Thread: N00b looking for any "gotchas" with these mando choices

Default N00b looking for any "gotchas" with these mando choices

Hey folks! Been lurking amongst these great forums for a while now. Finally decided to sign up for a username and start posting.

I've been playing mandolin for about a year now coming from the six-string guitar world, probably like most folks here. I love bluegrass music, but it was Steve Earle's Copperhead Road that actually got me to start playing the mando. I heard it on guitar and thought, "That sounds like a cool, but easy enough riff that I could play on the mandolin!"

Several open mics and lots of practicing later, I find myself playing mandolin about a third of the time (the rest on acoustic or electric guitar) in a country/classic/southern rock band! I would love to play in a bluegrass gig someday, but I have lots of work to do get my chops up to that level.

I've been getting the itch to upgrade my A-style Epiphone MM-30 that I got nearly 20 years ago after working at Daddy's Junky Music. I knew I always wanted to play mandolin, but it just sat on my wall as a nice ornament in those 20 years.

I recently got a chance to play a couple of Kentucky A-models at a local acoustic instruments store. Unfortunately, after talking to the owner of the store, I didn't feel comfortable that I would get the best mandolin service from him as he was admittedly not a mandolin player.

So, after doing some extensive research here on Mandolin Cafe, I whittled down the dizzying array of entry+ mandolins to The Loar LM-520, the Eastman MD-315, and the Kentucky KM-630. To fit my budget, I wanted to find one of these used or at least a near equivalent to one of these.

Scouring the internet, I found these for sale. I realize that asking for an opinion on which of these to purchase will probably get me a different answer depending on the person, but I guess what would be more important would be to find out if there is anything to know about these mandolins that an unsuspecting n00b like myself wouldn't know about. Here goes:

1. Kentucky KM-675 w/hc (used) - $550
    2. Kentucky KM-850 w/case (used) - $675
    3. Eastman MD-315 w/hc & pro setup (new) - $700
    4. The Loar LM-520-VS (B-stock) - $400

I don't think there are standout deals in the above list with maybe the exception of the KM-850...I dunno. Sadly, I couldn't find any used MD-315s that were priced much lower than the deal that The Mandolin Store is currently offering. Yes, these are all F-models...I like 'em.

The pro setup of the Eastman is particularly of interest to me because, at this point, I think I'd have to travel an hour+ to be able to my mandolin properly set up. If I couldn't find anyone closer, I'll probably resort to YouTube to see if I can set it up myself which I should probably learn how to do anyways.

What do y'all think? I'm sure my type of n00bish question/request pops up here all the time, so I apologize for that. There just seems to be such a dizzying array of choices that I'm surprised that I was able to get even this far.

Thanks,

Steve

Default Re: N00b looking for any "gotchas" with these mando choices

If the Eastman is from the Mandolin Store, the Pro Setup is worth it. They know their stuff and after spending thousands of dollars there, I trust them to get it right.

+1, where you get it matters as much as what you get. buy from someone that does the set up
    before selling it to you.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Go with Mandolin store I bought from them and highly recommend them.

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like The Mandolin Store is the way to go.

They also have a new The Loar LM-520 with a hard case and same pro setup for $150 less than the Eastman. Is the Eastman model the better of the two or are they both pretty much in the same ballpark?

The mandolin store is also running a sale on 305/315 where you get a free upgrade to a cast tailpiece, and the 315 will come with an arched-lid hardshell case. Pretty solid deal IMHO.

I'd go with that deal The Mandolin Store is doing right now on the upgraded 315's over the Load LM-520 if it was me.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Thanks everyone! Just pulled the trigger on the 315 at the MS - super excited!!

9. The following members say thank you to jawgee for this post:

Tell us how it turns out!

I was gonna say that no way you should get the 315...

Just kidding. Great choice and have a blast man!
    The set-up and service from the MS is well worth it!

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

For your mandolin edification send a PM to Rob Meldrum here on the Café for his free mandolin setup book. Lots of good information there for the new to mandolin enthusiast. Enjoy R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    I was gonna say that no way you should get the 315...

Just kidding. Great choice and have a blast man!
    The set-up and service from the MS is well worth it!

Haha, thanks! It sounds like I made a good choice. Hopefully I'll have the 315 in my hands by the end of the week! <Ric Flair>Woo!</Ric Flair>

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    For your mandolin edification send a PM to Rob Meldrum here on the Café for his free mandolin setup book. Lots of good information there for the new to mandolin enthusiast. Enjoy R/
    Thanks, UsuallyPickin! I will contact Rob as that info sounds invaluable to have.

Setup is everything with this d@mn instrument. I've been trying to get a cheap Fender mando set-up and my gosh... it's 1000ths of an inch here and there.

I won't quit my day job.