Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crossrock fiberglass mandolin cases

Default Re: crossrock fiberglass mandolin cases

Jonathan wrote:
    "There is no wiggle and the headstock with my little clip on micro-tuner is still a good distance from the bottom of the case."

I'd take that tuner OFF whenever I wasn't playing the mandolin.
    I've seen too many pegheads permanently "stained" with a spot where the tuner was clipped to it. Reminds of the mark of Cain...

I have had two crossrock cases. They are great!
    Matthew Morgan
    Western North Carolina
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Feeling Custom (F)
    20xx The Loar LM 400 (A)
    20xx The Loar LM 590VS (F)
    12/2015 Doug Clark Custom A5 Mandolin (A)
    09/2018 Kentucky KM 1050 (F)

Jonathan,

Just consider the metal rings anti-theft deterrents, lol. After the Strad was stolen from the lady in London at a cafe while she was distracted by her phone I actually tied some jingle bells to a couple of my cases just so I’d hear if someone tried to gank them . Ironically enough, those mandos wouldn’t have been worth the effort to steal and pawn
    Chuck

4. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    Jonathan wrote:
    "There is no wiggle and the headstock with my little clip on micro-tuner is still a good distance from the bottom of the case."

I'd take that tuner OFF whenever I wasn't playing the mandolin.
    I've seen too many pegheads permanently "stained" with a spot where the tuner was clipped to it. Reminds of the mark of Cain...
    Very good warning! I actually have a soft piece of leather between the tuner and the headstock to prevent any marking. I hope that is sufficient!

Looking for a better case for an F5. Are you still happy with your Crossrock cases? Seems like the best deal out there.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Looking for a better case for an F5. Are you still happy with your Crossrock cases? Seems like the best deal out there.
    I am quite happy with mine.

I thought it had a pretty strong chemical scent at first, so I left it open for a few weeks [including left it outside some sunny afternoons]. After a few weeks it was down a whole lot so I started using it. Six months later, I note no scent.

I often use a shoulder strap [and have used backpack straps] so all the attachment spots on the outside are a huge positive for me.

My one complaint is the storage area which seems smaller than it should be and a bit towards the flimsy side. That said, I have changed from hauling all my misc stuff in my case to putting it all with my gig bag with the preamp, sheet music, cords, etc - so this point is pretty much irrelevant.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Yep! Would still recommend to a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I am quite happy with mine.

I thought it had a pretty strong chemical scent at first, so I left it open for a few weeks [including left it outside some sunny afternoons]. After a few weeks it was down a whole lot so I started using it. Six months later, I note no scent.

I often use a shoulder strap [and have used backpack straps] so all the attachment spots on the outside are a huge positive for me.

My one complaint is the storage area which seems smaller than it should be and a bit towards the flimsy side. That said, I have changed from hauling all my misc stuff in my case to putting it all with my gig bag with the preamp, sheet music, cords, etc - so this point is pretty much irrelevant.
    I’m hoping you aren’t considering one for your Schumegl. The Devistator deserves at least a Calton.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I just happen to have a Crossrock FG case that I was going to post for sale at some point. It's a perfectly fine case, but I need to clear some excess stuff out and have been opting for an oblong case lately. Plus I have more cases than instruments! PM if you're interested...

Check your PM.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I realize this is an older thread, but I wonder if anyone has tried this case with and early F2 or F4. In the past I have carved out a Travelite and a Superior to fit the shorter neck length of the old Gibsons. Will I face that with this case?

The major plus is that I can leave my tone goard on ....I think.

Thanks

Greg

13. The following members say thank you to 3apltrez for this post:

Hi. Thanks to this thread I ordered a Crossrock FG case and It arrived. It's awesome and my V-Mandolin fits very well. Thanks to all for your advices! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2476.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	520.0 KB 
ID:	189101