on Amazon warehouse deals so they're regularly returned for 30 day refunds.

It's worth checking there if you're looking for a case. Also musician's friend periodically has blowout deals on cases, you can get on their email list and get heavily spammed but once in a while there's s.t. good
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

10. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    thanks nice to know its junk. guess if I want a fiberglass case I will go with a Superior case.
    Good luck with the Superior cases. Elderly is still in a holding pattern. I had an A and an F case ordered so long ago that I gave up. They are the cases I want but I may just stay with what I’ve got. Sure would have been cool to have a brace of white Superiors.
    Mike Snyder

Blog Entries

The shell thicknesses on the 'Superior' cases are really very good. They are a strong case. Thicker than the Eastman FG cases by quite a margin. I do have a 'few' cases so I've been able to compare directly...sole complaint is that there is not a whole lot of space around the headstock and that storage is very limited, but for a fairly well-built, compact case at a fair price, they are hard to beat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cases.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	164890
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Glad I found this thread! I'm looking for an A-model hard case with backpack straps or D-rings for them. Just found this Crossrock model (ABS not FG though):

https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRA...074WL91DZ?th=1

I might take a chance and can always return it...will report back with news if I do : )

Out of Hong Kong..

seeme they have vacuum molded - ABS is a thermoplastic so hot sheet is soft, then cools while sucked over mold.

And Fiberglass ; catalyzed resin & cloth *, and layup hand labor ..

* unless glass fibers are sprayed out of a 'chopper gun'..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thumbs up Re: crossrock fiberglass mandolin cases

Quote Originally Posted by snocrvr View Post
    This is exactly the opposite of my experience. I have two Crossrock cases for concert and tenor Uke’s. I am impressed with the quality and value of each. When I fly with a ukuleles, I use a Crossrock. Crossrock is not Carlton. I know because I have a Calton for a vintage Martin guitar. At the same time, I feel the Crossrock cases I have are well worth the price - $600 less than the Calton.

2-21-18 - Because of my very positive experience with the two Crossrock ukulele cases I have, I ordered and received a Crossrock CRF1000MAFRD Fiberglass Mandolin Case. once again, I stress that the Crossrock cases I have are attractive and well made, with excellent fit and finish both inside and out. The two sides of the case fit well together, and there is extremely little flex, if any, when I push down on the shell. I just put my Crossrock CRF1000MAFRD Fiberglass Mandolin Case with the bottom of the case on a wood chair and pushed on the top with two thumbs and all my weight. (By the bottom, I mean the side that is closest to my back when using backpack straps.) No deflection! I then pushed down with two fists while I leaned on the top of the case using all my weight (270 pounds). NO deflection! Once again, I base my opinion on roughy three years of ownership. I completely trust my Crossrock CRF1000MAFRD Fiberglass Mandolin Case to protect my Ellis, Collings and Weber A style mandolins when traveling by air. I highly recommend Crossrock cases!

Blog Entries

That's good to hear.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

The two crossrock cases for ukes I have are superb. I travel regularly to perform and neither has let me down. No experience of Mando cases

Can anyone tell me if a mandolin will fit in the F case with a tone guard on?
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I've just ordered a Crossrock CRF1000MAFSL Fiberglass Mandolin Case
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759P1QS8

and a Superior CF-1520W Deluxe Fiberglass F Model Mandolin Case
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052M16JU

and I'll compare and review them once they arrive. I'll keep whichever I think is better and return the other.
    Both look to be pretty similar from the photos and descriptions, and the price is within $10.

I already own the A model of the Superior case, and it is quite good.

I received the Superior CF-1520W Deluxe Fiberglass F Model Mandolin Case today.
    It is similar to the A style Superior case that I already have. Well built. Not as strong as a Calton or Hoffee, but also less than 1/3 the price. Materials are well assembled. No glue or lining issues. It is a more snug fit than the A model is. In the A model, any of my A style mandolins fit easily with a tone-gard and armrest, with a bit of room to spare around the sides. The F model is a much tighter fit. In some ways that is good since it keeps the instrument from moving inside the case. It does put some downward pressure on the armrest however. The top padding is setup to put pressure on the sides away from the bridge, without the bridge making contact with the top. It is very snug around the headstock. The case has 4 solidly closing latches. It has a good seal that allows the edge of the top of the case to fit into a groove in the bottom of the case. It probably isn't waterproof, but certainly much more water resistant than any tolex cases. The external dimensions of the case are slightly smaller than the TKL tolex case. Also lighter then the TKL.

Some photos:

Name:	IMG_20180614_120740_1.jpg 
Views:	410 
Size:	615.6 KB 
ID:	168612

Name:	IMG_20180614_120745_HHT.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	452.4 KB 
ID:	168613

Name:	IMG_20180614_120755_HHT.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	524.6 KB 
ID:	168614

Name:	IMG_20180614_120842_HHT.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	498.7 KB 
ID:	168615

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

For what it's worth I liked my Crossrock. For whatever reason it was only about $100.00 at Amazon and it was earlier this year. I noticed they're a bit more now.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by gtani7 View Post
    I've never seen one but i see a lot of them available (banjo and mando cases) on Amazon warehouse deals so they're regularly returned for 30 day refunds.

