Thread: My low string(g) won't stop buzzing

Default My low string(g) won't stop buzzing

I'm playing mandolin right now(by the time you read this I won't be most likely) and every time I play on the lowest strings(g) I have to focus extremely hard on not making it buzz. And many chords involving this string buzz. What can I do?

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My low string(g) won't stop buzzing

If there are no mechanical problems with your instrument then it would be an issue of fretting hand technique. Practicing a musical instrument does at times require us to focus really hard so it might be helpful to examine the angle of your hand and fingers... are the fingers pressing straight down on the strings or does your finger approach the fret at more of an angle? The latter, I find, produces a cleaner sound. How close to the fret are you stopping the string? Closer is cleaner, in my experience and I try to play nearly on top of the fret.

I check and get back to you tomorrow.

I have experienced this same problem, and I concur with everything that AKA Frosty said - being very deliberate about where you press your finger in relation to the fret is the best way to overcome the buzzing.

It takes lots and lots of time and deliberate practice to get this kind of accuracy into muscle memory. I'm not there yet. Keep at it.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Technique and setup ...... both have to be good to have good tone. The right hand and the left hand have to be synchronized so pluck and press are concurrent. The string has to be high enough over the fret board to ring clearly when cleanly fretted but not so high as to make doing so physically difficult. If it is your technique causing the problem proper practice will prove out. If the mandolins action is set too low a slight adjustment of the bridge will solve the problem. Slight defined as one complete turn of the adjustment knob or less. I usually start with a half of a turn. Note: the strings on the side being raised have to be loosened to adjust the height. Also mandolin bridges general move and when out of the correct position cause the instruments intonation to be off. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I agree with everything that has been said so far, here are some more ideas. It's important to figure out where the buzz is coming from. There are a lot of things that can make a mandolin buzz. It could be a fretting issue. Mechanically, if your frets aren't level they can create a buzz, often on a single string. The G string is thicker and moves move than the other strings, so it needs more room. If the strings aren't well aligned with the neck (with the G strings too near the edge of the fretboard for example) they can can buzz, but not usually on open string notes. Sometimes the tailpiece cover can make contact with the strings in a way that causes a buzz. I fixed this on my mandolin by putting a piece of padding under the cover. Sometimes a string might sit slightly out of place in the bridge or have some debris in the slot that causes problems. Also a lose brace can buzz.
    I would spend some time trying to identify where the buzz is coming from. You might also trying play testing a different mandolin if that is an option and see if you have the same problem.

You can try deliberately trying to make it buzz to see if it's your finger placement or something mechanical.
    - Does it buzz on the open string?
    - Does it buzz every time you have your finger on the string or just sometimes? (Maybe you're not pressing hard or clean enough or in the right place.)
    - Does it buzz only on certain frets?

You can stuff something like a piece of foam down by the tailpiece to see if the buzz is coming from there. If it goes away, then you know.

You can try a small raising of the bridge on the G string side if the buzzing is caused by too low of action.

If you aren't comfortable fussing with the mechanics of the instrument, you can ask a luthier to look at it. I had one look at mine and he raised up the bridge just a tiny bit because it was buzzing a bit on one string on one of the frets high up the neck.

Well guys it looks like a technique problem. I wasnt holding the string hard enough.