Thread: Rigel Pickup Jack

Default Rigel Pickup Jack

I have an issue with my Rigel A+ Deluxe: I have multiples of two different brands of cords with right angle plugs, which is what I prefer going into the instrument. Both of the cord brands work fine in other instruments. The straight plugs work fine in the Rigel, but if I put any right angle plug in it, it has a hiss, but no other sound. If I carefully back the right angle out of the socket a tiny bit, it works, but that is not a workable arrangement for performance.

It seems to me if I could loosen that outer, gold-colored fitting, back it out slightly and retighten it, I'd be in good shape. But I can't get it to move. How does one do that?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1634.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	601.5 KB 
ID:	161198

Default Re: Rigel Pickup Jack

I am not sure why this is happening only with a right angle and not a straight plug. Have you measured from tip to barrel of each and see if something is different? I don't think I would worry about loosening the fitting on the back, it needs to be tight. I would consider making a fiber washer that could go over the 1/4" right angle plug the thickness of how much you back it out. If it fits tight it will stay there, and carry a spare should it go bad in the future. One more thing, if you back it out does the plug snap into place, if it does it should stay there.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I am not sure why this is happening only with a right angle and not a straight plug. Have you measured from tip to barrel of each and see if something is different? I don't think I would worry about loosening the fitting on the back, it needs to be tight. I would consider making a fiber washer that could go over the 1/4" right angle plug the thickness of how much you back it out. If it fits tight it will stay there, and carry a spare should it go bad in the future. One more thing, if you back it out does the plug snap into place, if it does it should stay there.
    pops: Thanks for your reply. The plug snaps into place all the way in, but that is not a functional position with the right angle plugs. Per your advice, I did measure the plugs and I think I see the problem. The plug shafts are the same overall length, but the divider between the tip and the shaft is about 1/32" farther from the barrel on the right angle plugs than the straight ones. The jack on my octave mandolin works fine with it, but it must be just slightly out of tolerance for the Rigel. I think your idea of a fiber washer is a good one.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I have noticed before that there is some variation in the specs on jacks, especially on the cheaper ones. If it is a cheap cord, maybe try a higher quality cord.
    Living’ in the Mitten

You could always solder a switchcraft right angle on if it is a cheaper plug. I like right angle plugs and use them on my cords and I prefer switchcraft over the others.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I have noticed before that there is some variation in the specs on jacks, especially on the cheaper ones. If it is a cheap cord, maybe try a higher quality cord.
    Steve: Good call. I ordered the top-rated cord on Amazon. Hopefully that will work.

I like your signature line. As a church musician, I also say there is a hymn that you should never sing in a TSA line. It is an African American spiritual, based on a quote from Jeremiah 8:22. The title of the hymn is:

"There is a Balm in Gilead"

I'm also a process consultant. There is a term in manufacturing called a "Bill Of Materials." It is commonly referred to as a "BOM." Another good one to avoid in the line!

FYI, you have to stick a 1/16" allen wrench into the jack to loosen it, not that it would help you here.

An older thread that talks about the jack not making contact with all plugs and my own thread that has photos about how to remove the jack:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...ickup-question
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...roubleshooting