Thread: Repertoire Suggestions for this Combination of Instruments?

Default Repertoire Suggestions for this Combination of Instruments?

I was recently in a trio involving mandolin, guitar, and carillon. I wonder whether this is a first. I know that guitar and carillon have performed together before, but not aware of mandolin and carillon together. If you know of others who have been involved in any mandolin and carillon collaborations, please let me know.

Below are three pieces that we performed together. The challenge was balance, as we performed in a bell tower and the instruments were miced and the mix was fed into a church sanctuary 4 stories below. There are spots where the mando is too loud.

We will be performing a full concert with this trio at Longwood Gardens (outside of Philly) this fall.

Any recommendations for repertoire that you have would be appreciated. As you can tell by the repertoire below, we are open to doing an eclectic mix.

Default Re: Repertoire Suggestions for this Combination of Instruments?

- - - Updated - - -

I would imagine that it would be very difficult to do a tour with that trio.

How do you ever tune to those bells? It seems like there are multiple overtones.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

When the Sting movie came out and the song had gotten totally inescapable on radio and everywhere I remember the carrillon player at the university I was attending playing Scott Joplin's the Entertainer one day at noon.

6. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Yes the overtones are an really pronounced. Fortunately for tuning, the fundamental tones (at least on this carillon) are perfectly tuned to A440, so using a tuner for mando and guitar was the easy solution.

Given the overtones, however, playing ragtime or any other music with a lot of chromaticism results in some pretty intense dissonance (at least up close to the bells). The further away you go from the bells you go, the less that's an issue.

You may find some wire harp repertoire inspiring. Some, like "Bells of Cork/Dusty Miller" i play on hammered dulcimer to provide even more overtones..

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/th...nd/id296320911
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-03-2017 at 12:06pm.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Very nice! This could be a possibility...Thanks.

Nice job, Mark. Sounds really different and pleasing. I'll keep an eye out for your Longwood concert and if we can make it, we'll be there.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

12. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Cool, yeah, don't know how varied you go but I love Airs on Fingal, Ms Heymann's compositions Balitorum and the others. You can get medieval with your bells, two stringed instruments handling the contrapuntalisms etc., would be cool
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-04-2017 at 1:04am.

14. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Good to hear from you, Bob! Our concert at Longwood Gardens is Sept. 24 (Sunday) at 12:00 noon.

Joe mentioned he spoke with you re: pocket mandolins. Very interesting!

Very best,

Mark

16. The following members say thank you to mlinkins for this post: