Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric mandolin.

Default Electric mandolin.

What's the best electric mandolin?
    Solid body?
    Can anyone know me about the Mandolin ortega RMFE AVO?
    I like F-style.
    I play irish music.

Thank's

Default Re: Electric mandolin.

Solid body sounds very different from an acoustic mandolin. You can sort of get it to sound close but not quite. Only really needed if you play in a loud rock band where feedback from amplified acoustic instruments is an issue.

Acoustic-electric is basically an amplified acoustic instrument, usually with a piezo pickup, installed directly into the body. Sometimes comes with an integrated equalizer as well.

I have no idea about Ortega; I think they're a German maker. The mandolin you mention looks like a typical acoustic-electric with a piezo. If you're in Germany, you should try it at a music store and see if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    Solid body sounds very different from an acoustic mandolin. You can sort of get it to sound close but not quite. Only really needed if you play in a loud rock band where feedback from amplified acoustic instruments is an issue.
    They can fit in well in other places, though they really are a niche instrument. They tend to work well in jazzier settings, especially western swing and small jazz combos.

I need an electric mandolin that has: a good set, good material, straight keyboard, in short, without having to make adjustments by a lute-maker. Thank's

Above is hollow body piezo soundboard pickup.. Korea supplier to Fender Corp.

Want a solid body, magnetic pickup, and F5 style outline? perhaps a builder can make just what you want ,

what is your budget?, expect them to start at a thousand...

a section devoted to electrics : https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/f...ring-Electrics

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Above is hollow body piezo soundboard pickup.. Korea supplier ti Fender Corp.

Want a solid body, magnetic pickup, and F5 style outline? perhaps a builder can make just what you want ,

what is your budget?, expect them to start at a thousand...

I want a mandolin f-style, not solid body, the budget I would spend is about € 1000

Blog Entries

You apparently want an acoustic mandolin with an electric pickup.Some ready-made exist, or you can have a shop install a pickup in any mandolin you choose. You of course need to be handy regarding amplification issues--whether to use your own speaker or only send to a house sound system, etc.

Your referenced Ortega might be fine, and it does have a built-in preamp section so you can adjust volume and tone color on the instrument, as most acoustic-electric guitars these days have. The question of how loud you need to be is important. If the setting is not an amplified band, an acoustic-electric mandolin is convenient. If the setting is louder, the choice of pickup system becomes important, with some designs more prone to microphonic feedback.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

In my humble opinion, an acoustic-electric might be preferable to a solid-body. You typically can't play at as high volume, but you have the benefit of being able to also play unamplified. Solid-body electric mandolins with their magnetic pickups tend to sound like a small electric guitar, and the only way -- again, in my opinion -- this would work in Irish music would be in a high-volume stage band (Dropkick Murphys, or something like that).

I gather that your wish to avoid "adjustments by a lute-maker" (gee, you know a lute-maker? Or, perhaps, a luthier...) might be that you don't want to have to install a pickup on an acoustic instrument -- which is generally the recommendation on the Cafe. If what you're saying is that you want to buy one that is guaranteed to have the proper set-up, without being checked out, that's a different story, and a harder goal to achieve.

The Ovation MCS-148 "Celebrity" acoustic-electric is a lower-priced version of their electric mandolin series. It has some "peculiar" features from a mandolin point of view: a fixed bridge, rather than the "floating" bridge, not glued to the top, of most mandolins; a bridge design that takes ball-end strings, rather than the loop-end strings and tailpiece, that's most common with mandolins. While not as well-reviewed as the more expensive Ovations, it might be quite adequate for your needs.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Epiphone mm-50e. I have a friend with one of these. The placement of the pick up gives a "mellower" tone and the controls are all on the pickguard. I kind of want one but it is in line kind of far behind a lot of other mandolins, music gear and other stuff I want.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Blu...fessional.aspx

Probably joining the many, get an F style Mandolin you like the sound of then add a Pickup,
    piezo, external Carpenters jack on the edge, also not inside. , and then add a Preamp..

there is a guy touting a thin magnetic coil pickup , elsewhere on this site, he likes..

drop the need it look like an F5 and you have the Ovation mentioned above, and Godin A8..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

According to you, what is the best electric mandolin:

1) Ortega RMFE100AVO;
    2) Ovation MM68AX;
    3) Epiphone MM50E.
    4) Godin A8.

Thank's.

Out of those, the Godin is the best. The others aren't even close.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinita View Post
    According to you, what is the best electric mandolin:

1) Ortega RMFE100AVO;
    2) Ovation MM68AX;
    3) Epiphone MM50E.
    4) Godin A8.

Thank's.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Gasp wheeze hack snort ... A Fender FM62SCE for $1,200? That's at least twice as expensive as it should be.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Don't necessarily rule out a solid body. Depends what you want to do with it. I have an Eastwood Mandocaster which I played in an Irish band for several years. We were playing bars, nursing homes, and noisy St. Patrick's Day parties. None of these required a perfect acoustic sound and with a bit of tweaking my amplifier, I got a tone that was plenty good enough. With some of the amps preset modeled amps I could really make it wail too.
    Bonus#1- unplugged it's a nearly silent practice instrument.
    Bonus #2- it looks like a mini Telecaster which to me was cool enough to seal the deal.
    It's a very well made instrument with a nice neck. Rugged as heck too, so it can stand a bit of knocking around at gigs.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

15. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

I have a Rono that I'm actually looking to sell...but it's a solid body

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Orr View Post
    I have a Rono that I'm actually looking to sell...but it's a solid body
    Thank's, but I want to buy a new mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Don't necessarily rule out a solid body. Depends what you want to do with it. I have an Eastwood Mandocaster which I played in an Irish band for several years. We were playing bars, nursing homes, and noisy St. Patrick's Day parties. None of these required a perfect acoustic sound and with a bit of tweaking my amplifier, I got a tone that was plenty good enough. With some of the amps preset modeled amps I could really make it wail too.
    Bonus#1- unplugged it's a nearly silent practice instrument.
    Bonus #2- it looks like a mini Telecaster which to me was cool enough to seal the deal.
    It's a very well made instrument with a nice neck. Rugged as heck too, so it can stand a bit of knocking around at gigs.

Could you rewrite your reviews about mandolins?
    Thank you

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Could you rewrite your reviews about mandolins?
    Thank you
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm no mandolin expert and all of my mandolins are pretty low end. I'm just giving my thoughts about that solid body mandolin. Feel free to contact me if you want more.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm no mandolin expert and all of my mandolins are pretty low end. I'm just giving my thoughts about that solid body mandolin. Feel free to contact me if you want more.

Ok, thank you for your suggestions. If you have other suggestions to give me, do not hesitate

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Joel at Earnest Instruments in Maine makes some nice ones. If you contact him, he'll have a lot to say on the subject.

Thank's, but I want to buy a new mandolin
    If it makes any difference, I've hardly ever used it...it's even had the same strings on there for eight years!

I'm going to make my own out of my Rogue. There are cigar box pickups on ebay really cheap, and it won't bother me carving up the Rogue at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meN3M7V3c8cnL9BFkmBfcsg.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	162056

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Jonathan Mann's instruments are top quality.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billhay4 For This Useful Post:

I would like a mandolin with adjustable height bridge, I think it is a useful property, right?
    I'm undecided between Godin A8 and Ortega RMFEAVO100. What do you recommend me to these two mandolins?
    Thank you

Used a Godin mandolin on stage for 10 years. Very reliable and I highly recommend it.