Thread: Mandolin Recommendations

Default Mandolin Recommendations

What's the best mandolin in the $500-$700 range? Currently leaning towards an eastman 505.

Default Re: Mandolin Recommendations

Buying based on price can be a useful place to start, but is not something you want to lock in to. While Eastman has a good reputation, I usually prefer Kentucky and their KM505 has a very positive long term reputation. It usually will sell for less as well. There happens to be a Kentucky KM900 for sale in the classifieds for only $700. They sell new for $1000. I don't think you could go wrong with that.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

4. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Best value would be in a quality used instrument. You don't lose money if you trade up, and you get your money back if you decide mandolin is not for you.

6. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

"Best" is subjective. Eastman MD505 is a nice mandolin; there are many Eastman owners (including me) on the Cafe, who would recommend it. Other comparable priced instruments include the Kentucky KM-270, the Loar LM-400, and the JBovier A-5.

If you can possibly get your hands on more than one of these models, your personal preferences will guide you to choose the one that suits you. They all are well-made A-model, f-hole mandolins, with solid wood construction, hand-carved or at least hand-finished top and back, and non-thick-poly finishes, but they differ in neck profile, sound (to some extent), and appearance.

You're the judge of what's "best." I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions from other Cafe members; remember that these opinions are to a large extent based on the responders' personal experience, which is not entirely transferable to you. Individual instruments differ, and each player has his/her personal likes and dislikes.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Eastman’s are good mandos, I played a 315 for a few years until I got my Northfield. The 300 series is a bit cheaper and not much different than the 500 that have a bit more bling. Lots of info here on cafe about Eastman’s and Kentucky’s I'd go with a 300 series Eastman (I’ve not played a Kentucky but they are well thought of here), it will keep its value for resale or be a very nice mando for camping, festivals etc after you get your next one...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

You should really try to get your hands on some mandolins too, so you can get a feel for what you like, both in terms of sound and in playability/comfort. I had an Eastman MD-315 which was a fine little starter mandolin, but when I moved to the Kentucky KM-950, I then realized how much more comfortable the neck profile was on the Kentucky. Now something like this is purely subjective, and everyone will have they're own preference. I'll also echo others on here, go used if you can. If you check the cafe classifieds periodically, good deals always pop up there.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    +1 on the Kentucky 900 used.

There is a very noticeable sonic inprovement when you get to the 900 series Kentuckys. You do have to like the basic Kentucky sound and feel though, and that's very subjective. I had an Eastman 505 as my first mandolin and felt it was a good value as it looked much better than the 305, enough to make a difference to me.

The absolute best sounding mandolin I've played in your range was a Flatiron 1N. Really a beautiful sound if you are into non bluegrass styles.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

J. Bovier mandolins have received some praise by cafe members, and there's a decent one in the classifieds right now. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115711#115711
    Also an Eastman 505 at a decent price. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115685#115685

Quote Originally Posted by wxfloyd View Post
    J. Bovier mandolins have received some praise by cafe members, and there's a decent one in the classifieds right now. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115711#115711
    Also an Eastman 505 at a decent price. https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115685#115685
    +1 on the 2017 JBovier A5 in the classifieds for $750 right now. Might tell the seller you only have $700 and see if they go for it.
    New sells for $900. I've played many Eastman and JBovier mandolins. I like them both, but the JBovier are better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	115711.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	217.0 KB 
ID:	161126
    I also like the JBovier better than the Kentucky KM900. I'm partial to radiused fretboards and solid tailpiece. JBovier has those. KM900 does not.

Blog Entries

What kind of music are you into playing? You might do well with a flat top.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Best value would be in a quality used instrument. You don't lose money if you trade up, and you get your money back if you decide mandolin is not for you.
    This is what I did, bought a good used Ratliff and i love it.

17. The following members say thank you to Ronnie. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    What kind of music are you into playing? You might do well with a flat top.
    I am learning celtic at the moment but hope to branch out to classical and bluegrass.

I have a Kentucky 162 now. Was thinking of scrounging up some extra cash and picking up a Kentucky 950. Although I wanted a more versatile instrument. It's why i was leaning so hard towards the eastmans. But honestly my next mandolin will likely be my last. (I work for a non-profit and there's no money in helping people. lol) Knowing that, I figure it might be worth it to get into the $1200 range. Although I know absolutely nothing about mandos in that price category.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    "Best" is subjective. Eastman MD505 is a nice mandolin; there are many Eastman owners (including me) on the Cafe, who would recommend it. Other comparable priced instruments include the Kentucky KM-270, the Loar LM-400, and the JBovier A-5.

If you can possibly get your hands on more than one of these models, your personal preferences will guide you to choose the one that suits you. They all are well-made A-model, f-hole mandolins, with solid wood construction, hand-carved or at least hand-finished top and back, and non-thick-poly finishes, but they differ in neck profile, sound (to some extent), and appearance.

You're the judge of what's "best." I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions from other Cafe members; remember that these opinions are to a large extent based on the responders' personal experience, which is not entirely transferable to you. Individual instruments differ, and each player has his/her personal likes and dislikes.
    Unfortunately there is only 1 mandolin dealer near me and they sell Eastmans and Collings. I have to purchase online, sight unseen, if i want any other brand. Which is why i was leaning towards a reputable store like TMS. I do plan to go test out their Eastmans though.

20. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

Hi Em Tee. I have an Eastman MD505 from The Mandolin Store. I really like the playability (good setup) and the sound. I am a newbie, though, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    Unfortunately there is only 1 mandolin dealer near me and they sell Eastmans and Collings. I have to purchase online, sight unseen, if i want any other brand. Which is why i was leaning towards a reputable store like TMS. I do plan to go test out their Eastmans though.
    I recommend playing the Eastman mandolins that you have available at your local store.
    Eastman is a good choice, and buying from your local store is a great choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed with an Eastman. I personally prefer buying a used instrument to get a better value for my $, but there is a lot to be said about local support with a nearby music shop.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Unfortunately there is only 1 mandolin dealer near me and they sell Eastmans and Collings.
    What nearby dealer has Collings mandolins?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    What nearby dealer has Collings mandolins?
    Are you in South East Florida? Penny Lane in Fort Lauderdale carries Eastmans, Collings, and Loars. Those are the only mandolin brands they carry though.

https://www.pennylaneemporium.com

25. The following members say thank you to Em Tee for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Are you in South East Florida? Penny Lane in Fort Lauderdale carries Eastmans, Collings, and Loars. Those are the only mandolin brands they carry though.

https://www.pennylaneemporium.com
    I do. I actually took a few lessons from Armando a few years ago. Back then he was struggling to keep Eastmen in stock as his better options. I am pleased to learn that South Florida now has at least one local source for higher end mandolins.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

If you can go to $1200, you will get a hefty upgrade. Worth it IMHO.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

In all honesty....................welcome to the black hole.

It is just going to get worse.

I can't afford for it to get worse. I decided to get a used eastman 505 and eventually upgrade to a weber gallatin. The dream mando is a collings. We'll see!

The 505 is a solid instrument that you should have no problems with. Since its used, hopefully the setup should already be taken care of. If you aren't sure of its setup history, you should probably have a good luthier look over it and make sure everything is kosher with the setup. In all honesty, it probably wouldn't hurt to have it looked over regardless of its setup history.