Page 1 of 14 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Search Continues... Part 2

Default The Search Continues... Part 2

Last edited by The Musician's Wife; Aug-27-2017 at 4:25pm.

Default Re: The Search Continues... Part 2

Yes it is true, I'm on another mando search as I'm sure lots of other people on here are on also.
    My wife is humored by it all, and she's been such a good sport along the way through all the mando madness. She enjoys blogging about it, and she bonds with other spouses who are married to musicians. She'll be posting videos along the way, and it's all in good fun so feel free to chime in with your own stories about your mando searches. I love outside thoughts on this stuff - nothing better than geeking out on mandolin talk..

Dem
    Last edited by Demetrius; Aug-27-2017 at 5:02pm.

Blog Entries

Wait, you removed the video... Almost certainly in error. It's on YouTube now so...

Here it is below. For the record, I (the guy that runs the Mandolin Cafe) didn't shut down this. One of the moderators apparently felt it was time.

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I had a feeling this was coming.. I don't mind videos of my mandolin search process being posted but this ones had to go...

Dem

Has the term "to be mooched" with its most recent, contemporary referent entered our lexicon yet? For this would be the "mooch" of mandolin-genre videos.

I'm sorry about that...I should have explained before taking the video down. We'll be posting other (better!) videos of this new search process and really appreciate the chance to post here. It helps to get feedback from the people who participate on these forums... Thanks so much.

6. The following members say thank you to The Musician's Wife for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Musician's Wife View Post
    I'm sorry about that...I should have explained before taking the video down. We'll be posting other (better!) videos of this new search process and really appreciate the chance to post here. It helps to get feedback from the people who participate on these forums... Thanks so much.
    Re the vid: I don't know where you were going (or where this thread is going), but I'm glad you're using your turn signals - a lot of folks ostensibly driving around not knowing what they want are erratic with their turn signals..

I liked the vid - a classic study in existential dread. The driving around is an effective metaphor.

I've been feeling A models lately..

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Man, your last escapade had a profound impact on me. I was in the depths of it, going through one after another, and watching your ordeal unfold really was cathartic. A buddy of mine, Barry on here, had a wonderful mandolin I've always really liked. I went after it hard, he finally relented and I have stayed with it. Thanks. There are things to be learned in unexpected places.

10. The following members say thank you to Atlanta Mando Mike for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Wait, you removed the video... Almost certainly in error. It's on YouTube now so...

Here it is below. For the record, I (the guy that runs the Mandolin Cafe) didn't shut down this. One of the moderators apparently felt it was time.
    Not me. I'm into pain.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Well, the video above was moved to YouTube and marked PRIVATE by the owner, so we at the Cafe can't see it. Evidently, Demetrius or his wife no longer wants to let us view it.

If I am not mistaken, this is the same guy who went back and forth on the MC, rather publicly, for weeks on end about his indecision about high-end mandolins, seeking out -- but seemingly ignoring! -- all manner of opinions on the subject from the experts here. After agonizing over several superb candidates, he eventually bought an amazing Gilchrist F5, but promptly returned it for various minor reasons having to do with his dissatisfaction with the setup and finish. Astonishingly, he thought the better of this rash move and then bought it all over again from the very same, highly reputed dealer in California. And now, just a few months later, he has put the Gilchrist up for sale again for $19,500 in the MC Classifieds. He tells us his wife is amused at his behavior, and enjoys blogging about his inability to gain satisfaction, or to make up his mind.

Well, if it were my wife, she would likely have been completely infuriated that I invested nearly $20,000 of our joint savings in a will-o'-the-wisp, just to fuel some kind of insatiable MAS. It's one thing to save up for a long time and finally purchase the instrument of your dreams. It's quite another to constantly churn through the most expensive instruments, selling them (as it would appear) at a loss each time. But hey, perhaps this guy has a source of independent wealth, and $20,000 is just not the same thing to him that it might be to you, or to me? There is no way I'd have $20,000 to spend on a lark if I were a professional musician playing in some small-time band in the Boston area, I reckon. Not unless I were a trust-fund baby or something. Or maybe it's that behavior that seems utterly CRAZY to me makes perfect sense to someone else? Hey, I get MAS, too, but I manage it. And someday I might get a Gilchrist myself. But I need to become a better player and save more money, both of which I'm working hard at!

Then again, maybe he's decided to downsize, and convert that costly Gilchrist F5 back into some badly needed cash, just to stay afloat? In which case, I wonder what the music equivalent might be to the wise old saying "Your eyes are bigger than your stomach!"??

14. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

f5joe 

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I've been feeling A models lately..
    Well lets get the party started..........

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/114114#114114

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/114088#114088
    Last edited by Charles E.; Aug-27-2017 at 6:37pm.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

what do you have and what are you looking for?

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Sblock...Why do you care so much if this guy buys a bunch of Mandolin's? I'm honestly just curious.

sblock, I do appreciate much of what you contribute to the forum but your post above sounds somewhere between envy and sour grapes. You should quit worrying about what other people are doing with their money and lives. In our great country we get to do what we want as long as we are able.

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Charley, I love that Dude...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post

Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Another of posts and pages -- the last thread reached 37 pp before life support was turned off -- forthcoming?

My first and only visit to this one.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

https://reverb.com/item/5381857-mowr...-mandolin-2011

I have been lusting after this, not sure you want and oval though.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Another of posts and pages -- the last thread reached 37 pp before life support was turned off -- forthcoming?

My first and only visit to this one.
    For those who inquired above, I concur with Allen Hopkins' assessment. The previous thread generated 37 pages before it was closed, during which the OP bought and returned (or re-sold) several costly mandolins, and eventually could not decide about anything, so his wife literally asked the people here on the Cafe to vote on any one of five mandolins that, apparently, the OP could not decide among. I'm not joking! She also posted a video (since removed) of him whining in bed about his indecision. All true.

I agree that is it a free country. I also agree that folks should be entitled to do whatever they like with their own money (provided that no laws are broken and taxes get paid, that is). Furthermore, it's no skin off my back; I have no dog in this fight; use whatever cliche you want to express the sentiment that this is not directly my affair. Or the rest of our affair, either! There's no disputing any of that. But that doesn't mean we should encourage folks to act foolishly, and after reading all 37 pages of the last thread, I sincerely believe that the OP is acting foolishly. I also believe some folks here may have been egging him on, a bit -- this is akin to feeding the troll, but with less of a negative spin. And others here were reading to indulge a bit of schadenfreude. And some here were living out their mandolin fantasies vicariously, I suppose, recommending all their favorite expensive instruments to see what happened.

As the expression goes: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I won't take the bait this time around, and I recommend that others not take the bait, either. Before you post suggestions and comments to this thread, I'd recommend reading all 37 pages of the previous one ("The Search Continues"), if nothing else but to see what we're dealing with here. There. I've said my peace.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    I won't take the bait this time around
    For someone steadfastly refusing to take the bait, you sure are talking about it a lot.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ron McMillan For This Useful Post:

My opinion coming only from behind my keyboard is that Dem has a sound in his head and he hasn't found the instrument that matches it yet. If he has the ability and the support to chase that down at whatever price, good for him. And, if as he says above he's leaning toward A models, then maybe that Gil can be parlayed into a couple of outstanding, but different instruments. Sometimes you hear multiple voices in your head...

Based on his videos and what he's written, I'd be looking for a Monteleone or Heiden.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Seale For This Useful Post:

I am enjoying Demetrius' quest for "The Mandolin". I'm not sure why anyone would be annoyed by the details of the search.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

32. The following members say thank you to carleshicks for this post:

For those of you who are aggravated by this thread, please just block it or avoid participating. There are obviously plenty of us who play catch and release and obsess about MAS. This guy happens to be a higher roller than many of us, but I find no fault in that. If members are indulging in schadenfreude, they missed the point. Dem seems to enjoy the ride, has the support of his spouse, and a willing group of fellow zealots. If you find this disturbing, please tune out! I find these threads very captivating.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Steve-o For This Useful Post:

Hey Mark! I like your thinking, and its really interesting you mention Monteleone cause Im very intrigued by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Seale View Post
    My opinion coming only from behind my keyboard is that Dem has a sound in his head and he hasn't found the instrument that matches it yet. If he has the ability and the support to chase that down at whatever price, good for him. And, if as he says above he's leaning toward A models, then maybe that Gil can be parlayed into a couple of outstanding, but different instruments. Sometimes you hear multiple voices in your head...

Based on his videos and what he's written, I'd be looking for a Monteleone or Heiden.

Hey thank you Mando Mike! I really appreciate the kind words and Im very happy to hear you got a mando that is really speaking to you.

Dem
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Mando Mike View Post
    Man, your last escapade had a profound impact on me. I was in the depths of it, going through one after another, and watching your ordeal unfold really was cathartic. A buddy of mine, Barry on here, had a wonderful mandolin I've always really liked. I went after it hard, he finally relented and I have stayed with it. Thanks. There are things to be learned in unexpected places.