Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson F9 vs Collings MF - 2017 edition

Default Gibson F9 vs Collings MF - 2017 edition

I am going for a wide nut mandolin and I am definitely getting a Gibson F9, a used Gibson F5G wide nut (2016) or a Collings MF. All 3 are available at the mandolin store right now with the 1 3/16th nut width. All are highly regarded. The F9 and MF are new, the F5G is one year used (makes me suspicious). All 3 are going to end up costing around $4k.

That being said, which do you prefer and why? The MF(gt) and F5G have a gloss top, the F9 is satin. Still, people keep saying how amazing the Harvey Gibsons are. Is that true? If so, I feel that getting the Gibson would not only get me the great gibson tone I love, but also plenty of value in the future should I want/need to sell it. I'm also surprised that someone would ditch a 2016 Harvey Gibson...but there it is, for sale at the mandolin store.

Is there anyone out there who prefers Collings mandolins over a Harvey Gibson? Any opinions (other than you trying to convince me to get an A or a model other than the three I listed) are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by NJmando; Oct-05-2017 at 9:59am.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibson F9 vs Collings MF - 2017 edition

You gotta play them. All of them. Then buy the one that calls most clearly to you.

From a future value standpoint, all three of these instruments are USA built and quality mandolins, but I wouldn't bank on anything for the future in that price range. Just get the one that sounds and plays the best for you.

If they all call to you the same, I dunno... Buy them all?
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I don't think the OP has the option of playing them, thus his question.

Have you spoken to the guys and the Mandolin Store over the phone? They would surely give you some insight as to the differences in tone between the 3 instruments. Because there are differences. First you must know what you prefer in the way of tone.

If you have to buy without trying, I would say that I'm impressed with Colling's consistency; Gibsons, IMO, are pretty (fairly) consistent but not as much as Collings.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Where do you live? If you're in NJ (which I'm guessing from your handle) than the smart play is probably a $250 flight to Nashville and playing the 80+ mandolins in your price range at Gruhn and Carter.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    I don't think the OP has the option of playing them, thus his question..
    Yes...thank you....if I could play them, I wouldn't be on here asking you people! lol.

I have heard quite a bit about Collings consistency. The thing is that literally everyone says that about the newer Harvey Gibsons. I am not a tone-specific person, from what I hear I truly like Gibsons and Collings, and I don't mind that they're a little different. I have been comparing my F9 to a weber yellowstone and I have to say that i MUUUUUUUCH prefer the Gibson tone to any Weber I've played. So there's that.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJmando View Post
    I feel that getting the Gibson would not only get me the great gibson tone I love, but also plenty of value in the future should I want/need to sell it.
    I think that you answer your own question with this statement. If you love the great Gibson tone, then eliminate the Collings. If value in the future is important to you, then eliminate the new F9 which will depreciate. It sounds to me like you want the F5G but are wondering why it has come on the market so quickly and if that is a sign of inferior quality. I'd suggest that you call Dennis at The Mandolin Store to discuss your concerns. It is very possible that the previous owner traded up to a higher end option. We mandolin players tend to be a fickle lot and let a lot of quality instruments pass through our hands.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I agree that you should call the Mandolin Store and ask for their opinion. I've bought from them and found them to be extremely helpful.

Most folks agree that the Harvey signed Gibsons some of the best they've ever produced, I have the F5G wide nut and it's a very good bang for the buck. But the Collings are also well regarded, and the one they have could possibly have something special in it.

If you don't have the option of flying there, the other thing you might do is see if they could ship their top 2 picks to you, then A B compare them in your own home. Of course you'd probably have to put both temporarily on your credit card, and pay shipping both ways for the one you returned, but it might work. It wouldn't be cheap, but neither is flying there and getting a hotel and a rental car.

Worst case scenario is you pick one and send it back paying the freight. It's not the end of the world, especially for a lifetime purchase.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I think that you answer your own question with this statement. If you love the great Gibson tone, then eliminate the Collings. If value in the future is important to you, then eliminate the new F9 which will depreciate. It sounds to me like you want the F5G but are wondering why it has come on the market so quickly and if that is a sign of inferior quality. .
    Have you considered a career in psychology? I think you're right...

I'll give them a buzz and get some comparison on the F9 and the F5G. Thank you!

9. The following members say thank you to NJmando for this post:

My vote is for the Gibson F5G.

