Thread: New Find...Vintage White Gibson Mandolin

Default New Find...Vintage White Gibson Mandolin

Hi folks, I am a new member here. I found this forum after I did a google search for a good hangout for mandolin players. I do actually play mandolin. I'm in a band. We gig. Mostly classic rock, pop, country stuff. I own a Godin A8 mandolin and play it regularly.

Recently someone approached me about selling a couple of vintage mandolins. An old bowl back Washburn and an old "The Gibson" mandolin. Both are playable and come in cases. I have been doing some research and have learned a few things.

It seems there is little value in the Washburn. Asking prices on old Gibsons are high and, just that...Asking prices. What I am after is dating the Gibson for now, and try to achieve fair market, actual sell values. Is the case original? Is the white finish generally a rarely seen offering? What year is it this Gibson? Any help, tips, info are appreciated. Thanks, Keith

Here are some pics ad info on the Gibson:

SN 52715

Default Re: New Find...Vintage White Gibson Mandolin

The case might have been sold with the mandolin or acquired later. The white faced A mandolins are desirable but not really all that rare. They do show up from time to time. Look inside towards the neck block. Is there a number stamped there or perhaps on the inside of the back in that same vicinity? That's the Factory Order Number and it will allow us to better date it than using the serial number.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here's the same model with a close serial number. Looks like a 1919 A3.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

These were made from around 1919 until around 1924. Around 1922 they started putting truss rods in these. So, as this one does not appear to have a truss rod, it’s more than likely a 1919 or 1920. The finish on this one looks original, but a bit rough. Condition is going to play a pretty big role in pricing it. Does it need any repair, is the neck straight, etc?
    In very good shape, with the original hard shape case it might go around $2200.

Here’s an example of a 1919 in very good shape: https://massstreetmusic.com/products...mandolin-white

The one you show is probably more in the line of being considered “good”, unless it’s got some unrepaired cracks, loose binding, or needs other work. It’s been a long time since I’ve looked at old Gibsons, but the older truss rod versions used to be a bit more desirable. As the say YMMV.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Spann's Guide gives us a ship date of early 1919, based on the serial number. The FON could confirm 1919 as the build year, or it could suggest that it was built in 1918 and not shipped until 1919.

The A3 model existed before 1919, but until then it was usually a pumpkin finish. White A3s lasted from 1918 to 1923 or 1924, when they were replaced by the A2Z.

Regardless of finish color, the A3 is distinguished by its headstock inlay, usually a vine as with this example, although there are some pre-1910 A3s with a wildflower inlay.

The end-loading canvas case may well be original, but adds little to the value. A wooden hardshell Geib & Schaefer case would be considered more desirable.

The finish isn't in terrific shape, but we've seen much worse. Given that all the original hardware is there, this is still probably worth about $2K, provided that it does not need repair.

Standard advice would be to have a luthier check it out for neck problems, loose transverse brace, and any other maladies that might not be readily apparent.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

If the neck is straight and it's structurally playable, it's likely a good buy at $1,500. The missing case would add at least $250 bucks, which would be like a private party sale at $1,750, likely about right. A dealer would be looking at $2K.

I've had my white-face 1920 A3 for over 30 years. When I got it, the transverse brace and several glue seams needed to be reworked. Then I had to straighten the neck. All that work was done when I got it and it's remained stable since. I love my A3!

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Thanks for all the info and help folks! Much appreciated.

That A-3 inlay has been used by me and at least 2 other luthiers, although mine ended up looking a bit different.

Like that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	66 ph 2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	380.9 KB 
ID:	175423  

Regarding the case, yes it is the type of end-opening case that Gibson would have offered. This was the lowest priced option, called a "Canvas Case". By 1924 Gibson dropped this type of case and instead offered the "Utility" case which was a black side-opening case made with "straw board" which is like chipboard but a little stiffer. Gibson's cases were all manufactured by Geib & Schaefer.

Steve

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1917 Gibson Mandolin Cases.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	379.1 KB 
ID:	175443

1924 cases
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1924 Gibson Accessory Catalog cases.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	175444

12. The following members say thank you to Loudloar for this post:

The canvas cases have held up a little better than the leather ones, generally speaking ...
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls