Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GAS torture: decked out A-style or low-end F-style?

Default Re: GAS torture: decked out A-style or low-end F-style?

I didnt appreciate spruce vs adirondack for years. Now that i have guitars and mandos with addy, i think its a plus. In terms of guitar amplifiers, addy has more headroom and seemingly, for me, treble clarity. Spruce is great too, but addy is my preference.
    There are a number of different spruce species, and adirondack is one of them. In my experience, you can't safely make sweeping claims about any particular species.

2. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Thanks for all your thoughts. I bought the Beartooth. When I took it back to the shop after borrowing it for the weekend I felt like part of my soul had been ripped out, so I took that as a sign that I must have it.

A big plus is that it is new, even though 13 years old. I took great pleasure registering the warranty on Weber's website. I couldn't possibly get anywhere near this level in an F style new (even old stock) for $2200. Yes, I will probably have a few pangs of regret for not getting an F. Seeing that Yellowstone above gave me such a pang, but I remind myself that it is used, and even though described as being in "great condition," I'd rather have a new instrument that I have seen and played and fallen in love with. As I said in my initial post I bought and returned a mando through reverb.com described as "excellent plus", it definitely was not.

Also, as stevedenver noted above, I'm accustomed to guitar prices, so $4-5K for a new mid-level F is some serious sticker shock. This $2200 is the most I've spent on an instrument since I bought my Martin HD-28 new in 2002, I think it was ~$2500. Someday maybe I'll get an F style, I'm just not ready (or able) to put that much $$ into a mando right now. I'd eventually like to have both an A and F. Hey, I've got multiple guitars to suit different music styles, why not have both types of mandolin?

Plus, this. That's a Beartooth.

Congrats and enjoy! Good decision.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Good call, IMHO. If you find yourself having to have a scroll you can always pick up an Eastman 315 or 515 pretty inexpensively down the line, but now you know you’ve got a keeper, with no risk!!
    Chuck

Good Luck with your "A" Im looking for one myself