Thread: Thoughts on Arches FT Oval hole Mandolin?

Default Thoughts on Arches FT Oval hole Mandolin?

Can anyone shed light on the Arches FT oval hole mandolin? This builder seems to get a lot of love here. I've been looking hard at oval hole flat tops for awhile now for classical and old time. Just found this model and wanted to know if anyone could chime in on this model. Either owners or people who have played them. There does seem to be a huge price point difference on their flat top versus the arch tops. Is it just the build requirements or is it materials they use in the A and F models vs the flat top?

Default Re: Thoughts on Arches FT Oval hole Mandolin?

Never had or played one, but I can tell you that the price difference between flat top and carved is labor. A flat top has no graduations, but a carved top does, and it's very labor intensive to get it right.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

I'll start with, I've not played one but, as mentioned above, flat tops are less expensive b/c of labor. I have held and played other examples of his work, he's quite capable and talented.

That said, my main instrument is a cant top flat backed instrument with a great voice. They do sound different than arch tops but, that's not a bad thing.

Chris has been building for years and is well respected. His price for a custom flat top built by hand is very good. If I were looking in the US for a flat top builder, he would be on my short list.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I Had one several years ago and still regret selling it. Without a doubt it was the finest sounding and playing flat topped mandolin I have ever come across, both sound and playabilty, and is was quite beautiful as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4426.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	161478

I am with Joe in my admiration of Chris' work. I had one early in my learning curve, sold it to finance an instrument I had for less than two months. The Arches traveled to a gentleman who went to extraordinary effort to acquire the instrument, and I am certain it is with him still. Of all my "catch and release" experiences, the Arches FT-O is the only one I really regret having parted with. They are rare to come by. If you have found one, grab it and play the potatoes out of it!
    Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mendel View Post
    I Had one several years ago and still regret selling it. Without a doubt it was the finest sounding and playing flat topped mandolin I have ever come across, both sound and playabilty, and is was quite beautiful as well.
    I like to hear this. I’m on the waiting list for one.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4426.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	161478

I am with Joe in my admiration of Chris' work. I had one early in my learning curve, sold it to finance an instrument I had for less than two months. The Arches traveled to a gentleman who went to extraordinary effort to acquire the instrument, and I am certain it is with him still. Of all my "catch and release" experiences, the Arches FT-O is the only one I really regret having parted with. They are rare to come by. If you have found one, grab it and play the potatoes out of it!
    Russ
    Very interesting story. I haven’t found one but thinking of commissioning one to be made. I’m looking for a very high quality oval hole flat top and this might be it. I’m currently learning classical on a Kentucky KM-150. And although I like it I want something better. Do you think the FT-O would fit the bill for classical and a lesser extent of my playing time old time music?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mendel View Post
    How would it fair playing classical and a lesser extent old time?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I custom ordered my Poe Scout with the notion that it would be the last flattop I would ever buy. An Arches FT-O could convince me to alter that determination.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

My FT-O was my first mandolin years after playing around with a Kentucky in high school. I picked it up used at a what I would consider a bargain price. It has kept me happy playing Irish tunes for over five years. While it's a little on the quiet side, I really can't get enough of the tone. The E string is starting to suffer a bit from fret wear, but that's more a testament of how much I like it than an indictment of quality.

In my opinion, these are really fine mandolins. I have a Cocobolo model I bought from the classifieds in '09 when he build a bunch of them in varying woods and offered them at a very appealing price. Very narrow radiused fretboard, fine fit and finish. Playability excellent. I was surprised by S.R. O'Toole saying his is quiet as the volume on mine is really pretty good. It has a clear, "glassy" sound with lots of sustain. It's much tighter and more focused than my Mid Mo M2 and has none of the "tubby"qualities of the teens Gibsons (I like that sound, by the way). It's really it's own thing. I think it would work well for the music you are interested in.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by astein2006 View Post
    Very interesting story. I haven’t found one but thinking of commissioning one to be made. I’m looking for a very high quality oval hole flat top and this might be it. I’m currently learning classical on a Kentucky KM-150. And although I like it I want something better. Do you think the FT-O would fit the bill for classical and a lesser extent of my playing time old time music?

- - - Updated - - -

How would it fair playing classical and a lesser extent old time?
    I think it would sound very nice in an old time or classical setting.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Great great great. Outstanding value at the builder's asking price.

13. The following members say thank you to lgibjones for this post: