Thread: Any thoughts on Weber mandocellos? Anyone here played one?

Default Any thoughts on Weber mandocellos? Anyone here played one?

I'm considering going for a Weber mandocello, but I am also considering a few other individual makers. Has anyone played Weber's mandocellos and have an opinion on them one way or another?

I'm actually quite unfamiliar with Weber's lineup -- I currently play a Collings MT and love it, and when i started out I had an Eastman F-style and hated how it sounded and played; my Eastman was clearly cheap junk made to look good. Recently I've also been playing a Fletcher Brock octave mando and love it, so I'm considering him for a mandocello.

Thanks forum!

Default Re: Any thoughts on Weber mandocellos? Anyone here played one?

Check out our "CBOM" Forum where the Weber instruments are frequently discussed, as are Brock's 'cellos.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I own a Weber Mandocello (Yellowstone A shape, F holes) built in 2016. I bought it from TMS (was interested in an Eastman, but Dennis talked me into the Weber and also gave me a smoking deal on it since it had been sitting around a while) a couple of months ago, and I love the thing. Wood and build qualities are exceptional, fit/finish awesome, and I absolutely love the tone. It positively rumbles, and I've even used it to play rhythm on a couple of songs in our praise band. The first time I hit a C chord three of the kids almost got whiplash turning around to check it out, lol. Great volume, but not brash like some of the less expensive models I've heard.

I've played a whopping 2 mandocelli, so my experience is extremely limited. My other test drive was on a Rattlesnake at Carter's several years ago. It was a GBMC and sounded nice, but was a bit unwieldy to play and, I thought, a bit quiet (though I was respectfully not wailing on it, and it could have used new strings). I much prefer the playability, tone, and volume of my Yellowstone. FWIW, I used to own a Weber signed Hyalite OM, and I don't see any drop off in quality since he parted ways with TOH, at least based upon my MC and another Weber mandolin I've played recently. (I didn't expect that to be the case, and will admit pleasant surprise).

If you can wait, having Fletcher build you one would be very cool, indeed, but I don't hesitate to recommend the Weber based on my very positive experience!
    Last edited by CES; Nov-13-2017 at 3:27pm.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by jarombra View Post
    I'm considering going for a Weber mandocello, but I am also considering a few other individual makers. Has anyone played Weber's mandocellos and have an opinion on them one way or another?

I'm actually quite unfamiliar with Weber's lineup -- I currently play a Collings MT and love it, and when i started out I had an Eastman F-style and hated how it sounded and played; my Eastman was clearly cheap junk made to look good. Recently I've also been playing a Fletcher Brock octave mando and love it, so I'm considering him for a mandocello.

Thanks forum!
    I own a Weber Gallatin mandocello and it is by far my favorite member of the mandolin family. I have no reservations recommending it. I imagine they only get better the high up you go.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Have a vintage oval hole custom, and it's superb. It holds it's own with any, both in tone and volume. I think if you're in the league where you're also talking about a Brock, you probably can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Classicalcomp View Post
    I own a Weber Gallatin mandocello and it is by far my favorite member of the mandolin family. I have no reservations recommending it.
    Likewise! I have a 2004 Gallatin F that is tremendous from the open low C string to well up the A string. It's a total keeper!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories