Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

Default AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

I found this while looking for other stuff on YouTube, looks like it's brand new as of yesterday... I know y'all are always saying how good Sierra Hull is, but I didn't realize just exactly how much of a genuine artist she is until I heard this...

Gospel song "People Get Ready", Sierra Hull on mandolin & vocals. I don't know who the bass player is, but I really like his playing too, fabulous, seems like the perfect match for the mandolin and voice. I can't stop listening to it!

(or direct link)

I like her singing on this one, the way the voice blends with the bass, sets the perfect mood for this song.

I also like the syncopation (is that the right word?) with some of the words, she changes it up a little but never loses the beat.

It's my new favorite version of that song, and I've heard dozens of other versions by many different artists (some famous, some not) going all the way back to the 1960s. All the versions are good in different ways, but I like the vibe and 'edge' that this one has.

(I like it so much I actually went and logged in to give it a thumbs-up and a comment, which I very seldom ever do - comments, that is.)

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: AWESOME "People Get Ready" cover (Sierra Hull)

I always like this song. Well done ....
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

4. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I must admit that I couldn't avert my eyes from the bass player - apparently he has some gadgets on his instrument I haven't seen before on a bass, such as drop tuners.

You say there's Sierra Hull in that video?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Ethan Jodziewicz on bass.
    http://www.ethanjodziewicz.com/
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Lovely.

10. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

"People Get Ready" is truly an iconic song, covered by many, and this is an outstanding one. It's easy to assume that it is a gospel song proper, but we ought to give credit to Curtis Mayfield who wrote it and the group he led, the Impressions who had a no. 3 R&B and no. 14 pop hit with it in 1965. Rolling Stone named it no 24 in their 500 greatest songs list. It is really an African American freedom song

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StuartE For This Useful Post:

Another great version of the song is by the late Eva Cassidy.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Royal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    I must admit that I couldn't avert my eyes from the bass player - ...
    Lol yeah me too, took me a while to realize that something was different about the bass itself...

... apparently he has some gadgets on his instrument I haven't seen before on a bass, such as drop tuners. ...
    Guess it's sort of the bass equivalent of Keith tuners although a different mechanism. To get a better look at it, I temporarily changed my browser from its usual low-bandwidth blurry 360p, to high definition (nice & sharp), then I zoomed the browser in for a closer look... definitely an interesting-looking contraption on the peghead.

I sure like his playing. I tend to naturally focus my ears on the bass sounds in most music anyway, especially when it has a bunch of interesting note runs like that guy's playing does.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Ethan Jodziewicz on bass.
    http://www.ethanjodziewicz.com/
    Thanks! I looked around that website some, turns out he's been playing music with Sierra Hull for a while now, guess I haven't been keeping up.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartE View Post
    "People Get Ready" is truly an iconic song, covered by many, and this is an outstanding one. It's easy to assume that it is a gospel song proper, but we ought to give credit to Curtis Mayfield who wrote it and the group he led, the Impressions who had a no. 3 R&B and no. 14 pop hit with it in 1965. Rolling Stone named it no 24 in their 500 greatest songs list. ...
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by StuartE View Post
    ... It is really an African American freedom song
    That's a good point too, I hadn't thought of it that way until you mentioned it, guess that's the beauty of great artistic works is that they can be applicable to and appreciated by a wide variety of people of differing backgrounds.

I noticed that the United Methodist hymnal (1989 edition) has a number of hymns, 30 to be exact, some of them rather mainstream, attributed as "Afro-American spirituals". Several of those seem likely candidates to have started out as "African American freedom songs" but they also make pretty good all-around general-purpose hymns.

Reminds me of Star Trek, each viewer has a slightly different angle of approach/interpretation (ranging from literal to allegory or whatever the right word is) but the topics are sort of universal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Royal View Post
    Another great version of the song is by the late Eva Cassidy.
    Yup, that's a good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    .... I can't stop listening to it!
    I prefer this a little more traditional gospel sounding, especially without the bass noise. I was able to stop listening. Ymmv of course.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

17. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I love it. Beautiful voice, tone, taste. It makes me happy.
    Mitch Lawyer

Collings MF5V, Schwab #101 5 string
    1918 Gibson A, 1937 Gibson T-50 tenor guitar
    Jones OM, Hums bowlback

19. The following members say thank you to mandocaster for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I prefer this a little more traditional gospel sounding, especially without the bass noise. I was able to stop listening. Ymmv of course.
    Of course everyone has different preferences, that's cool.

The very first time I heard this song was by The Chambers Brothers, yes I know they weren't actually the first to sing it, but this is what I heard:

(or direct link)

... I love the harmonies and I listened to that recording quite a bit, *but* I had to turn my treble control *all* the way down to try to rid the recording of the too-prominent snare drum (or whatever it is that makes that shrill high-pitched off-beat percussive noise that sounds like breaking glass on the 3-beat of each measure). I don't understand why the studio people decided to turn that up so high. That was actually what prompted me, years ago, to seek out alternative and newer versions of this song.

Unfortunately my high-frequency hearing has always been pretty keen, and it's the higher frequencies that are always the first to become irritating to me. I'm one of those people who can often hear the high-pitched mosquito-like whine from various cheap power-supply transformers (wall-brick chargers for various battery-powered things such as cell phones etc), 2 out of 3 of our house's dimmer switches, trad lightbulbs right before they burn out, etc, although I've managed to mentally "tune that out" to where it doesn't bother me. And no, I'm not young, far from it.

I would love to hear a proper remixed version of that original Chambers Brothers recording where they dialed-down the snare-drum percussion to a more tolerable level. Car stereo or home stereo tone controls can only do so much.

As to the Chamber Bros recorded mix, it might just be me, though. Never heard anyone else complain about it, although I haven't went around asking people about it either, so who knows.

I think a lot of what seems 'good', is pretty heavily dependent on which frequencies a particular listener's ears can hear.

In this household, I'm the high-frequency hearer who dislikes the shrill ear-piercing springtime bird sounds, whereas my wonderful significant other can't hear those at *all* (he has significant high-frequency hearing loss from years of workplace noise exposure)... but *his* pet-peeve is the low-pitched cooing sound of the very mellow doves in the trees out back (I can barely hear that at all, certainly doesn't bother me). He can also hear the distant low-pitched rumble of the freight train miles away, long before I can hear it, however I can hear the distant shrill high-pitched train whistle before he can.

I would think it would be tough trying to make decisions as to how to mix songs, when there are so many variables as to people's ears, what types of audio gear they're using (big headphones, car speakers, little bitty earbuds etc).

You know what would be cool, although I suppose not practical due to worries about theft of music, would be if each instrument's track was separately controllable by the consumer. Each listener could create their own custom mix. They could selectively turn up/down/off instruments and vocals to suit themselves. I've tried to do similar with equalizers but doesn't really work, maybe I'm doing it wrong or not using the right equipment (cheap stuff), dunno.

Yeah I know, I'm off-topic, but hey (FWIW) I'm the OP and personally I like off-topic tangents once in a while, that's how I learn new stuff.

21. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandocaster View Post
    ... It makes me happy.
    Me too.

I think that's a "low C extension" on Ethan's bass. Enables the E string to go down to C. A lot of orchestral bass players use them, because composers of late have taken to writing bass parts that go that low.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

In a just world, Sierra and Ethan's arrangement would be released as a single and eligible for Grammy awards in the folk and gospel categories. It's that good.

26. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

I think that's a "low C extension" on Ethan's bass. Enables the E string to go down to C. A lot of orchestral bass players use them, because composers of late have taken to writing bass parts that go that low.
    Thank you! Looks like you're right, I Googled for "low C extension" and the pics look nearly the same as the contraption in the video (minor variations between makers, apparently). Knowing the correct search phrase makes all the difference, I hadn't got anywhere with my earlier searches for "keith tuners for bass" lol (didn't know how else to describe it), but searching for "low c extension" pulled the info right up. Thanks again!

In a just world, Sierra and Ethan's arrangement would be released as a single and eligible for Grammy awards in the folk and gospel categories. It's that good.
    +1 (I agree completely).

I Googled for "low C extension" and the pics look nearly the same as the contraption in the video
    Interesting. I have been in the audience for orchestras all my life (and preferably on the side where basses and cellos are, 'cos that's where the groove is), but I have never yet seen this contraption live.

Monster capos on a fiddle! What next?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

29. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Interesting. I have been in the audience for orchestras all my life (and preferably on the side where basses and cellos are, 'cos that's where the groove is), but I have never yet seen this contraption live. ...
    From the reading I've done today, it looks like the type of orchestra bass one sees, depends on where one lives in the world.

Apparently the options are: 4-string bass with C extension, or 5 string bass with *no* extension.

Wikipedia says:

"In Britain, the USA and Canada, most professional orchestral players use four-string double basses with a C extension."
    Slightly contradicting Wikipedia's statement about UK orchestras, a bass website by Bill Bentgen says:

"... all three major London orchestras use 5 string basses."
    That site also says:

"... German orchestras use 5 string basses..."
    Thus, apparently, a person going to German orchestras or the "three major London orchestras" would see a 5 string bass with no extensions, rather than a 4 string bass with a C extension.

Mind you this is all just hearsay from today's preliminary internet search-engine results, as I've never been to an orchestra in my life, the only time I've ever seen a bass fiddle is when it's accompanying fiddle tunes at a jam or dance, so I'm clearly not an orchestral bass expert!

... Monster capos on a fiddle! What next?
    LOL! Yup, who'd have thunk it, capos on fiddles...

Sounds like good ammo to use at the next "are capos a proper respectable musical tool" debate...

This explains a lot, because 5 string basses are a common sight to me.

32. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Well, the extension concept isn't new, and there are mandolin-family instruments that use it, notably Ale Moller's Nordic mandola: https://silkwoodmusic.wordpress.com/...s-not-a-banjo/

34. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

the extension concept isn't new...
    ...it was, in the 17th century

36. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Well, the extension concept isn't new, and there are mandolin-family instruments that use it, notably Ale Moller's Nordic mandola: https://silkwoodmusic.wordpress.com/...s-not-a-banjo/
    Cool!

...it was, in the 17th century

Yikes!

My first thought was, I wonder how well it stays in tune.

Probably fun to play though.

Thanks to Google Image Search [1], I think I turned up the site your pic probably came from - Lynda Sayce's theorbo.com. Some interesting reading there. For instance, at the bottom of the information for players page there's a link to "Danger Signs":

"Upper pegbox coming off:
    Historical theorbos were usually constructed with a complicated joint fixing the upper pegbox to the extension, and the string tension helped to pull the joint together. Some modern theorbos, especially cheap instruments, may have a simple glued butt joint which can give way, especially if the pegbox is banged on a ceiling."
    Hm, can't imagine how that instrument could ever touch the ceiling...

------------
    Footnote:
    1. Anyway, about that image-search thing, on my PC with Chrome browser I right-click any image and select "Search Google for image". Or, on Android phone, I long-press the image until a menu comes up and then I tap "Search Google for this image". Thought I would mention it for those who don't know, which included me up until just a few months ago.

EDIT:
    Silly me, in this case there is an easier way to locate where the image came from, since it'd been hotlinked to this forum - just right-click it and select "Copy image address", which in this case clearly shows the domain name theorbo.com, then just go to that domain and look around, yup that looks like the right website. Typical of me to find the most complicated way to do things.
    Last edited by Jess L.; Aug-09-2017 at 11:41pm. Reason: Fixed duplicate link, and added postscript note.

Probably fun to play though.
    Yeah, and
    - fun to tune in mid-gig
    - fun to restring
    - fun to convince United Airlines to let you take it on board

...or, as Rob Paravonian once put it: there's no way to be cool when your instrument is larger than you.

39. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Yeah, and
    - fun to tune in mid-gig
    - fun to restring
    How about:
    - fun to re-fret (with the tied-on gut frets, of course), but with additional complications. That same website's players page has a link to a PDF called "Changing Frets" that says:

"How to refret a theorbo.
    Theorbos seem to require more frequent fretting adjustments than other kinds of lute, probably because the bass strings all pull on one side of the neck, plus the tension on the neck extension is constantly being altered as we retune our basses for different keys. ..."

- fun to convince United Airlines to let you take it on board
    Ooh yeah transportation, that would be an issue... it wouldn't even fit in a car... huh...

Maybe there's a folding version.

"... the bass strings all pull on one side of the neck, plus the tension on the neck extension is constantly being altered as we retune our basses for different keys. ..."
    It all resembles the rigging of a sailing ship - you kind of have to climb the mast for making adjustments. I'm not surprised if someone tells us to scrub the deck.

42. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Awesome groove! Lots of music for a duo! Love how she finger picks the instrumental part of the chorus.
    Sweet solos too!
    Thanks for posting!

44. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post: