Default Re: Baggs Radius-M versus K&K Twin pickups

Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Great info. I'm getting a K&k installed & never played with a K&K. I'm playing a Godin A8 and use the volume control to mute and sometimes while playing I'll need to adjust volume as I'm playing in a semi/loud band. I'm a little worried that I will really miss that volume control at the instrument. No sound man & almost always playing through a Fishman LB. So my thought is to get a volume pedal anybody have suggestions for a good pedal ? In my situation it seems to make the most sense unless I'm missing something.
    Thanks

Seems like the RedEye works well and it has a boost that you can adjust so for solo's you can hit the boost if you don't have enought volume. Seems to sound very nice without a lot of EQ and has minimal adjustment so not complicated to operate.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Thanks for the info guys... I was not planning on installing a switch on my redeye.... just curios as to if the switch cut the output for the XLR as well when engaged. I run a tuner and other pedals through the effects loop in my redeye so I just engage the tuner when I need to mute.
    Loubrava... As far as what your looking for (above).... The redeye will definitely work but really, any boost pedal will work as well... I like TC Electronic stuff as well.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

I looked at the redeye on line and the one I was looking at with the volume boost will increase the signal impedance but since the Fishman LB has preamp built in I'm sure if I need that or not how that would work. Also I'm wanting to control the full range of volume from off to full on. It looks like the redeye has a button you step on that will cut/increase volume to a set level where a volume pedal would give full range control without moving from where your playing. Am I looking at the right redeye pedal or not understanding how it works.
    Thanks

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

I use a fishman loudbox with the redeye and have no problems at all... you are right though... The redeye will have a button that is either on or off... when off your playing is at one level and when you step on the boost button it jumps up the level, which you can adjust with a knob on the redeye... A volume pedal will allow you more intricate control over that volume so you can ease up or down as you wish. The redeye is more ment for setting the level you want when boosted and just leaving it there. Hope this helps
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

7. The following members say thank you to Gabriel Wiseman for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    ... A volume pedal will allow you more intricate control over that volume so you can ease up or down as you wish. . . . Hope this helps
    Hm. A volume pedal. How come I never thought of that?

Yup, it helps!

I like less things in my signal chain, I set the mandolin fairly high so when I chord, which is seldom, I play very light and/or mute slightly with my forearm. Single notes should be ok without playing too hard. The boost is for those occasions when it gets a little louder and I don't want to play harder. I don't set it very much louder, just enough to get me thru a solo with the band getting louder. Should I need more I turn up on the PA after the song and I am back to where I was with my safety net. It is rare that I need the boost, but appreciate it when I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Wiseman View Post
    I use a fishman loudbox with the redeye and have no problems at all... you are right though... The redeye will have a button that is either on or off... when off your playing is at one level and when you step on the boost button it jumps up the level, which you can adjust with a knob on the redeye... A volume pedal will allow you more intricate control over that volume so you can ease up or down as you wish. The redeye is more ment for setting the level you want when boosted and just leaving it there. Hope this helps
    That's what I thought. My bands volume will change sometimes between sets sometimes during so having that volume control is what I'm after. With that said any recommendations for a volume pedal that would be good for the output of the K&k ? I'm thinking any pedal that would work on a guitar would work but not sure and if there is a mono in stereo out would be ideal.
    Thanks

11. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I like less things in my signal chain, I set the mandolin fairly high so when I chord, which is seldom, I play very light and/or mute slightly with my forearm. Single notes should be ok without playing too hard. The boost is for those occasions when it gets a little louder and I don't want to play harder. I don't set it very much louder, just enough to get me thru a solo with the band getting louder. Should I need more I turn up on the PA after the song and I am back to where I was with my safety net. It is rare that I need the boost, but appreciate it when I need it.
    Thanks pops Playing the Godin A8 I really can't get the nuances of what I can on the acoustic that's probably why Godin had the volume slider built in. I've never played the acoustic with the band so maybe your idea would work. I just became so dependent on that volume control I couldn't imagine not having it. My mandolin is being built right now so I can't try anything out until January next year.

I like less things in my signal chain . . . .
    Me three. What I want is instruments > ABCD box > preamp (with mute and boost) > PA. No effects, please! I have electric guitars for that.

Actually, I'd rather mic my instruments, but no one I play with likes that. So I'm putting a rig together. Have instruments and preamp, seems like all my friends have PAs, and the ABCD box in backordered.

I might have to resort to EQ boxes for some of the instruments. Hoping not. Time'll tell!

If you use a volume pedal it would have to be after the preamp so impedance would be matched and I use phantom power to power the pre soooo.... Could maybe try the effects and use the volume there, but really don't need it at this point for me.

If you use a volume . . . .
    Can't see using one when I have a boost switch on the preamp. Too much gear = too many variables. I just want to play.

Might like it with electric though, for swells. Loved that sound ever since Lovin' Spoonful's "Daydream."

K&K pickups with Baggs pre-amps for almost all of my gigging setups!

17. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post: