Thread: Pac rim mandolin wood

Default Pac rim mandolin wood

where are they getting it from & how good is it compared to an U.S. made mandolin. I am sorry if I am keeping you guys on your toes but I am kind of new or should I say getting back into the mandolin after kind of being sick for a long time. I may never be real good but I would just love to be able to play amazing grace in my Church.

2. The following members say thank you to mandolin tony for this post:

Default Re: Pac rim mandolin wood

According to my googling, "Pac Rim tone wood" comes from may sources. Canada, The Pacific Northwest, pretty much all over. I'm sure it depends on the quality level of the instrument.

Manufacturing is global now, that includes tone wood.

Pick a brand and find their web site. They will usually give you the specs. Bear in mind that they will only use the word “solid” for the parts that are not laminated. Many retailers’ sites will have those same specs to help you decide.

The standard for the most common arch top styles is some variety of spruce for the top, maple for the back and sides. Fretboards are usually either rosewood or ebony.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

How good is it compared to a US made mandolin? That really depends on the make and model. Some of them can be really nice. I think a Kentucky KM950 would be good enough for most folks. Those are in the $800 used/ $1100 new range.

If you had more money than that... I would personally just get a used Collings MT.

It's not just about the wood... but the construction, carving, etc.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

always wondering how well they cure their wood before they use it to make an instrument.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin tony View Post
    always wondering how well they cure their wood before they use it to make an instrument.
    The vast majority of the 'better' to high-end manufacturers/builders buy their materials from suppliers in the US or Europe. Some even give fairly precise descriptions of the source.... much of the 'seasoning' is carried out by tone-wood suppliers anyway. Builders may well subject it to further periods. Can only say that I have seen some truly first-rate materials, by any standards, used on both higher-end Kentucky and (definitely) Northfield mandolins. Here's a couple I have personally encountered. First, a KM-1000:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	km1000back.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	162194

Then, Northfield 'Big Mon':

Name:	Northfield_back.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	162195

This all very good stuff.....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post

Then, Northfield 'Big Mon':

Name:	Northfield_back.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	162195
    See those reddish lines running with the grain on that Northfield??
    Those lines indicate that the wood is either Chinese in origin, or Eastern Red or Rock maple....
    Not European, and not Bigleaf...
    You see those lines a lot in Chinese fiddles, and most violin makers steer clear of the stuff because it screams "Chinese", and they want it to scream "Italian"...
    But mandolin makers will use the stuff, as will Les Paul enthusiasts--you see a lot of '58-60 LPs with worm track (as it's called in the biz) in the tops...

9. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

I have traveled to the fender and Gibson Factory in Dalian China. The tone would they use is primarily from Argentina, although they do get a fair amount from Burma. Most of it is kiln-dried, which simply means they stick a pallet of tonewood in a hot room close all the doors for a couple days to cook out the green from the wood.

I have also been to violin factories in hebei province which also buys their wood from Burma. These factories also Kiln dry their wood, but they also store their own tonewood turn it by hand and age it for many years.

The factory that makes the Michael Kelly and Epiphone products is Korean owned and managed. Most of their wood apparently comes from Burma.

11. The following members say thank you to themandocello for this post:

Spruce 

Northfield states that their wood is all sourced in North America, and then assembled overseas.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    See those reddish lines running with the grain on that Northfield??
    Those lines indicate that the wood is either Chinese in origin, or Eastern Red or Rock maple....
    Not European, and not Bigleaf...
    You see those lines a lot in Chinese fiddles, and most violin makers steer clear of the stuff because it screams "Chinese", and they want it to scream "Italian"...
    But mandolin makers will use the stuff, as will Les Paul enthusiasts--you see a lot of '58-60 LPs with worm track (as it's called in the biz) in the tops...
    That back/sides set was sourced in the US and sent over to China for the build. At the time, Northfield were charging $1K extra for 'special' top/back/sides sets (customers could even choose) and this is one of them. I think it is Eastern Red.

You can click on the photos here to see what they use...

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com...able-wood-sets

They also said "Our premium maple sets are exceptionally curled/flamed. We have been holding back a variety of pieces ranging from unbelievable quartered tiger-striped/flamed Red Maple we found in Montreal (cut in the 1980s) and some flat sawn Sugar and Red Maple sets with very unusual grain/figure patterns. Some of them are available as 1 piece backs, but most are 2 piece. These maple sets are extraordinary"
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Nov-10-2017 at 3:21am.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by themandocello View Post
    I have traveled to the fender and Gibson Factory in Dalian China. The tone would they use is primarily from Argentina, although they do get a fair amount from Burma. Most of it is kiln-dried, which simply means they stick a pallet of tonewood in a hot room close all the doors for a couple days to cook out the green from the wood.

I have also been to violin factories in hebei province which also buys their wood from Burma. These factories also Kiln dry their wood, but they also store their own tonewood turn it by hand and age it for many years.

The factory that makes the Michael Kelly and Epiphone products is Korean owned and managed. Most of their wood apparently comes from Burma.
    There are very large tonewood operations in China, but I've never seen them documented or photographed anywhere....
    (It's been awhile since I've done a search....).
    For that very reason, I wanted to go over there and do an article (Fretboard Journal?)...

We're talking both spruce and maple here, and potentially very high quality....

I remember a thread a whole back where someone stripped down their Eastman 315, and there was a bit of speculation from the wood experts as to where the "spruce" top came from, and whether it was, in fact, spruce. No time to search for it at the moment, but will try to remember to do so later...

That said, I own an Eastman 315, it plays well, sounds very good, and has been stable in some wide temp/humidity swings (in its role as my trusty "beater") for over three years now. I recommend their 300 series mandos frequently, and remain pleased with mine, regardless of what the top wood is or isn't...

There was a FB Journal article within the past 18 months that detailed a trip to Vietnam's "Luthier Street." The instruments the authors brought home all eventually failed because of the extreme humidity difference between there and southern California. Whether that was a "seasoning" issue or simply due to the extreme humidity difference I can't say. But, the imports from the more reputable companies manufacturing in Korea, Indonesia, and China have stood the test of time, IMO.
    Chuck

Chuck