Thread: I just purchased an Eastman 305

Registered User agirlandheryarn's Avatar

Default I just purchased an Eastman 305

Hi Everyone!

I've been a member here for a few years, but mostly just lurk. Thought I'd jump on to see your thoughts. I just purchased an Eastman 305 as a "back up" out of what I see as "necessity".

You see, I finally had to deliver my trusty Breedlove KO to the luthier for a tune up. This luthier is notoriously slow about getting instruments back (average 2 wks), and I couldn't imagine being without a mandolin for that long. Afraid I'd forget everything.. I'd been pondering a 2nd mandolin for a while, and this was just the excuse I needed.

Well, in the store it came down to the Eastman 305 and the Eastman 415. To tell you the truth I liked the sound of the 415 slightly better, but the price was $300 more. I don't care about the F-scroll, and I kept thinking to truly be a "back up" instrument, I shouldn't pay $300 more. Also, I'd heard such good things about the 305 here on the Cafe that I think I made the right decision in the end.

There's just a slight nagging voice still wondering if I made the right choice so I thought I'd let you folks know what I did and see what you had to say. Hahaha! Thanks! Lori

Default Re: I just purchased an Eastman 305

You made the correct choice!

I bought a 315 (on clearance for $429) to replace my previous backup/beater, which was really a mess and in need of more work than it was worth. I've been extremely happy with the 315. It doesn't have quite the depth of tone that my Silverangel does, and I could use a little more width to the neck (though it doesn't take long at all to adjust), but it's an excellent mandolin, especially for that price. I've gotten a ton of comments on how good it sounds by pickers and non-pickers alike (let me assure you, it's not my playing they're commending ), and I'm very pleased with how cleanly it's built. I initially thought about replacing the bridge and tuners, but after living with the stock ones a while don't think I'll do that unless issues arise. I've taken it camping in ridiculously hot weather (using appropriate caution/common sense), to the lake, to the park, and I'll occasionally take it to work. I play it in rowdy environments and let kids wail on it without care, and the satin finish has held up very well thus far.

In your case, you're also getting a very different tone compared to your Breedlove, which is always nice to have, and the reason I "need" several mandolins. Gotta have the oval hole, the resonator, the electric, the F-hole...

Congrats on your new mandolin!
    Chuck

3. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Great choice!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Thanks! That's all it takes for me. A couple thumbs up and a few "that's a good idea's", and it's settled.

Chuck,

I think the very different tone is what threw me off at first. The 415 has mahogany back and sides which made it sound more like my Breedlove. After all this time I'd grown used to that being what a mandolin should sound like. It's funny what we get used to. After reading on the Cafe, I know that many players like a different less mellow sound, especially Bluegrass players. I've recently ventured into a few slow bluegrass jams, and I think this new 305 will come in handy.

Have fun with your new Eastman, but asking this crowd about buying another mandolin is like asking a fishing forum if you should buy another rod and reel. Very few will discourage MAS.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

9. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

If you only had the one mandolin you’re right you “need” a back-up. Several years ago I had one mandolin and out of the blue the top collapsed. Since that time I have backed up my main axe. Backed up my back up backed up my back ups backup etc still haven’t finished. I’ve come to believe one can’t have too many mandolins. Now if I could just convince my wife.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I’ve got a MD305 and love it... sweet tone and a great bark IMO.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I think their 05 series mandolins have the best sound.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I love my 315. Had my sights on a 305, but scored this one for a song. Good choice. FWIW, mine benefited greatly from an armrest and heavy strings.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Have fun with your new Eastman, but asking this crowd about buying another mandolin is like asking a fishing forum if you should buy another rod and reel. Very few will discourage MAS.
    I will count on you for your enabling. Ha!

15. The following members say thank you to agirlandheryarn for this post:

Great choice, Lori. I like Eastman's. I think they make a great mandolin for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by agirlandheryarn View Post
    This luthier is notoriously slow about getting instruments back (average 2 wks), and I couldn't imagine being without a mandolin for that long.
    Congrats on your new 305! In defense of luthiers/repairmen, I would say 2 weeks is pretty good in most areas, mostly due to how many people are ahead of you. Another factor is if the instrument needs parts to be ordered or if it needs reglued and clamped -- you can't really rush that, especially if several different areas are involved. But sure, a setup shouldn't take too long.

18. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Lori,

Yes, I suspect you'll notice a significant difference in how the Eastman cuts through in Bluegrass circles. And, I get what you're saying. I've thought about "upgrading" the SA on several occasions, but am so used to its tone I keep rejecting potential replacements...

Enjoy!
    Chuck

I think the 305 will give you a nice change of pace from your Silverangel. I very well do know the SA richness of tone.Seductive.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1