I wouldn't be afraid of going gently used in this case. The mandolin store will certainly make sure it's set up properly. People trade in, up and down all the time. People can be fickle, or just take time figuring out what they like. If you doubt this, do a search for a thread called "The search continues part 2"

I find Collings a bit bright for my taste. (In general, that is, I haven't played the specific instrument in question). But that might be the very thing that makes it better to someone else's taste.

Any time someone says "xxxxx mandolin just blows away everything else in the place", it just means they are hearing or feeling some difference that might turn another player off. Same may apply when someone says "yyyyy mandolin did not impress me." But you know you like the Gibson tone from your own experience, so there's that.

In the end, if you can't play them first, you will probably love whichever of those three you get, and never look back. Unless of course the grass is greener...

Is my advice worth the price you paid for it? Probably not, but someone will surely chime in with different advice.

So is 4k a reasonable price for a 2015 F5G used in "excellent" condition? I am asking him to bring it down a few hundred...they seem to sell for low to mid 3k mark.

I recently bought a year old Gibson F5 Custom that was one of the Mandolin Store's special models and had your same concern. Of course this is only a singular case, but I am extremely pleased with it...as is my mandolin teacher...who has commented on it's qualities many times. And...I traded in a recent F9 on it to fund the purchase. It was a great mando (both Harvey's by the way), but I didn't like the satin finish and decided to trade up.

Good luck in your search!

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

My ears much preferred the Harvey F5G to the handful of collings mt variants I've played.

But I vote for flying to Nashville

So is 4k a reasonable price for a 2015 F5G used in "excellent" condition? I am asking him to bring it down a few hundred...they seem to sell for low to mid 3k mark.
    I would expect to pay a little more from a store with set up than a private party sale. Less risk for you, more service. Your comparisons were against 2 other new instruments. If you are patient, frugal, and willing to accept more risk, worn frets, and other interesting surprises then by all means you can get an F5G for 3K, and for your budget of 4K there are many interesting options in the used market.

But that wasn't your original question....

Not to mention the wide nuts seem to go for more

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Not to mention the wide nuts seem to go for more
    Yeah I've noticed that. It's a bummer really, I see them becoming the standard in the coming years. We've already moved to 1 1/8th on most brands other than gibson. Still, its no extra work on the builders part. I don't think I should have to pay a premium just because my hands are big! lol

When I visited TMS, no other mandolin sounded like a Gibson other than another Gibson. Certainly not a Collings. Now I think they are overpriced, but the marketplace disagrees with me. Just like wanting a scroll, if a Gibson is what you crave, nothing else is going to do it for you.

The F 9 I played was a great sounding mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

You can't really infer anything from someone buying one minute and trading the next. Just see some of the threads in this place

I had personal experience of that a few years ago. A guy custom ordered a gorgeous, hi-spec 42-series CF Martin 12 fretter... waited 12 months for delivery... then sold it 3 weeks later! It was stunning... fantastic.. he had just "lost interest". Happens all the time.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Blog Entries

The reason I emphasized trying them in person is that since you've asked the question specifically about these exact three mandolins, if you get one without trying the others too you're going to always wonder if you made the right choice. The only way you can answer that is to try them together in person.

Calling TMS is a great idea though... Maybe they can produce some same-situ recordings of all three so you can compare them.

Good luck with this!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

A new F5G runs $5800, and I'd imagine a wide nut to be a ~$300 upgrade. I generally think of 70% replacement value as standard mandolin depreciation, so anything under $4270 seems reasonable to me.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Math! Woooo

22. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Trading your F9? If not, then go Collings. Different voices for different moods and different songs!

But, yeah, call Dennis. He just walked me through a new mandocello purchase. He did up-sell me little, but was totally forthcoming, and it was totally worth it. Love the instrument I got, and appreciate his advice! The Cello fits my needs and is much nicer than my initial plan...
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Trading your F9? If not, then go Collings. Different voices for different moods and different songs!

I will be selling my F9 once I get a new instrument. Can't afford to keep both. My F9 is almost perfect, if such a thing exists, its a shame the neck and my hand don't play nice. I look forward to sticking with Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Most folks agree that the Harvey signed Gibsons some of the best they've ever produced, I have the F5G wide nut and it's a very good bang for the buck.
    Did you switch from a smaller nut width? How is the neck compared to say loar spec in feel etc?

I have owned a Gibson A9 and an F5G. I really liked the F5G for the time that I owned it. These days I find that I prefer the radius fingerboard to a flat one. I currently own a Colling MF5 and an MF. Feel is important to me. You may need to compare flat to radius to see which you prefer.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band