Thread: Looking for info Howard Mandolins, out of Turlock, CA

Default Looking for info Howard Mandolins, out of Turlock, CA

Hey everyone, I got linked to this mando:
    https://reverb.com/item/6333895-howa...n#policies-tab
    And was just looking for info on the brand, I can't find squat.

Any and all info appreciated!

Default Re: Looking for info Howard Mandolins, out of Turlock, CA

Not definitive, but "Howard" was a Japanese brand of instruments in the 1970's. Here's a paragraph from the Spinditty.com website, listing "Japanese Manufacturers of Made-In-Japan Badged Guitars from 1950 to 1980":

Matsumoku
    Matsumoku is one of the Japanese manufacturers that did not survive long after the heyday of the 1970s guitar market despite having a long tradition of quality stringed instrument craftsmanship. Matsumoku produced guitars for major manufacturers Greco, Guyatone and Yamaha. Matsumoku made Arai, Aria, Aria Pro II and Aria Diamond badges, with Aria being their primary badge for a majority of this time frame. Badged guitars known to have been made by Matsumoku include Apollo, Arita, Barclay, Burny, Capri, Columbus, Conrad, Cortez (electrics only), Country, Cutler, Dia, Domino, Electra, Epiphone, Granada, Hi Lo, Howard, Ibanez, Lindberg, Lyle, Luxor, Maxitone (this guitar differs from Tama's Maxitone badge), Mayfair, Memphis, Montclair, Pan, Pearl (electrics only), Raven, Stewart, Tempo, Univox ,Vantage, Ventura, Vision, Volhox, Washburn (in 1979 and 1980), Westbury, Westminster and Westone. Possible Matsumoku badges include: Bruno, Crestwood, Conqueror, Eros, Mako, Memphis, Orlando and Toledo.

The instrument seems to have characteristics that conform to Japanese-made mandolins of that period. Could be a decent instrument, but at $850, I'd want to know a bit more about it: solid woods vs. laminates, carved vs. heat-pressed top and back, type of finish, etc.

Let us know what you decide.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I am not familiar with Howard, but I did notice in the pictures on Reverb, that the fret ends are covered with binding "nibs" like Gibson does. Not that it is a Gibson, of course, but could possibly be a hand-made mandolin -- at least to my way of thinking, that is, the extra work required to create the "nibs." Possibly. Just a guess, nothing to back it up. Not to say it is an expensive "boutique" mandolin, merely one somebody made themselves. If there is a label inside, that could help with the detective work. The case is a hoot!

Could be a decent instrument, but at $850, I'd want to know a bit more about it: solid woods vs. laminates, carved vs. heat-pressed top and back, type of finish
    That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Thanks for pointing me in a direction!
    I shot them a message, that particular mando doesn't have label but they have another that does, so they're going to send a picture of that for me. Hopefully it helps a little.

5. The following members say thank you to JamesW for this post: