Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Undocumented Loar? Gibson Style H-5 Mandol

Default Re: Undocumented Loar? Gibson Style H-5 Mandol

Hello again, all - I just wanted to jump in briefly to follow up on my previous posting.

First, the purchaser of the Loar instrument has already been kind enough to reach out for me, and I will, in fact, be providing them with whatever information and documents I have relating to my "Great Uncle Joe" (man, how I wish I could have known my Grandfather and his brother - from everything I've heard, they were real hoots - kind of the "hipsters" of their era, if you will - oh, well).

Second, I've enjoyed reading all your posts. The amount of detailed knowledge that you all have regarding these fine instruments is astounding. As you might imagine, I had very mixed feelings about selling these instruments. The older I got, though, the more I realized that the best way to TRULY honor my Great Uncle and these instruments, was to get the instruments into the hands of individuals who have the knowledge and skill to really appreciate them and bring them back to life. And the more I read your posts, the more I realized that I had made the right decision. Thank you for that.

Lastly, to answer Bob Clark's question, yes, I have considered learning how to play a mandolin. I've plunked around with guitars most of my life, and my son has also shown an interest in stringed instruments, so perhaps little bits of Great Uncle Joe are still floating around somewhere. Who knows? And after all, aren't we approaching the 100th birthdays of the Rybka Mandolin and the Rybka Mandola? Hmmm..... something for me to ponder, I suppose.

Take care, and happy holidays to all. Jim Rybka

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James Rybka For This Useful Post:

As per promise I will try to post some pics of the binding which to me appears very tortoise ish.... judge for your self
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	504.9 KB 
ID:	163699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scroll.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	504.3 KB 
ID:	163700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scroll2.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	466.0 KB 
ID:	163701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	treble.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	463.8 KB 
ID:	163702
    Last edited by JFDilmando; Jan-03-2018 at 4:05pm. Reason: typo
    John D

4. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

Blog Entries

Very Nice, Real strange looking binding, very unlike the "tortoise type binding seen on some of the F-2's?" Can't believe how cheap that baby sold for, someone got a deal! NICE!
    Also how about the 24 F-4 with virzi with a Loar F-5 green lined case that was in the same auction and practically given away

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    As per promise I will try to post some pics of the binding which to me appears very tortoise ish.... judge for your self
    That looks like oxidized finish (interaction with case) or starting binding rot. Or someone put some kind ofo wax or polish that reacted with the finish.
    Adrian

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Looks to me like it just needs a little TLC, it’s not tortoise binding, that makes no sense to me at all. Just discolored.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

The binding on the "First Loar" June 1 1922 has the same discoloration. Gilchrist told me he felt it was caused by some type of solvent used to "clean the mandolin". The discoloration is not just on the surface, but is all the way through the binding.

Blog Entries

Back to the Virzi F-4 in Cremona with a Loar F-5 case-I believe this one was part of the Rybka collection! The quality and wood selection was topps! And being a 1924 it falls in line and well was sold with the other Rybka instruments! Vey interesting-I about had that F-4 bought but cancelled at the last second-Bummer!