Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfields

Default Northfields

They are a Chinese import, yes? Are they worth the money? They cost significantly more than all the other Chinese imports. What makes them stand out?

Default Re: Northfields

You might want to start by reading this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ght=NORTHFIELD 50 pages.

A search of the word 'Northfield' will bring up a few hundred other related threads.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

3. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    You might want to start by reading this thread: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ght=NORTHFIELD 50 pages.

A search of the word 'Northfield' will bring up a few hundred other related threads.
    Thanks

I've played a lot of Northfields and a lot of Eastman's. There's no comparison in my opinion. I thought the Northfields I played were in the same ballpark as Collings in terms of tone, playability, etc., albeit much cheaper.

As to what makes them stand out over the other imports, for me it is a richness to the tone, particularly the G string. I hear a big tonal improvement between the higher end of the regular Eastman and Kentucky lines and the Northfield F 5S, with the Master built Kentucys being somewhere in the middle. Only you can judge if you would spend the extra grand.

The F 5s Northfields I've played were in their own spot in the marketplace. A very fine spot. Their higher end mandolins compete with anything and it is subjective at that point.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I like them as well. I think Eastman lower end instruments are about the best entry level mandos out there, but I think the higher end Eastman’s aren’t as good as the Northfields. Just my opinion.

In this specific thread, a person from Northfield gives all the particulars of the builds
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ield-Mandolins

Blog Entries

One point of fact, they are not all "Chinese imports" anyway... some are built entirely in the US. e.g., the Model M.

I think we need to move beyond just grouping everything from one location together and assess things on the basis of what they are and not where they are built. Unless you live in Canada, Heiden's are "imports" too... so are Gilchrist's (unless you live in Australia), over here, a Gibson MM is also an "import".

The world is a big place. Superb instruments are being made in many places. I'd certainly include Northfield's in that. They are very fine mandolins in their own right.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

I was under the impression that only the Model M was built entirely in the United States.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Blog Entries

That's correct. However, as they have built more than one single Model M I used the plural
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

From Em Tee - "What makes them stand out ?" Exceptional build quality,tone & playability. They're so good,several top line players play them as their main instruments,
    Ivan
    PS - Here's one of them - Emory Lester.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

13. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I've owned a couple Collings, Webers, a Pava, 3 Northfields, and now a Gibson F. The Northfields I owned gave up nothing against the other makers. Build quality and performance was all there. The differences were in the feel of the neck shape, and the tone. You have to find what feels best and sounds best to you. Every Northfield I've played has been a fine instrument.

The one thing that stands out in my mind, every Northfield I had arrived with excellent setup. I didn't have to fuss with nut slot action, sharp frets, stiff tuners, etc
    They arrived easy, very smooth easy to adjust tuners, and typically low action. All I did was remove a little relief with the truss rod and drop my bridge. altogether maybe 10 min total.

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

IMO, I think there's some overlap in sound quality between the Kentucky master models and the northfield f5s. Northfield wins for aesthetics/fit/finish. Kentucky wins for value/lower cost (even after the CA bridge upgrade).

16. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Northfields are in a higher class than Eastman. Eastmans are great, the Northfields are just better...

Kentuckys have a traditional tone and in my opinion their finish of their master class instruments is by far the best of the three mentioned. Some of the Kentucky master class instruments are stellar.

I personally prefer the tone of the Northfield instruments and I tested out many and owned one for some time. The finish on the Northfield instruments is pretty soft and in my opinion, it degrades and shows wear and age much faster than it should. They stand by their products though and they will take them back and fix the finish should any issues arise. I really love Northfield tone, but in NO way do they cut like a Collings. It's a different beast altogether. Different tools for different jobs.

The finish and fit on a Collings is second to none. The tone of the two is different I think it's silly to compare the two as like items...

Eastman and Northfield might be grouped together in the same tone camp, but make no mistake about it, the Northfield is absolutely astounding in the tone it delivers. Eastman is a FINE mando, but Northfield can make a GREAT mando... the finish just isn't the best. The fit is good...just not the finish.

Eastman, Kentucky, and Northfield are EACH worth every penny. The Northfield is DEFINITELY worth the $3k, and a $1k Kentucky KM950 is a great bargain! An Eastman 305 is a steal too. They are all priced fairly and they're all good. Just different tone camps and different tools.

Last tidbit... I think the Northfield sounds a lot like an Ellis. Just my crazy input. A little less shine and sparkle, but close. Listen to Adam Steffey's New Primitive for Northfield sound bites.

Sometimes these comparisons are like asking, "What is better, a driver or a putter?!" Well...that depends on the shot you're taking! Or, "What's better; a Ford F-350 truck or a Cadillac, or a Toyota Camry or a Honda Civic." They're all great for various purposes...Just don't get a Ford Fiesta.

