Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eastman 315 upgrade suggestion, just 1

Default Eastman 315 upgrade suggestion, just 1

I have been playing an Eastman 315 for almost two years. Its all stocked. I really like it and I'm not really in a position to fully upgrade to a new mando.

So my question is, which 1 thing should I upgrade. For instance, tailpiece, bridge, tuners, etc. I have a toneguard on it and use Primetone, Wegen & VPicks. Also I use 74's for strings. I just want do at least 1 upgrade to make the sound better. Just like to know some thoughts.

Default Re: Eastman 315 upgrade suggestion, just 1

Bridge upgrade probably gives you the best choice of those listed for improving, or at least changing, the tone. Cumberland Acoustics come highly recommended, but I noticed substantial improvement on a KM 675-S just by replacing the rosewood bridge with a well fitted ebony bridge from Stew Mac (also an inexpensive option, which was very important for me at the time)...
    Chuck

Depends. How well does it hold tuning now? If you think it could be better, then I'd recommend new tuners.

If the tuners work well for you, then a new bridge would be my recommendation.

I personally wouldn't bother with the tailpiece. While a different model might make it easier to change strings, don't think it has that big of an effect on tone. Again, that's just my opinion. Other reasonable people may disagree.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Have you ever tried heavier strings? I'm using the 11.5-40 Nickel Bronze set, and love the sound. At least try the EJ75 set. Dramatic improvement on my 315. Adding an armrest was night and day difference, also.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

My 315's tuners always keep it in tune. So far that has not really been an issue. Seems like a better bridge will really help out. I was curious about it a new tailpiece would really matter?

6. The following members say thank you to Chughes423 for this post:

Changing the tailpiece won't make a big difference, but a CA bridge will. Make sure you have a luthier mate the bridge to the top.

8. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

George,

Will I actually need a luthier to change out the bridge or would this be best practice to have one involved?

Just as the garden party was gettin' goin', the skunk showed up...

I'd save the money you plan to spend on "upgrade," toward a better mandolin. You like your 315, and IMHO the marginal improvement you'll realize for putting a couple hundred buxx into swapping out components, would be exceeded by taking the 315 plus the "upgrade" money, and seeing what deal you could make on the used market.

I've only done a few "upgrades" -- beyond improvements necessitated by problems with the original instrument -- and haven't gotten the "bang for my buck" I hoped for.

This may be an exception, but in my experience the Eastman "300's" are pretty well-designed and well-made instruments as they come from Eastman. I know we all have the urge to tinker and fiddle with our instruments, in hopes of improvement, but sometimes we have to realize they are what they are, and if we want better, we have to buy a better instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Get a CA bridge, save the Loar bridge,and if you upgrade, put the CA on your new mando (if it doesn't already have one.)
    Living’ in the Mitten

I replaced the tailpiece on my MD 315, but only because the original cover was buzzing and I tired of fiddling with it. It was well worth it, but I wouldn't be expecting tonal improvement.

Agree with allenhopkins, nothing you do will upgrade the sound enough to justify the cost except experiment with different alloys and gauges of strings. If you like the mandolin play the crap out of it and every time you are tempted to "improve" it put a hundred dollars in you cookie jar, before yoy know it you can upgrade to a different mandolin that you may or may not like better. Thus is the way of MAS

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

If you're not experienced with fitting a bridge to the top, having a luthier involved would save you time and headache, but it's not rocket science. Checkout frets.com for more information on how to do it. If you go the CA route, let Steve know it's for a 315, and he may be able to get it pretty close just from experience.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chughes423 View Post
    George,

Will I actually need a luthier to change out the bridge or would this be best practice to have one involved?
    As some say it is not rocket science, but if screw it up you have to buy another bridge.
    Contact Steve at CA and let him know you have a 315 and maybe he can get it close.

Also, you have the old bridge to practice on before you try to fit the CA. As George points out, you don't want to screw it up!
    Chuck

Dave Sheets

Another skunk poking around here- it's typically hard to get much of your money back out of upgrades if you sell the instrument later or trade it in. Save your money for the next step up in mandolins, and buy used.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave Sheets For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

You could treat yourself to some lessons. Get an operator upgrade.

22. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    You could treat yourself to some lessons. Get an operator upgrade.
    Best advice yet. Operator upgrade LOL.

Second best advice, save up for an upgraded instrument.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

24. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I've found little value to bridge, tuner or tailpiece upgrades. I'm perfectly happy with stamped tailpieces, for example. I also use all 12 chads!

On my A3, I elected to go with the adjustable bridge. It lasted a month or so! I mean no improvement and changed the factory specs.

I do love the EXP-74cm string set. Have you tried Thomastik Heavy strings? They're $50 bucks a set, but maybe a fun experiment, depending on your musical style, etc.

Is your nut height dialed in? I find this the biggest hurdle in enjoying a new mandolin. An incredible upgrade if not currently correct.

So, I don't support the notion of change-out upgrades. Well, unless the tuners don't work and you are not prone to fixing them?

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

26. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Though it probably happens around here occasionally, the "upgraded" mandolin usually doesn't solve much. I'm living proof.

Bought a $400 Eastman once. Played it. Shrugged. Got a CA bridge installed. Liked the change but still ended up shrugging. Sold the Eastman, lost all the upgrade money, etc etc.

Got a Collings. Loved it and still do. But still sort of shrugged, and finally realized it's not really about the mandolin but about making music on it.

If I had all to do over again, I'd still be playing and enjoying my first mandolin: a $62 eBay Kentucky that had been destroyed and repaired. If nothing else, that instrument had a cool story attached to it.

YMMV.

28. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I'd also save the money on high dollar upgrades. Put the cash in a jar labeled "New Mandolin Fund". Once the jar has $2000 in it, start looking.
    In the meantime, I'd try different strings. That is the cheapest and easiest way to get different sounds out of your instrument. Not sure what strings you are using now, or what type of music you like, but I love using flatwound strings. Worth the $13 to try out.
    http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dmaflme11fw.html

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Regarding a, "Mandolin Fund." About 15 years ago, the kids were still in the house and I was saving for their college. There was no room for a $5,000 mandolin! I decided to try my hand at saving. . . What a concept!

So, I put $50/mo into two different mutual funds (i.e., $100/mo total). Heck, I figured that'd be 4 years for about $5,000! Then I'd be set. Amazing what starting does!

Fast forward to today. I got a mandolin fund! It's just morphed into my, "New Car Fund." My vote? Start a mandolin fund.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

31. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Caleb 

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah .... I have to agree with the save your money vote. Play all the mandolins you can and put away as much as you can afford to do. The Eastman is a well built student grade instrument. Experiment with strings , picks and technique for tonal differences in your instrument. You will grow out of it and into another , read more expensive, instrument in time. You will also in that time learn what and how you want to play. That information will stand you in better stead when you go to spend four or five digits on your next instrument. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

Cumberland Acoustics bridge. Hands down the best, most notable upgrade sound-wise that I made to my Eastman 615.
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin

Blue chip pick. You can even use it on your next mando...

And then you can start another thread about it, we don't seem to have enough blue chip threads running right now
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Find and follow my mandovoodoo instructions. They're on here somewhere. Lots of performance inside the 315, just takes some digging.
    Stephen Perry

37. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post: