Thread: Mobile Sheets Pro & Fire 7 tablet

Default Mobile Sheets Pro & Fire 7 tablet

Has anyone tried this app and tablet combination? Any info ( ease of use, stability, etc) will be appreciated. Kerry

Default Re: Mobile Sheets Pro & Fire 7 tablet

I have Mobile Sheets Pro on a cheap generic Android tablet and a couple of my colleagues have it installed on their tablets (I do not know the make of the tablets) and we all have found it stable and easy to use. I have about 410 tunes, mainly Scottish, a mixture of bagpipe and fiddle tunes plus some lyrics and I have them stored as pdf files under types such as 6/8 marches, 2/4 marches, jigs, slow airs, waltzes, Strathspeys, etc. You can categorise then under key, whether lead sheet, sheet music, etc and arrange them into sets. I like it and for what you pay, it is a very good data base sort of app. The free download of Mobile Sheets Companion allows you to transfer files from your computer to the tablet by wirless or USB. I use it on a Windows 7 PC.
    I also had very good customer service from the writer of the program when I had to re-install it on my tablet - no fault of the app but of the tablet!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Kelly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KOakley View Post
    Has anyone tried this app and tablet combination? Any info ( ease of use, stability, etc) will be appreciated. Kerry
    I just bought a Fire 8 HD, which should be the same. Be aware that the Fire currently will not run Google Play, and will not run some Google programs such as Google Drive. (There is a reportedly a mod that will allow you to run Google Play, but I have not been willing to go that far.) I was able to buy a new subscription to Mobile Sheets Pro from Amazon. (The free version was available as well, but I was hoping in vain that buying the Pro version would enable me to download from Google Drive.)

On the other hand, the Fire is inexpensive and works well. I was able to download over two thousand charts from a friend's collection via Dropbox, no problem. For the price of the Fire, plus a new subscription to Mobile Sheets you can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddleround View Post
    ... I was able to buy a new subscription to Mobile Sheets Pro from Amazon. (The free version was available as well, but I was hoping in vain that buying the Pro version would enable me to download from Google Drive.) ...
    Is Mobile Sheets Pro subscription now?!? I bought mine a year or so ago (excellent app, by the way, although no clue about Fire 7) and it was a one-time fee, not a subscription. I hope they haven't sold out and went the subscription route, I hate that.

[QUOTE=fiddleround;1606321] (There is a reportedly a mod that will allow you to run Google Play, but I have not been willing to go that far.)=QUOTE]

I've "hacked" two Fires (I have a tendency to drop them) to run Google files with no issues. It's a matter of uploading four files, readily available on line and there are some Youtube videos that show how to do it. I'm going the check out Mobilesheets, thx!
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Is Mobile Sheets Pro subscription now?!? I bought mine a year or so ago (excellent app, by the way, although no clue about Fire 7) and it was a one-time fee, not a subscription. I hope they haven't sold out and went the subscription route, I hate that.
    Sorry, I probably misspoke. I just bought the Mobile Sheets Pro app again, since I could not access my previously purchased app. (I bought it a couple of years ago, but couldn't get it to run on my ancient tablet, or my newer phone, or my ipad.)

8. The following members say thank you to fiddleround for this post:

As it turns out. QVC had a special yesterday offering 2 Fire 7's for $80. Amazon's app store lists Mobile Sheets Pro as a compatible app. We shall see. My main concern is that the display may be too small. Thanks for the replies. I'll keep y'all posted. Kerry

It works! My main issue is my total lack of experience with touch screen devices. Totally unintuitive to me, but there was a time when anything "computer" freaked me out. Hopefully time and experience will smooth out my navigation skills. It is awesome to have lots of sheet music available at a touch. I particularly like the ability to import files from sites like GuitarCats.com just by taking a screen shot. The screen is smaller than I would really like, but for the price I can't think of a better way for me to learn about digital sheet music. I'm sure that I'll get something with a larger screen eventually, but for now it serves my needs. Thanks to everyone that replied and to Mandolin Café for being such a great resource. Kerry