I liked playing my Northfield at home, it sounded awesome and sweet, but in a Jam I prefer my Collings. My Gibson is the only mandolin among MANY that I've EVER found that cuts like my Collings. Nothing really cuts in a live jam setting like a Collings. The Gibson is also a little more tame at home than the Collings, a good middle ground.
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Oct-27-2017 at 9:46am.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9lbShellhamer For This Useful Post:

A while back I played a satin-finish Northfield F5S at Dusty Strings in Seattle that I liked more than any other mandolin in that very high-end collection (including the Big Mon next to it), and it blew away the less expensive imports hanging below it. Had both punch and sweetness, and played like a dream. Others might have felt differently, but I kept coming back to that one.
    Collings MT

Blog Entries

On the finish - I believe they have changed this over time, particularly with regard to the 'spirit' varnish. Quoting from their website:

"Originally we finished the Big Mon completely in spirit varnish. In response to a demand for a more durable finish on this model we started in 2016 applying a varnish/lacquer hybrid. We retained the acoustically and visually superior attributes of shellac while adding an extremely thin topcoat of Lacquer for protection from moisture and heat"

That said, my own older 'Big Mon' has been played quite a bit and the finish has held up just fine. No problems at all, though I do live in a very dry climate, so can't comment on how it might have responded if in a high humidity situation.

It also sound totally, utterly different from my Ellis, by the way. Much more 'mid rangey' and far fewer overtones. Night and day different. Does not sound like a Fern, either.... it has its own thing going on.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

21. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Very sensible comments there 9lbshellhamer !. Re.'tone' it's a personal preference anyway. I haven't played a Northfield,the closest ones to me are 250 miles away. I'd also agree that the sound of the Northfield on Adam Steffey's 'New Primitive' CD,is a 'sound example' (pun absolutely intended),of the sound of a good Northfield,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

23. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

They had several at the late lamented Music Room, Ivan, (just over the border from you in Yorkshire ) and, straight off the hanger, they were as good as anything I've played.

25. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

I have a 2016 BigMon and it ticks all the boxes in terms of set up (brilliant bridge base sitting), colour is fantastic, neck, frets. Faultless mandolin. I love it more each day. I've had mandolins which project more (I have a The Loar LM700 which is definitely louder) but volume often comes at an expense one way or another. In the end, it is a mandolin, not a banjo so, if there's a finer mandolin out there I haven't seen it. It is expensive mind. I bought a used one from Trevor at Tamco and got a fantastic mandolin. I don't think I would have paid the new price. That would have been a bridge too far for me.

Jimmy
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    It is expensive mind. I bought a used one from Trevor at Tamco and got a fantastic mandolin. I don't think I would have paid the new price. That would have been a bridge too far for me.

Jimmy
    UK
    Taxes, duties and yet more taxes put British retailers in a rotten position, where their customers have to pay in pounds what Americans pay in dollars. The same rule of thumb has applied to cars and motorcycles for generations - and the loser is the informed British consumer with an idea of what things cost overseas, and who feels perpetually ripped off by the system.

28. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Emory brings out the tone, don't he? When he goes into Willow Weep For Me, it's simply sublime.

The real test of all mandolins mentioned is "What do they sound like when I play them"...Super stars can just about make any mandolin sound better....We need to look for the one that sounds best when we play it...I have never played a Northfield but do intend to do so...SOON, I have a Kentucky KM-956 and it is a killer, everything a person could want in a mandolin, at least I feel that way and I haven`t installed the CA bridge on it as yet....I haven`t played an Eastman for about 12 years and then they didn`t show me much. just not comfortable when I held the either, Never played a The Loar either....The only two Collings that I saw were out doors on a damp day and they sure didn`t do much for me either but I only heard them, I didn`t play either one...My KM-956 held its own against an Ellis A model that a young lady owned but she wasn`t a real good picker so that wasn`t a true test...I know all of these mandolins have some great ratings but one mandolin will not suit everyone and of course the builders and distributers want to show them off as being the best thing out there so its up to us to try them for ourselves and then make up our minds...If you play for a living that is one thing and if you are just a living room picker then that is something else...Buy what fits your needs and your ears...SO MANY MANDOLINS AND SO LITTLE TIME

Willie

Everyone always says try before you buy but the nearest mandolin shop to me with any kind of selection is over 9 hours away. I am one of those poor souls that has to buy online.

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    Everyone always says try before you buy but the nearest mandolin shop to me with any kind of selection is over 9 hours away. I am one of those poor souls that has to buy online.
    I'd have no problem buying a Nortfield sight unseen. Not saying you might not find something you like better in a shop with a hundred mandolins, but you probably would not be disappointed either. Of all the sub $3000 F style mandolins (new) I've played there were two that stood out, The Master series Kentuckys and the Northfield F 5S. The Northfield was a notch above, but a grand more and classy but rather plain. I'd look for a used one for south of $2500.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I'd have no problem buying a Nortfield sight unseen. Not saying you might not find something you like better in a shop with a hundred mandolins, but you probably would not be disappointed either. Of all the sub $3000 F style mandolins (new) I've played there were two that stood out, The Master series Kentuckys and the Northfield F 5S. The Northfield was a notch above, but a grand more and classy but rather plain. I'd look for a used one for south of $2500.
    I haven't made any decisions regarding brands yet. Trying to get it sorted and research as well I can before I buy. Got it narrowed down to: Collings, Silverangel, Girouard, and maybe Weber or Pava, just depends on whatever deals I find. Of the vids I have watched and files I have listened to I do prefer the sound of Collings, but I like supporting smaller luthiers. It's a toss up. I am pretty broke so whatever I get is likely to be it for me. Lotta pressure to get that purchase right.

How you liking your Silverangel, btw?

Hi Ray - Dave Hanson made a few very favourable comments on the Northfields that 'The Music Room' had in stock. Quite a few 'used' ones come up in the classified ads.,so maybe a good place for the OP to look ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.