It's worth checking there if you're looking for a case. Also musician's friend periodically has blowout deals on cases, you can get on their email list and get heavily spammed but once in a while there's s.t. good
    Yes to Musician's Friend. Got 25% off the usual price for a Hiscox there.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I also received the Crossrock CRF1000MAFSL Fiberglass Mandolin Case this afternoon.
    Also well made and assembled. No lining or glue issues. The case is slightly bigger than the Superior F case, and the mandolin fits easily with the Tone-Gard and armrest on. The case comes with an extra piece of foam wrapped in matching velvet, to help give a good fit. Without it, I don't think I would use this case with a standard F5 body size instrument. With the foam, it is well secured. The top padding is well done with a foam block at the tailpiece and one over the neck where the neck rests on the accessory compartment. With the use of the extra foam block, it seems to hold the instrument securely without putting pressure on the bridge. There is more room around the headstock than the Superior case. The accessory compartment is also slightly bigger. The case has 4 solidly closing latches. It has a good seal that allows the edge of the top of the case to fit into a groove in the bottom of the case. It probably isn't waterproof, but certainly much more water resistant than any tolex cases. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is made in the same factory as the Superior case. The latches, D-rings, hinges, bumpers & seal are identical to the Superior. That being said, this case has an arched top vs an angled then flat top on the Superior. It also has two more D-rings that allow you to use it with 2 straps (included) as a backpack, instead of only being a single shoulder strap, though you could still do that too. As far as rigidity of the cases, I could not flex the bottom compartment of either case. The top, however, was much more rigid on the Crossrock vs the Superior case. All in all, I think both are high quality cases. I would say that if you have a Tone-Gard and armrest that you want to keep attached to your mandolin, even while it is in the case, the Crossrock provides the room to do so. The Superior case was too snug, at least probably until the foam shapes itself to the instrument. On the flip side, without the Tone-Gard on, the depth of the Crossrock case, and the non-F point shaping of the foam, leaves too much room to secure the instrument very well. I think the Crossrock would be too roomy for a naked mandolin, unless you add padding to the bottom. You could pull up the velvet and add another foam layer, then put the velvet back in.
    I'm going to keep the Crossrock case because I like to leave the Tone-Gard on the mandolin (and the armrest) and I think it fits it better. If I had a mandolin without a Tone-Gard, I think I'd opt for the Superior case.

Name:	IMG_20180614_174005_1.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	651.9 KB 
ID:	168617

Name:	IMG_20180614_174013_1.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	516.7 KB 
ID:	168618

Name:	IMG_20180614_174022_HHT.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	584.1 KB 
ID:	168619

Name:	IMG_20180614_174028_HHT.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	717.1 KB 
ID:	168620

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

I have a Crossrock fiberglass Ukulele case, and it is an excellent case. It's not a Calton (I have one for my mando), but I would not hesitate to travel with the Crossrock. It is rigid, strong and light weight. Interior is very lush, and holds the Ukulele snuggly.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

"I think the Crossrock would be too roomy for a naked mandolin, unless you add padding to the bottom. You could pull up the velvet and add another foam layer, then put the velvet back in."

Al, can you speak to the fit of the Crossrock with an A Style mandolin?
    Thanks
    Rich
    2015 Passernig A5 #76
    2016 Pava Pro A5 #197

Quote Originally Posted by rdodger99 View Post
    "I think the Crossrock would be too roomy for a naked mandolin, unless you add padding to the bottom. You could pull up the velvet and add another foam layer, then put the velvet back in."

Al, can you speak to the fit of the Crossrock with an A Style mandolin?
    Thanks
    Just saw this. Sorry for the late reply. Actually an A style fits quite well, using the included foam block at the tailpiece end.

Name:	IMG_20180717_131215_HHT.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	169508
    And to revise my previous review, the mandolin is held quite securely without the tone-gard as well.
    PS - this case is on sale (but backordered) right now:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...19#post1666219

30. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Chica 

I recently acquired a Crossrock for my Weber F Fern wearing a Tone-gard and armrest and the mando fits great. I very much like the fact that the lid applies pressure to the tailpiece and the fingerboard (no pressure anywhere near the bridge or armrest.) There is no wiggle and the headstock with my little clip on micro-tuner is still a good distance from the bottom of the case. I feel quite comfortable carrying my mando in this case. I wouldn't check it on an airplane though and I imagine it isn't as tough as the $600 more expensive competitors.

I'm not fond of all the metal strap attachments all of the thing. They jingle every time one moves the case. I'm not sure if they can be removed with a very small allen wrench, but none of my allen wrenchs are small enough.

Smart looking inside and out. None of the QA defects folks spoke about in 2018. I would recommend it highly from a retailer who offers easy returns!

32. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post:

Chica