Thread: Any Zoom Q8 users out there?

Default Any Zoom Q8 users out there?

Just wondering if anyone has been using the Zoom Q8 video camera here? I've been hemming and hawing about getting one but took the plunge today. I need something with better sound quality for recording videos. Some reviews have raved about it and some have been disappointed with the video quality of it. Certainly from the vids I've checked out on Youtube that were filmed with it, the ones with lesser quality were also all done in low light conditions. I'll post some videos and my own review of it when it gets here.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Registered User Gabriel Wiseman's Avatar

Default Re: Any Zoom Q8 users out there?

I have the Zoom Q2n video camera just for that purpose and it works great!! I have several gopro cameras and a DSLR but nothing beats this thing for music recording. has several field of view settings, sound settings, stereo mics, tripod mount, can import directly to your android or apple device and can also be used as a USB webcam..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/consumer-electronics/zoom-q2n-handy-video-recorder/j48412000000000?cntry=us&cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP& cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9sOFhtD t1gIVhV6GCh3WZAnJEAQYASABEgJaC_D_BwE&kwid=producta ds-adid^221957295815-device^c-plaid^323968643703-sku^J48412000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

Cant beat it music video stuff.
    Gabriel Wiseman
    https://poplme.co/pmywrpAD
    www.jtrband.com
    Curt Mangan Strings

2021 Duff 2 Point, 1947 Gibson J-50

3. The following members say thank you to Gabriel Wiseman for this post:

Great to hear! I too have a GoPro that I use mainly for work purposes, but sound wise it just doesn't cut it for filming music!
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I have the Zoom H2n which I use as my main recording microphone, it's especially good for recording ambient noises in the field. I think the Zoom Q2n is essentially the same as the H2n with the addition of an HD camera, I'm interested in getting the Q2n or Q8 myself based on my good experiences with the H2n.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Just got a Q8. Trying to figure it out now.

You've had yours for a while. Any general tips for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Just got a Q8. Trying to figure it out now.

You've had yours for a while. Any general tips for beginners?
    I found it pretty straightforward to use, especially for uploading videos to Youtube - I just hook it up to the laptop and then drag and drop the files onto my desktop. After all this time I only just started using iMovie for titles etc. (not with any of my music clips, but with a short video I made for a project I'm working on) so will probably start doing that with the mandolin/banjo clips now too.

The mic that it comes with is fine if you're fairly close to the camera, the further away you are the sound degrades from my experience. I ended up taking advantage of the fact that the camera has phantom power and using my own condenser mics with it instead and have been happy with the results.
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

8. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post: