Thread: $199.00 Kala Tenor

Default $199.00 Kala Tenor

There is no question what you should do here is there?

https://kalabrand.com/products/tenor-guitar

This looks like a closeout. They really lowered this price. If you ever wanted a tenor now might be the time. NFI
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Default Re: $199.00 Kala Tenor

It looks like a great deal but right now I have 3 tenors, 2 mandos, 2 six string guitars, a dobro, 3 ukes and 4 keyboards.

I had tried ordering one a week ago and they were out. They didn't respond to an email I had sent through their online email so I sent a message to them through their Facebook site and they responded promptly. They were sold out but were expecting more. A couple days later they contacted me (through FB)saying they had gotten 20 in that day but they were all gone but would get in touch with me because more were expected. Tuesday I got the note that they had gotten five more in so I got my order in and it is on its way. As of this morning it looks like they still have some stock. 21.5" scale so they are pretty similar to the old Regals but with a slightly larger body. Rosewood sides and back. No problems with shipping of the Rosewood. The 200 is including shipping and a case. Sound clips on their site.

5. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

crusty curmudgeon..... Brian Sharpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    It looks like a great deal but right now I have 3 tenors, 2 mandos, 2 six string guitars, a dobro, 3 ukes and 4 keyboards.
    n+1
    B#

Breedlove American OF
    Eastman MD504

7. The following members say thank you to Brian Sharpe for this post:

I got one just because. It's very nice. No case or bag. Added a neck strap button.

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    I had tried ordering one a week ago and they were out. They didn't respond to an email I had sent through their online email so I sent a message to them through their Facebook site and they responded promptly. They were sold out but were expecting more. A couple days later they contacted me (through FB)saying they had gotten 20 in that day but they were all gone but would get in touch with me because more were expected. Tuesday I got the note that they had gotten five more in so I got my order in and it is on its way. As of this morning it looks like they still have some stock. 21.5" scale so they are pretty similar to the old Regals but with a slightly larger body. Rosewood sides and back. No problems with shipping of the Rosewood. The 200 is including shipping and a case. Sound clips on their site.
    Are you sure about a case being included?

I just went back and double checked the correspondence with them...comes with a gig bag. Does not specify make.
    Sorry about that. Still a heckuva deal.

Someone posted this a few months ago and I was sorely tempted.

I would prefer a 21" scale, like the Kala, but when I tried one if felt like a larger uke/toy, which isn't surprising considering the maker. At the end of the day I preferred my Harmony Monterey and passed on the Kala (it was a trade deal). Not saying it's bad, just not to my taste as I was expecting a guitar.

Pricing is great for what it is so if you want and can get, go for it!
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I see you have the same syndrome as me...

Mine did not include a bag or case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Visentin View Post
    Mine did not include a bag or case.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	162095

Definitely thought about buying one when I was looking at tenor guitars, but I went with the Ibanez instead. Of course the Ibanez is 23" scale and I can't help but think 21" scale would be easier on my left hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ajh View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	162095
    Mine came in earlier today. Let it sit and acclimate in the box for awhile.
    No gigbag.

Random impressions:
    Sounds really nice (has D'Ad strings) as is but does need to be setup better.
    Looking down the neck it is just a little uneven but acceptable.
    Has truss rod with adjuster in the body. They include the wrench.
    Made in China but the workmanship is actually really good. Even the fret ends are good.
    No glue squish out anywhere inside or out.
    Inexpensive tuners that seem to work fine.
    Sides and back are Rosewood but nothing fancy at all. Top is clear and nicely grained. Nicely done binding.
    Satin finish with a tight seal to the top but open pores on the back.
    Measured it up against my 20's Regal Tenor. Overall length, body length and body thickness are the same. Scale is 21.5" vs the Regals 21". Body is larger than the Regal by 1.75"" wider at top bout, 1" at waist, 1.5" lower bout.
    NFI....but if you want to try a short scale tenor and don't mind futzing with the setup these are a great deal. Especially with free shipping.

Hate cheap gig bags anyhow.

I contacted Kala about this, and received some context a few days ago. The following is from a FB message from Kala:

1. [...] because of new CITES regulations banning the sale and shipment of Rosewood overseas we cannot ship these from our headquarters internationally. These instruments were all made before this regulation was put in place (otherwise we would definitely ship these to everyone we could). Once we sell out of all available stock on these tenor guitars our CEO will consider renewing them with a different wood type and then of course they will have international friendly specs (I'm not sure when that would happen yet). I'm super sorry about the inconvenience this causes, this regulation is affecting much of the musical instrument industry as a whole lately.

2. The price will remain the same for the foreseeable future

3. The Tenor Guitar was discontinued for a brief time due to lack of dealer interest, we drastically lowered the price on these instruments and began selling them online exclusively through our own site with much greater success. This has inspired our production manager to consider renewing them with international friendly specs once inventory on these instruments runs out.#

4. The instruments do not come with a gig bag but we are hoping to have some up on our site for sale and to have them come free with a tenor guitar purchase once an international model is available.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wherahiko For This Useful Post:

I compared a Kala to a GoldTone and found the Kala to have an much more pleasing tone etc. Looks like a good inexpensive tenor
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Headsup....they are back in stock.

How would you compare this to a Gold Tone GT 10?

Yeah, I tried to order one but they don't--and apparently can't--ship here. Looks like I'll have to hold out for something other than rosewood.
    Northfield F2S
    Howard Morris A-4
    Eastman DGM3 Mandola
    Eastman MD805PGE
    Miscellaneous tingums

I just played a Gold-Tone and was pretty darn impressed. If you look on eBay and reverb.com there are a few to be had there for under $250. One with a nice plush case... at least as of a few days ago.