Thread: Two A models - So similar and yet so different

Default Two A models - So similar and yet so different

I now own two mandolins - a Lafferty oval hole A model and a Flatiron f hole Performer A model. Both have a lot in common. The Lafferty is really a Summit A-100, built by Paul Schneider who worked for Flatiron and Gibson. Perhaps Schneider built or worked on both of these mandolins?! They share the peghead shape, the bolt on neck, and X bracing. Both are cleanly and artistically made. They both feature very fine figured maple and spruce.

Yet they are very different from one another. The Flatiron, made in '94, has a very thin neck of uniform thickness and a flat board. The Lafferty has a thicker V shaped neck and a radiused board. I find the Lafferty very comfortable, but the Flatiron okay. The top on the Flatiron is integrated into the fretboard, while the Lafferty is elevated. The Flatiron arching is classic, with a mild arch and graceful recurve. The Lafferty has a higher arch resolving into a tighter, fiddle like recurve. I enjoy this visual aspect very much. The Flatiron is finished in gloss, with the top sunburst and back, sides, and neck are solid dark brown. The Lafferty is finished in a uniform walnut color with satin nitro.

The biggest difference is in the tone. The Flatiron is what most contemporary mandolinists hope for; loud, sensitive, throaty, dynamic, dry, with a classic chop. The Lafferty is quite different tonally. Although it has good overall volume, the difference in bass tonal characteristics is dramatic. Bass characteristics can be described as softer edged and tubbier. The "chop" is replaced with an open chord tone suggesting old time, Celtic, and classic.

So much the same. And yet so different. I love them both.

Default Re: Two A models - So similar and yet so different

Good to have 2 different mandos that produce different tones.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

The general consensus of opinion on here is that 2 mandolins of the same model,from the same luthier,from the same batch of wood,will sound different. No 2 instruments will ever sound 'exactly' the same. Your Flatiron might have been built by Bruce Weber who also worked for that company. Then again,Bruce / Paul might have both worked on it - who knows ?.

I have 3 mandolins - 2 "F" styles & 1 "A" style,by 3 different builders,all 3 sound different one from another & that's exactly what i love about them. A different day - a different sound !. Enjoy yours,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have a Performer F with integrated fret board (That's how they sold them for a great price). It has a heck of a chop and lots of bass. Though playing it after my BRW which is brighter, it sounds more muddy than bassy. I like them both.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Tone ..... it's what we are all after. And there are no two instruments exactly alike even from the same maker when played in the same style by the same musician and setup the same. Close ... but no cigar. Anyway that's my excuse for owning more than one. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Good to have 2 different mandos that produce different tones.
    Better to have 3 different mandolins that produce different tones.

Best to have 4 different mandolins that produce different tones.

Bester to have 5 different mandolins that produce different tones.

Bestest to have 6 different mandolins that produce different tones.

I'm stuck there, but I'm assuming that it's most bestest to have 7 different mandolins that produce different tones.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pheffernan For This Useful Post:

I'm showing your post to my wife..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post

I'm stuck there, but I'm assuming that it's most bestest to have 7 different mandolins that produce different tones.
    I have so many different tones, now can I play any that are worthy of that difference. Great post Pheff.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

11. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post

That's if you want a different mandolin for each day of the week.

Now if you want a different mandolin each week ...
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Is this how you arrived at seven?

Darlin' you can't love one, Darlin' you can't love one, You can't love one and have any fun, Darlin' you can't love one.
    Darlin' you can't love two, Darlin' you can't love two, You can't love two and your little heart be true, Darlin' you can't love two.
    Darlin' you can't love three, Darlin' you can't love three, You can't love three and still be here with me, Darlin' you can't love three.
    Darlin' you can't love four, Darlin' you can't love four, You can't love foure and hanging round my front door, Darlin' you can't love four.
    Darlin' you can't love five, Darlin' you can't love five, You can't love five and get honey from my beehive, Darlin' you can't love five.
    Darlin' you can't love six, Darlin' you can't love six, You can't love six that kind of love just don't mix, Darlin' you can't love six.
    Riding that New River Train, Riding that New River Train, The same old train that brought me here is gonna carry me away again.

Even if they were built by the same luthier at the same time, just the difference in one being oval hole and the other being F hole would be enough of a difference in tone by itself. the other minor differences in the build would contribute as well, but the oval vs. f hole would be the biggest single factor.

I absolutely love my J Bovier A5, but I also have a couple of oval hole A models that I have been playing lately and they produce such a sweet tone. They are a joy to play.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Even if they were built by the same luthier at the same time, just the difference in one being oval hole and the other being F hole would be enough of a difference in tone by itself. the other minor differences in the build would contribute as well, but the oval vs. f hole would be the biggest single factor.

I absolutely love my J Bovier A5, but I also have a couple of oval hole A models that I have been playing lately and they produce such a sweet tone. They are a joy to play.
    I have played the Flatiron at a number of performances and jams since I picked it up. The consensus is that she is an exceptionally fine sounding mandolin. More than a few have told me that if I don't want it that they would like it.

Great fun having an f-hole and an oval. Two different critters, really. I love to cross genres with them just to prove that the rules are not pertinent.
    Mike Snyder

17. The following members say thank you to Mike Snyder for this post:

Hi Mike - I think that there are still a lot of folk who believe that an "F" style is ''better than'' an "A" style of the same make. I think that we could both prove 'em wrong. "Differences",yes,but ''better than'',not IMHO. I'd put my Ellis "A" style up against any mandolin on the planet & it would come out smiling - (but maybe not with me playing it !),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.