Thread: Fiddle Hell for mandolin players?

Default Fiddle Hell for mandolin players?

Despite the name, I've heard it's a good weekend for mandolins. I assume a few folks on this site have gone. I could use some intensive playing of fiddle tunes, and I'd love to hear the opinions of anyone who has gone (or hasn't, though I'd weight those lightly)

http://www.fiddlehell.org/

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Default Re: Fiddle Hell for mandolin players?

Yes. It's great for anything. Just go! If there's any drawback, it's too much happening in too little time. Well worth the time and minimal expense.

3. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

Cindy 

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Default Re: Fiddle Hell for mandolin players?

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
    Despite the name, I've heard it's a good weekend for mandolins. I assume a few folks on this site have gone. I could use some intensive playing of fiddle tunes, and I'd love to hear the opinions of anyone who has gone (or hasn't, though I'd weight those lightly)

http://www.fiddlehell.org/
    Hi Cindy,

We've got some fine teachers leading mandolin-specific workshops at Fiddle Hell in Westford, MA, Nov 3-5, 2017 -- Skip Gorman, David Surette, Richie Brown, Shana Aisenberg, August Watters, Rob Flax, and Jason Anick. Mandolins are welcome at most fiddle workshops (skip the bowing workshops!) and at all the jams.

By my count, there are 192 workshops and jams where mandolin is one of the target instruments. You'll definitely find intensive playing of fiddle tunes in New England, Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton, Bluegrass, Oldtime, Swing, Cajun and other styles. It's possible to search the sessions on the Schedule page of http://www.fiddlehell.org by style, instructor, time, instrument, etc.

Fiddle Hell is fun, supportive, and inexpensive. I'm not unbiased, of course :-). As Charlie said, the hellish part is trying to decide where to go when 21 sessions are happening simultaneously, plus 6 or 7 hallway jams!

Hope to see you and some more mando players there! We also have tracks for guitar, OT banjo, cello, and singing.

Best,
    Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Reiner For This Useful Post: