Thread: Beginner looking for advices

Default Beginner looking for advices

Hi everyone!
    Pardon my english, I'm still not fluent.
    I'm new to mandolin and fell in love with this instrument during a trip to Ireland.
    As a poor student, I bought some inexpensive mando from amazon : https://www.amazon.fr/Mandoline-Natu...215CTD2WYPADT4

Do you think that's a good starter instrument?
    What kind (shape?) of mandolin should I buy if I get good and upgrade to something better? (I would like to play celtic music and why not bluegrass)

Thanks,
    MisterLama

Default Re: Beginner looking for advices

I do not know that make ore model. At that price I wouldn't expect much. It probably will need setup work. I professional setup would cost more than the mandolin. There is a free guied to mandolin setup available (in English) from member Rob Meldrum.
    Last edited by Nevin; Sep-24-2017 at 11:40am. Reason: Got Rob's last name wrong.

Thanks you and thanks Rob

Here is Rob's setup book.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...by-Rob-Meldrum
    It may be a bit more tricky to get the string height right since it does not have an adjustable bridge, but you can sand the bridge down from the bottom of the bridge. Just be careful when you do that you do not remove too much material.

From the link you gave above, it looks like you're in France?
    I'd contact Dave Hynds who probably has a selection of mandolins that would be great for Celtic music, when you decide to upgrade.
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/index.htm
    Last edited by colorado_al; Sep-24-2017 at 12:25pm.

I have to chuckle when someone apologizes for their perceived lack of English skills. We Americans are the most foreign language deficient folks on the planet. That you can communicate in a non native language is commendable.

I'll add that you should get the setup guide and make the most of what you have. You need upwards of $300 to get what most of us would consider a solid mandolin, and that would be used.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Thanks and yeah I'm french

- - - Updated - - -

Alright I'm gonna follow your advice and when I'll get better I will put more money in my mandolin

As others have mentioned, setup makes a huuuge difference. I have a stagg A style electro acoustic mandolin and after a good setup she sounds quite serviceable :D

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Mr. Lama -

First, your written English is better than most native English speakers. Much better. No apology needed!

Next, about setup: I just bought a mandolin online. It was, for me expensive, but I wanted a solid wood archtop made in the US, and this is a well-regarded middle-market brand.

It arrived gorgeous but unplayable. It looked fine, but it caused my entire left forearm to go numb whenever I played for a few minutes.

So I took it to a good local luthier for inspection and setup. It cost about $40. He did his magic, and now it plays wonderfully.

So - a good setup might improve your mando enough to make it a keeper.

Enjoy - and welcome to Mandolin Cafe!

Blog Entries

I will add my voice to those suggesting that the mandolin will almost certainly need a good setup after you receive it. When that is done, you will be able to give the instrument and yourself a fair test to determine if you will enjoy playing the mandolin and the experience of learning and improving your mandolin skills. You have already bought the mandolin, so look forward -- it IS a good starter instrument because it is getting you started. Correct?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Thanks for welcoming me,
    I'm gonna try and see what I can do alone with the set-up and if I not satisfied with the sound I get, I know a good luthier, so I'll go and ask him

12. The following members say thank you to MisterLama for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MisterLama View Post
    I'm gonna try and see what I can do alone with the set-up and if I not satisfied with the sound I get, I know a good luthier, so I'll go and ask him
    Maybe you can even combine the two. See if the luthier you know is willing to give you tips and guidance as you do the setup yourself. That may cost as much as a one-time setup, or more, or you might get lucky and the luthier is willing to do it for free. But in the end you'll likely learn how to do it twice as well as you would from the book alone.