Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LH Technique / Finger-span / Thumb Position

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: LH Technique / Finger-span / Thumb Position

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    1) 8.75"
    2) Ring finger
    3) After a concerted effort, I use the Mike Marshall, modified violin grip. This was super difficult to adapt, as I spent many years playing a 7 string electric guitar and others with wide, flat necks. That lends to classical left hand technique. A few years ago, I switched over to a Strat, with a much rounder neck, so I was doing the Jimi, SRV thumb-over grip. Needless to say, everything about the mandolin has been quite different than what I was used to.
    Jimi, SRV, Merle Travis, Doc Watson, and those original, early acoustic blues players - A lot of years throwing my thumb over the neck, I know what you mean.

I tried hard to keep my open space and not "palm" my mandolin neck, but I found myself instinctively going there for certain passages in some tunes - and finding myself really "stuck" then in terms of getting to the next position. Re-training to have my thumb pointed toward the neck as my "home" or "go to" position has been the answer for me but it's not easy. I embrace "re-training" these days though, when it comes to solving technical issues or improving technique or musicality.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    I embrace "re-training" these days though, when it comes to solving technical issues or improving technique or musicality.
    Amen. All of my guitar playing utilized modified economy picking, meaning I paid absolutely zero attention to pick direction. The only exception was all the metal rhythm guitar playing, which was all downstrokes. Palm-muted 8th notes on the low E string at 220 bpm with a good amount of distortion sound wicked.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

3. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

1. 8-1/4
    2. 3rd finger
    3. Same as Louise (my primary teacher is a violinist)

@ Mark Gunther. I have short fingers and your method of thumb position on back of neck actually gives me the best reach and string attack.

6. The following members say thank you to SanMan56 for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    1) 8.75"
    2) Ring finger
    3) After a concerted effort, I use the Mike Marshall, modified violin grip. This was super difficult to adapt, as I spent many years playing a 7 string electric guitar and others with wide, flat necks. That lends to classical left hand technique. A few years ago, I switched over to a Strat, with a much rounder neck, so I was doing the Jimi, SRV thumb-over grip. Needless to say, everything about the mandolin has been quite different than what I was used to.

That's odd. When I got started on the mandolin about 50 years ago (after 10 years of guitar) my approach to left hand technique was exactly the same: don't use the left hand to support the neck, just bring the hand to the neck and let the thumb land where it lands. There was abolutely no effort involved.

I have short fingers, but I let my thumb wrap around the neck in a natural feel. What I feel is more important is keeping the fingers curled like you would on piano, guitar, typing, endless things where speed and accuracy are important.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Haha... my thumb feels lucky when she occasionally gets to peek over the edge of the neck. Wrap around it? She cannot even imagine that!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Interesting thread. My left-hand approach depends to a some extent on what I'm doing, but in general:

1. Just shy of 9"; call it 8 7/8". Apparently a bit on the short side, but then again so am I (5'6").
    2. Generally the 3rd finger; sometimes the 4th in fast passages. That's probably a bad habit.
    3. In 1st position I anchor the ball of the thumb loosely on the side of the neck with the left edge at or near the nut. If a small stretch is required I tend to roll the thumb more nearly parallel along the neck, pointing towards the headstock. Thinking about it, this isn't terribly different from what I do on violin.

That's for single-note passages. When chords are involved my thumb tends to move to a position more nearly opposite the index finger.

And that's as nearly as I can reconstruct any of this while sitting here without a mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to John Lloyd for this post: