Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin Bros Catalog Descriptions by Stan

Default Re: Mandolin Bros Catalog Descriptions by Stan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    In all I bought two mandolins, two banjos, a guitar, a few instrument cases and a slew of smaller stuff from Mandolin Bros. His prices were always fair in my book and he had the things I wanted to buy. When I bought my F5G I was standing playing every instrument on the wall and he walked in and said "We don't adhere to Gibson's price policies, that will cost you X dollars (can't remember exactly) and less than that if you pay by check". I bought the F5G I'd been playing on and off for a few hours and never regretted it. My main stage guitar came from Stan as well. I got the F5G cheaper than I could get it anyplace else that I could find that had it. I had some real memorable moments in that shop over the years.
    You are absolutely right. In the case of new instruments from prominent manufacturers, I don't think anyone could beat Mandolin Bros. for price. His prices were so low that it really irked the big names. The way I understand it, they eventually agreed that Stan would not publish his prices for certain brands. Instead, Stan would say something like "Call for price" with some not-so-subtle hints that it would be low.
    In the case of high end vintage instruments, my perception was that he was riding the crest of what a particular instrument was worth on the open market which I'm sure the sellers really loved. On the other hand, you can't get a nickel more than the market will pay and Stan had a keen sense of what that was. I remember, vaguely, a conversation I had with him where he described a phenominom known as "stumble then tumble". That's where a rare instrument is put up at a price higher than has ever been gotten for that year and model and the market bocks at it causing people to loose confidence in what the true value really is and it plummets. So, he had to be careful not to cross that line and I don't think he often did. He had a wealth of knowledge, experience and wisdom and seamed to know exactly where that line was.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oliver A. For This Useful Post:

I really enjoyed Stan's way with words and his colorful descriptions of the instruments for sale - he certainly was a talented writer. Of course he embellished the best qualities of his wares, but he seemed always to provide accurate and detailed description of what he offered for sale. He also had a keen insight to what customers wanted. For instance, after some extended efforts he finally talked Martin into making some vintage-inspired Martin custom models for him that he sold exclusively. At that time he understood the market better than they did. When Martin saw how those models sold for Stan, they later launched their "Vintage" series of guitars - made them part of their mainstream offering. His gift of prose was not relegated to his catalogs and web site. I once wrote him by email to ask about a particular instrument, and his reply was very witty and funny, as if he had really worked on it - I wish I had saved it.

4. The following members say thank you to PaulVA for this post:

I first started doing business with Stan in the 1980s via handwritten letters and dial up telephones. He would leave me equally entertained reliving his prose and jocularity while at the same time leaving my wallet never feeling like I got taken for a ride. In a world of disco fashion and rock and roll he confidently chose our nerdy little instrument for the embodiment of his business; Ballsy! Stan was an icon and I was honored to have him guest write in my column for the old Mandolin Magazine.

The world today desperately needs more Stans and less crusty crusty whole lotta' nothin' grumpy old men.....

6. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post: