Thread: Seeking Composer Dates

Default Seeking Composer Dates

Hi does anyone have birth and/or death dates for these mandolin composers?

Stellario Cambria (1874- after 1925) (1925 was the date of his last registered copyright)

J.Robert Morris

Will D. Moyer

George Muder

Thanks!

Default Re: Seeking Composer Dates

Neil, this Find a Grave listing suggests that the dates for George Muder may be 1864-1936.

Will Moyer (1872 – 1939) was a major composer and arranger for string instruments. In 1901 Moyer’s Modern Mandolin Method was published in Indianapolis, followed by numerous publications for mandolin, guitar, Hawaiian guitar, ukulele, 5 string, plectrum and tenor banjo. Moyer also taught and conducted mandolin groups in his native state of Pennsylvania. The publisher of this piece, William C. Stahl (1869 -1941) was one of the major publishers of string music during the ragtime era. Born in Weston, Missouri, he later moved to Milwaukee where he set up his publishing company. At the time of his death, a large amount of mint unsold music remained. His daughter hauled it to the dump assuming it was worthless.
    https://ragtimeskedaddlers.bandcamp....ack/easy-money

Stellario Cambria was a mandolin virtuoso and mandolin teacher who was active in New York between 1900 and 1925, he died in 1938
    http://www.mandoisland.de/noten2013/...l#.WdJwqUyZNYc

Thanks, both of you! I have a lot of their music, and am preparing to reprint some of it, so I wanted to include the dates, if I had them.

6. The following members say thank you to Neil Gladd for this post:

Sheri Mignano Crawford Mandophile's Avatar

Sorry, too late to help Neil. second edition? My research for my book yielded that Maestro Stellario died September 12, 1929.
    the spelling of Stellario's name has so many orthographic/typographic varitaions, it is a challenge to track him:
    Stelano, Stellano, Sallario, Stilleris etc
    my endnote citation:
    Glen Cove Record, microfilm reel, GCR, 2. Compiled by Denise Lamere & Mary Graves. Cambria’s estranged wife would die at the age of 111. (I wonder if she was in the Guiness book? hmmmm)
    BTW, a p.s. Neil's missing date for Vincent Leon: He died 1944 in Los Angeles (as did his son Vincent a couple of decades later) all will be revealed...

8. The following members say thank you to Mandophile for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandophile View Post
    Sorry, too late to help Neil. second edition? My research for my book yielded that Maestro Stellario died September 12, 1929.
    the spelling of Stellario's name has so many orthographic/typographic varitaions, it is a challenge to track him:
    Stelano, Stellano, Sallario, Stilleris etc
    my endnote citation:
    Glen Cove Record, microfilm reel, GCR, 2. Compiled by Denise Lamere & Mary Graves. Cambria’s estranged wife would die at the age of 111. (I wonder if she was in the Guiness book? hmmmm)
    BTW, a p.s. Neil's missing date for Vincent Leon: He died 1944 in Los Angeles (as did his son Vincent a couple of decades later) all will be revealed...
    Thanks for the death date on Vincent Leon, I have so little information about him!

buy the Heroes book and you'll learn more than you think. I'm still astonished at how rich their lives were and what active lifestyles they enjoyed.

Hey Neil and other curious minds,
    glad I was able to help but as you know from having read the Vincent Leon chapter in IMHIA, I left Leon in limbo. Pieces of his puzzle were missing. Well, thanks to tenacity and my last venture into Curti's life, I am pleased to say that I have now filled in the vacuum in Leon's life. It was a Eureka moment or two this week when I discovered that Leon changed his last name, abandoned his wife and children and found a delicious young woman! I'll save all the salacious tidbits for my upcoming book which will cover Curti's immediate colleagues. Stay tuned. I hope to have it availabe by summer if all goes well. It continues to be an amazing adventure following these Italian mandolinists.
    Sheri Mignano Crawford

https://www.zighibaci.com (books)
    https://www.eurocafemusic.com (on hiatus)
    https://academia.edu (articles, monographs, papers)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCi...FkUGI_5-XnJMoQ (YouTube)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandophile For This Useful Post: