Thread: Article: Emory Lester Interview

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Registered User Ginny Aitchison's Avatar

Default Re: Article: Emory Lester Interview

Emory's lessons have changed my life. Whether through Skype or in his studio, I have learned more than the important techniques; I have learned musicality, clarity, fluidity, feel, proper fingering, position, and wanting to come back for the next lesson having practiced all he had to offer in each lesson. He surprises you at every turn by solving a problem you never thought you had but was soon obvious to you when he demonstrated the best way to address it. Above all, for me, is his patience, something I'm sure I have tested more times than not. Even if I lose patience, he does not; when I have lost confidence, he hands it back to me. I went from Bluegrass to Celtic with him and the genre is irrelevant. A mandolin is a mandolin. Emory Lester is Emory Lester.
    Thank you for this interview. It was very interesting and insightful...and yes, a long time coming. But as you say , 'worth the wait'.

Thanks Scott for tracking down Emory and posting a brilliant interview with him. Emory is an amazing multi-instrumentalist, fabulous teacher and fine human being. He has played with so many of the other greats, and cuts his own musical trail as well.

bass player gone mando

"Overland" is still on the Cafe MP3 "grass" page - that's my ideal of how to play and has been since the first time I heard it. Traditional 'grass is great but I love how Emory opens it up harmonically and sonically.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

One of the best to ever touch pick to a mandolin. Thanks for the great interview, Scott!!

Blog Entries

Great interview! NICE. I first heard of Emory when he played mandolin on my Uncle Dick's first album with Mike O "The Dick Smith Mike O'Rielly Band in 1998 and it blew me away at the time as being different kind of style. Its still a great recording 20 years later.

Very nice piece. Such a thoughtful and generous on top of being such an amazing musician. Thanks

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wonderful interview. While not a universal truth, this bumper sticker came to mind:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171120_074524.jpg 
Views:	965 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	162438

I've always felt like Emory is criminally underappreciated. Super glad to see this!

Completely agree.

This thread made me take another look at his Mandolin Monday. Talent, innovation and fun rolled together.

A great interview with a wonderfully talented musician. Thanks Scott for the interview, thanks Emory for the music!

I’ve been a student of Emory’s for several years now, his approach to music and playing the mandolin is exceptional and through his teaching I have learned so much more than just playing the notes. He’s patient, kind, understanding, and a great cheerleader.

Great interview Scott, thanks for posting!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Funny thing is that I had talked to Emory at some picking places and never knew who I was talking to until I seen his picture on this post about the interview, He lived in this area for a while and picked with a lot of our local pickers....

I have never heard any of his recordings but will start looking for some to listen to....

Willie

Blog Entries

Noting the one year anniversary of this interview with a long-time Cafe favorite.

16. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Thanks for kicking this back up to the top of the list, Scott. I went to Brian Oberlin's camp in Grand Rapids this summer, and Emory was one of the instructors. What a monster player, and all-around fantastic guy! Looking forward to reading this.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Blog Entries

One of our favorite interviews from the last few years, published this date two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    One of our favorite interviews from the last few years, published this date two years ago.
    Thanks for bumping this thread. If Emory Lester had a dollar for every time I watched him play a Northfield Big Mon on YouTube, he probably could buy a mandolin from all of his friends. Haha. I bet he's sold more than a handful of Northfield mandolins based on his playing. A great talent.

I can't say enough good things about Emory Lester. I first learned of his mandolin playing from the Northfield videos and yes, I did finally buy one! And I met Emory at a mando camp in Nashville, so I was lucky enough to meet him in person. What a great guy, great teacher, great player! Two of his cd's are my favorites of all time, At Dusk and Reminiscing Today, which contain masterful mandolin compositions. No one plays it like Emory.

Blog Entries

Noting today's anniversary of this interview.

Blog Entries

Noting the anniversary of this interview.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries