Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reverse MAS?

Default Re: Reverse MAS?

Mike - Keep it & enjoy the dickens out of it !. All 'good' mandolins 'sound good' & that in itself can be an inspiration to play. Collings & Weber instruments are good in their own right,but the ones you specified won't be quite as good as your Silverangel,& i'd bet that you'd regret selling it as well,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Maybe you'll find yourself getting lost for a few hours in the tone alone
    This is the right metric. The only sensible thing is to own an instrument whose sound compels you to play. Ignore the name on the headstock. You might find more iinspiration elsewhere... even in a "downgrade" to a Collings.

4. The following members say thank you to Michael Neverisky for this post:

You have MAS. In your first post you stated what you would do if you sold it and freed up some money. You would buy more mandolins. That is MAS. Reverse MAS would be if you would try to not acquire another or more mandolins. I don't think such an illness exists. The other part of your post is something that has bothered menfor some time, the idea that that we shouldn't own something we're not worthy of. That my friend is Marxisum, from each in his excess to each in his need, a concept I oppose. If you can afford it you are " worthy" of it IMHO

6. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

When the cases in the corner accumulate to the point where I have to make an effort to play them all, I clear a few out. Reverse MAS, I guess. Makes me feel virtuous.

Then I spend the money on something new.

8. The following members say thank you to jdchapman for this post:

In high school I had a friend that sold his Mustang GT for a Nissan 240SX. But we are talking about mandolins....

Since mandolins are not ubiquitous like guitars, I've often thought the best mandolin is probably one I've never played. If I could get in a room with, say, 500 mandolins, and somehow I could spend time with them all, it's entirely possible that the "best one" (for me, my hands, ears, etc.) would be something I'd never expect.

I own a Collings, but it's entirely possible that out there somewhere is an Eastman, a Kentucky, a Mid Mo, or something I've never heard of that I would like better: but I will likely never come in contact with it. If that did happen, and I found an instrument that I genuinely liked better, I would not consider it reverse MAS or downgraded to get it. I would consider it common sense to get it.

10. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

To the OP, if that SA doesn't float your boat sell it and get something does. I'm not sure about MAS or reverse MAS or how a dollar value can be put on what you should be playing vs. your skill level IMO those 2 things don't matter. If you enjoy playing and it's your passion find a mando. you can't put down because of the tone and how it plays. I got lucky and it only took me 2 mandos to find it & I'll never sell it unless I stop playing. For the last year and I've been trying to find another mando. I'll like as much & I've bought and sold 2 more and test drove a few I guess thats MAS. Anyway don't let some clown at a Jam influence what type of mando. you play. I'd keep looking as it sounds like the SA isn't "the one" for you & if you downgrade and find "the one" let me know !

12. The following members say thank you to Loubrava for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

An instrument that is better than I am a player constantly encourages me to make better use of it through diligent practice. It is always there to reward my improvement and ready to spur me on to greater effort. Somewhat like a good friend... one that doesn't drink your beer..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

14. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

If everyone suddenly decided to only own instruments equal to their playing proficiency, the high end market would go into full meltdown.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post:

If we had to pass a proficiency test to move up in quality, Ellis would go broke.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

18. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

There are folks that buy and sell instruments to try and make a profit so if you do decide to sell it price it real high and some sucker, er I mean buyer will pay it and then you can become a dealer in buying and selling instruments...I have always wished that I could get back every mandolin that I sold in the past but what would I do with all of them?.. A work of art? Maybe but they are made to be played, so PLAY IT...

20. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

I'll say it again MAS is mandolin acqurisition syndrome. If you want, long for, or constantly think about getting another mandolin you have MAS, no matter if that move is considered upgrade or downgrade. Those terms are just what money it takes to acquire it, has nothing to do with your perceived "value" or your disease.

22. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Registered User mandolin breeze's Avatar

And don't forget the "excuse" that works well in my tiny head . . . a good mandolin is going to appreciate in value over the years, so I'm just making a good investment and have the added benefit of actually using and enjoying my "investment" while it appreciates in value. I think I'll name it MIS.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandolin breeze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandolin breeze View Post
    And don't forget the "excuse" that works well in my tiny head . . . a good mandolin is going to appreciate in value over the years, so I'm just making a good investment and have the added benefit of actually using and enjoying my "investment" while it appreciates in value. I think I'll name it MIS.
    I like that MIS,but in my case it would be musical investment syndrone. I own a variety of instrument that I really can't play but I mess around on them a little but I justify them as an investment, some or even worth a couple dollars more than I paid for them 10 or 12 years ago. If I can possibly live long enough they are going to make me some money.

26. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The solution is SAS (skill acquisition syndrome), aka "practising"
    And subsumed in just *MusicAS* ... if it makes music - in any way or manner - why try to justify further? In many areas of the world instruments are treated much like furniture (itself of course a highly meaningful object) and other special and revered objects. My family always had the en vogue piano in the front room, though they didn't play, visitors occasionally played. Musical instruments are a very special item, tool, object d'art, etc, and folks value them across the spectrum: from eminent mythologic icon to the merest implement to accompany dance. I'm only part Scand but my house is like you might find in some tribal outland; mine are like furniture - theyre all around awaiting use. Get a fiddle and a box and when folks come over make a cajun sound. Get a steel guitar and as David Lindley says, "get you an amp..." make some fun!

*I should say, the rustic feel is restricted to only a small part of the house ; the rest of it is much more gentile, as my wife prefers
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-06-2017 at 3:05pm.

28. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

After looking at the images on the back of those Silverangels, I'd be less worried about being a newbie in a jam and more worried about God thinking my fingers were unworthy to touch it or that if I had any bad thought the Mandolin would channel them straight to God's ear if I was holding it.

Just have fun with it, it's a beautiful instrument. You don't need to be a pro to be worthy of it. And like everyone else keeps saying, keep playing.

30. The following members say thank you to Sothoth for this post:

MDS:LSE (Mandolin Divestment Syndrome: Low Self-Esteem)

May we all end up with better mandolins than we deserve, and work hard at improving our skills until we do deserve them (at which point it's time to get a better one).
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post: