Thread: Driftless for mandolin orchestra - score and parts available

Default Driftless for mandolin orchestra - score and parts available

In the spring of 2016 I was very honored when Carlo Aonzo asked me to compose a piece to be studied and premiered at the 2017 Carlo Aonzo Workshop, held from June 1-4, 2017 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Driftless is the result of that commission.

In the end I was unable to attend the Workshop but a fine video was made of the world premiere performance (https://youtu.be/MXPBTX9IV20).

It turns out that I will also be unable to attend CMSA 2017 in Milwaukee so I am making the score and parts of Driftless freely available on my Mandotopia site prior to that gathering. Here's the direct link to the Driftless page:

http://www.mandotopia.com/Driftless.html

I hope some Cafe readers will take a look and see if it might be a good fit for their home orchestras.

From the Iowa Driftless region,

John G.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Driftless for mandolin orchestra - score and parts available

Beautiful piece of music, John! I recognize a few of the players from my many years in previous Carlo Aonzo workshops.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Thanks for sharing your music and this performance, John!
    Just curious about the process of writing a comission piece. Did Carlo give you parameters, such as level of difficulty or a theme of some sort for this composition?

Hope all is well,
    Bill
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Registered User agirlandheryarn's Avatar

This song (your song?) is being played by the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra. I've been learning it. Nice piece of music!

Lori

That's beautiful, John!

Preacher, thanks for the compliment!

Lori, I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying working on my piece with the LMO. That's my home orchestra and I'm very pleased that they are learning it. I was a founding member back in the late 1980s and I wrote my first mandolin orchestra pieces because Jim Bates and the LMO members encouraged me. It's a great group to be a part of.

Bill, I believe in this case Carlo and I discussed what kind of piece might work best for the Workshop. He's heard a few of my things and has even played one or two at other events.

I suggested that he look at and/or listen to a couple of the pieces I have available on my website or that you can find on youtube and he came back with an idea. We also agreed that a shorter piece (3-5 minutes) would be more useful than a longer 10-12 minute multi-part piece.

I've never attended this Workshop but I know a lot of people who have. So I knew that the level of musicianship would be high but that they are also very welcoming to less experienced players. I always try and give each section in the orchestra some interesting stuff to do and I think this piece worked out well in that regard.

I hope that answers your questions. Thanks again for your comments.

John G.

It's a lovely piece, and makes me wish there was a mandolin orchestra in my part of the world.

Seeing as it was written in one of the most beautiful areas in the US, Winneshiek County, no surprise the music is so lovely.

9. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post: