Thread: Early '70s Alvarez A700

Default Early '70s Alvarez A700

I've decided to sell my early '70s Alvarez A700. I searched for instruments that actually sold and couldn't find any. Everything I found was apparently overpriced. I'm interested in what the Café members might think a realistic price would be. The instrument is in great shape, plays easy and has the original hard case. This was the least expensive f-style model and has a pressed solid top with laminated b&s. Thanks for reading this post.

Default Re: Early '70s Alvarez A700

I know nothing about early imports, but if I were buying what is a starter mandolin, the world is full of new instruments that would likely be leaps and bounds better. I'd look for something like a The Loar with similar build characteristics, then discount for what that would be used, then discount again.

Or find some poor person who would love an instrument and give it to them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I think there is actually a good market for these, maybe not among mandolin players, but among guitar players who love the 70's made in Japan, so-called "lawsuit" era guitars. Many of the old Alvarez, Aria, Takamine, etc., were pretty good copies of the USA equivalent costing 4 or 5 times as much, back in the day. They were able to establish a large fanbase back then that extends today with used sales on eBay. I say this as a guitar player who owns several of these lawsuit era guitars.

I would say the market is $350-450 for a quick sale, IMHO. You can check on eBay and see people ask twice that and they don't sell very quickly.

And, yes, I agree with Brick, you can get more sound with a modern Chinese mandolin for the same money, but I think there is a nostalgia to old Alvarez, Ibanez, Aria, etc. mandolins for those of us who grew up in that era.....

Jeff Mando, you were spot on. I sold the mandolin to the first person I spoke to about it and settled on $400. Thanks for your's and Brick's responses to my question.

5. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

That seems pretty fair to both parties, I would not take less than eight for mine, and at one point I was offered 1500! Should have taken it but, it was my first "decent" mandolin (carved top anyway) and a well respected luthier has been interested in how the sound has matured.
    Anyway there's some guy looking to get 850 for one out there, I think he's going to be lucky with anything over five. So would I probably!
    Glad you turned it and feel good about the sale, as long as there are no hard feelings along the line, it's all good.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Some of those 70's "lawsuit" instruments were actually decent! I played some guitars modeled after Martins and they were were pretty darn good for the cash! All solid wood, and pretty much flawless.. Nothin wrong with em in my view, the mandolins weren't too bad either that I've seen and played. They could be reworked some and made better with re-graduations and set ups. Nothing to frown on I think for the money. I don't own any except an old 70's Ibanez F-5 that was my grandads, he sanded down the top rather poorly but was decent, it needs help now like a neck set and fretjob etc..Actually it was out in California in the early 80's and Ronnie McCoury actually played it on his first gig with his dad at the time. My Great Uncle Dick Smith my grandads brother was the banjoist for Del and the Dixie Pals at the time. So Ronnie played it on his first gig back then. So thats pretty Kool, I bet Ronnie still remembers cause he paled around with my 2 uncles at the time as they were the same age, I believe my Uncle Mike Smith said Ronnie played Rawhide on it? I'll always keep that mandolin, It does need some serious restoration but it holds some sentimental value to me anyway

I'm going to replace the Alvarez with a Kentucky KM950. I needed a bigger voice.

The lawsuit Ibanez Les Paul a friend had at the time was better than what Gibson was putting out.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Jim 

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I'm a big fan of 70's mij mandolins especially ibanez
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

12. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

I confess I might pay a bunch more for old mojo. I played a 70s Alvarez dreadnaught that was exceptional once. It's owner paid $250 for it. I'd pay around $800 for it today and think I got a deal. Really, I've played many a D 28 that wasn't as good.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I was selling those back then, and they were great values, some of the plywood ones were surprising.
    Yamaha FG-160's were the real sleepers IMHO, if I'd been a road guy and had an instrument suffer a mischief. I'd have replaced it with one of them in a heartbeat, they were consistent as you could ask for, maybe not perfect but, damned good!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Here is a link to some stories behind the "Lawsuit" instruments. It also provides some nice back round information. https://reverb.com/news/the-true-sto...-gear-lawsuits
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I have a 1972 Kasuga guitar made in Japan and I had the peg head inlaid with "CF Martin" logo`s like the D-45`s and a lot of people think it is the real deal....I can`t play guitar anymore due to arthritis and didn`t give a thought about it being worth as much as you folks are suggesting....I took it out of the case last week after it has been there for over a year and believe it or not it was in tune, this is the only Martin like guitar that I have seen where you didn`t have to flatten the B string to get it to intonate correctly when making a D or E chord...Oh yeah I paid a whopping $98 for it, a case, a capo a strap and two sets of Martin guitar strings...a lot of people that used to come to my house for practice and jam sessions always wanted to play it instead of there Martins...

No lies either...Willie

17. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Those were the days Willie!
    Timothy F. Lewis