Thread: Acid sweat...What strings should I try for my Northfield NF-FS?

Default Acid sweat...What strings should I try for my Northfield NF-FS?

Hey all, I've used mostly D'addario strings. Phosphour Bronze EXP74s uncoated but 99% of the time coated. Generally love the feel and sound, but after 1 gig with 2-day old strings I can already feel the string "deteriorating" both where I fret, and behind the bridge (where I try to float but you know how that goes). I've tried "Silk and Steel" style strings and don't care for them. I'm playing bluegrass on a Northfield NF-5S, and I seek a tiny bit more of that "bell-like" sound you hear on a lot of Webers. Any Northfield owners or anyone else have any ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Acid sweat...What strings should I try for my Northfield NF-F

I have fairly corrosive sweat, I use Elixir Nanowebs or Polywebs on my guitars and they hold up very well. I've been using the D'Addario EXP74s for mandolins, I don't think they're quite as rust resistant as the Elixirs. Elixir does make mandolin strings so I'll probably try them next.

If you are rusting only the wound strings you might try the GHS pure nickel. They also make a silk and bronze which are heads above silk and steel in sound. They in fact rival the phosphor bronze strings. I have use both the nickel and silk and bronze with great results and am using the nickel as my go to string now.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I was gonna suggest the nickel also. A number of brands (D'Addario, Mangan, etc) are offering Monel strings now, which I believe is a nickel alloy. The same as the Gibson Sam Bush strings. Very corrosion resistant, but a different tone spectrum also. Very fundamental to my ear, fewer overtones then PB. I use the Martin Tony Rice Retro monels on guitar and really dig them.
    Mitch Russell

But at the core is steel, in all cases.. will it accelerate rust? corrosion of ferrous alloys ,
    time will tell, I'm mot a metallurgist..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    But at the core is steel, in all cases.. will it accelerate rust? corrosion of ferrous alloys ,
    time will tell, I'm mot a metallurgist..
    I think it would take time for sweat to get thru the winding's and rust the core. By then the strings would be worn anyway.

It really isn't acid that accelerates galvanic corrosion, it is the salt in your sweat. The salt acts as a catalyst for the reaction. Cleaning your hands before you play and cleaning your strings during and after will help. The best way to prevent it is to use nickel or stainless wound strings. They will be less reactive

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Consider changing your diet, and play whatever strings play best.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...in-human-body/

I ain't no doctor.
    Ain't the doctor's son.
    But I can do the doctorin'
    'Til the doctor comes...
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    Consider changing your diet, and play whatever strings play best.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/3...in-human-body/

I ain't no doctor.
    Ain't the doctor's son.
    But I can do the doctorin'
    'Til the doctor comes...
    I used to turn green wearing yellow gold, and if it were glasses they would eat the metal until it was sharp enough to cut my face. Plain guitar strings would be black in minutes. I don't know if diet change or age stopped this, but I don't have nearly the problem now. Age does have advantages I guess.

Wondering if cleaning strings with WD-40(ala Adam Steffey) might help? With just a smidge on fingertips.

Also wonder what that will do to the fretboard after a few years?

Thanks for the replies everyone! I used the term "acid sweat" in jest, tired of my fresh strings being nasty after 1 gig! I do the hand washing/string cleaning and that seems to do little to help. Onassis-thanks for the heads up. I thought I had heard about the Monel strings being made by D'Addario and others now, and I have really, reallllly wanted to try the Sam Bush strings but my last 2 online orders were cancelled due to no availability. I will also try the silk and bronze suggested by Pops1. Again, appreciate you guys taking the time to respond!

I mentioned the silk and bronze because you tried silk and steel. I think the Pure Nickel would be a better string for corrosion. Similar to Monel, but no copper.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Gibson Sam Bush Monels are very long lasting. I've got three packs left until I don't know where to get others...

Note, if you can get them, they don't work well on all mandos... those that they do work on are brilliant, though.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Speaking of Adam Steffey, I talked to him after a show this past summer. He told me he'd been using the D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings since the beta test. He said every other string he'd tried, including other brands of nickel, needed replaced after each show, even the coated ones. With the NB he could go multiple shows, depending on the humidity.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Awesome info and leads here, thank you guys! I will definitely be giving these different strings a shot. Mandolin cafe, thank you!