Thread: Texas Mandolinists

Default Texas Mandolinists

With Hurricane Harvey approaching, let's hope none of us need to use our mandolins as boat paddles. I'm staying put in West Houston for now, may take the opportunity to some some recording with authentic rain/thunder sounds in the background.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Texas Mandolinists

Stay safe, y'all.

I'm north of y'all in Nacogdoches. Stay safe! Leave if they tell ya!

In San Antone...ready for 2 gigs this weekend...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MANDOSTAGE.jpeg 
Views:	208 
Size:	650.5 KB 
ID:	160266

Hopefully all we'll get at my house is some wind (forecast for around 30mph) and a little rain (around 4"). That's assuming Harvey does stall out and take a turn east. If for some reason he decides to barrel right in and keep going, he's headed straight through San Antonio and then the Hill Country where I am.

I have a jobsite in Corpus Christi where we're probably going to lose a lot of our equipment. I was really hoping we could get this building finished without any hurricane issues, but of course a major hurricane had to come in right as we were in the middle of framing the 11th floor (roof level). And the job is right across the street from the beach! If the winds really are as strong as they predict, we may actually have some tower cranes blow over, and it's probably going to sweep a lot of our equipment out of the building since it isn't cladded yet. Ah, fun times.

Everyone south and east of me, I hope y'all stay safe and dry! This storm, if it turns like they say it will, is pretty much going to rake the entire Texas coastline. Massive, massive flooding predicted with up to 36" of rain in some areas.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Battening down the hatches in Lockhart. :-)

-Chris

It is really bleak here, just keeps raining. I'm not personally in any danger here on the second floor and my car is surely safe on a parking deck but there are many many people who are in a very bad situation right now.

Very sad stuff. Thoughts/prayers from DFW.

10. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Seter 

No power for 17 hours here now. Sitting in the dark, playing acoustic instruments is pretty much the only way to pass the time.

12. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

My thoughts and prayers go out to all the folks in southern Texas and anywhere else Harvey did his thing. I understand that the worst is over but I'm sure there will be lots of work to do before things are back to normal.

'All the best.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

14. The following members say thank you to Oliver A. for this post:

I am in College Station. For the moment we are having a break in the rain, which has been constant since Friday. The city is safe, but classes were canceled today and tomorrow at Texas A&M University as a precaution, as many of our students come from the Houston area. Running rainfall reports vary across the city from 14 inches to 22 inches, and more is expected tomorrow.

As you can tell from the news, people in Houston inside Loop 610 and people in some towns southeast on the coast are in a very bad way. Seter, I am so sorry you have no power.

If you would like to play some storm music, I have attached a tune.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chasing the Storm mandolins 3.pdf  
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

16. The following members say thank you to harper for this post:

Hope you guys are all doing OK.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

My brother is over by Brays Bayou by Stella Link and they've been washed out. Two feet of water in the house. Spent the night in an abandoned house in the neighborhood as they tried to get out and got stuck. Got out this morning before the streets filled back up again. My sister is over on the East Side and they've been spared any flooding. Whattamess.

Been grim for them, but a lot of folks without resources or insurance have it way worse.

Austin has been spared a lot of the rain but the wind has me white knuckled. The Colorado has been flooding from Bastrop down to Columbus. Highest levels in 100+ years.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Still no power here, but I'm at work now able to recharge batteries, eat a warm meal etc. Once power comes on I'll try and upload to youtube some of things I recorded while sitting in the dark. We're starting to be in the cleanup phase now though many are still flooded and being rescued and water is rising in some parts from overfilled reservoirs. I'm going to volunteer this weekend and we'll be grateful for any help people have to offer.

You're all in my prayers, and relief efforts are ramping up from around the country. Stay safe, and be careful during the clean up phase...lots of insects, snakes, and critters otherwise have been flushed from their homes as well...
    Chuck

Registered User Sherry Cadenhead's Avatar

We're dry here in Irving. Prayers for those of you not as fortunate.