Thread: New Tenor Guitar From Eastwood

Default New Tenor Guitar From Eastwood

Posted for member information only - no commercial interest.

https://eastwoodcustoms.com/projects...d-delta-tenor/

Cheers,

Steve

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: New Tenor Guitar From Eastwood

Nice playing even if it does have six strings....

Who makes the resonator cone? I've had several resonator guitars and ukuleles. If it's not a National cone fogedaboudit.

Kudos to Eastwood for conjuring up all these new TG models. If I had the bread, I'd surely have one of each. Good things don't last forever.
    Dc

Looks promising.

While National does make a good cone, the recent pac-rim stuff is pretty descent. Getting a proper setup is far more important than the source of the cone, which may even be from a single place for all we know.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

6. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Are there any unamplified sound samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Are there any unamplified sound samples?
    See here, at 5:05...

...but really, ultimately this is not a guitar that is designed for unplugged play. If you want that, there are plenty of options for tenor acoustic resonators (National, Republic, Gold Tone, to name a few)

I experienced a brain disorder and sold my pear shaped National tenor last year. I would like to find a reso with great sound I n the $500 area to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I experienced a brain disorder and sold my pear shaped National tenor last year. I would like to find a reso with great sound I n the $500 area to replace it.
    Your search may be a long one. The Gold Tone MBT+ and the Republic Highway 49 do show up used now and then, but they're rare so the used discount is often minimal, if any. I did just once see a Highway 49 show up on Elderly for just under $500, but it was very quickly snapped up.

And I've never found a National at that price. I imagine your hunger won't be truly satisfied until you have another National. They're seductive little beasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Escaped Cellist View Post
    Your search may be a long one. The Gold Tone MBT+ and the Republic Highway 49 do show up used now and then, but they're rare so the used discount is often minimal, if any. I did just once see a Highway 49 show up on Elderly for just under $500, but it was very quickly snapped up.

And I've never found a National at that price. I imagine your hunger won't be truly satisfied until you have another National. They're seductive little beasts.
    I hope that you are right about the Hwy 49 model. I just ordered a new one from http://republicguitars.com/highway-4...03-tenor-steel
    Last edited by Cornfield; Sep-02-2017 at 10:11am.

Gold Tone has put energy into their resonators and have used Paul Beard to do setups on at least some of their offerings before they go to market. I think that extends to their tenors as well but can't say for sure.

GT's are acoustic with electronics while the Republic's are acoustic only. I prefer the look of the Republic but getting the case and electronics with the GT make it a tough choice between the two.

I don't have any experience with Republic tenors, but I do have a Republic Mandolian (resonator mando like the old Nationals). I picked up mine from a reseller in Florida off ebay for not much.

The key selling feature for me was the adjustable truss-rod - I believe it's the only mando-reso with one - and I'm very glad that's the way I went. When I got it I must say it was in pretty miserable shape. It was new but never setup; it was as it came out of the factory; all the pieces were there but it took a bit to get it playable.

The point is that it sounded really dead out of the box. While most seem to jump at the chance to spend money on a new cone, I opted to make a new bridge using the tried and true maple/ebony formula. Once that was done the mando came to life with sweet tone and very nice volume. Would a different cone improve it more? Possibly, but at the moment it isn't "broken" so I'll keep the money and enjoy it the way it is.

If it turns out the cones in the Eastwoods are junk, as long as it's a standard size you should be able to replace it if you're into spending money. Has anyone checked if replacement cones will fit in the Eastwoods?
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -