Thread: Kentucky KM-300 v. Mandobird?

Default Kentucky KM-300 v. Mandobird?

Any thoughts on playability, tone, build quality on the Kentucky KM-300 v. an Epi Mandobird? I may start using electric mandolin in my swing band (and keep from dragging my Kimble to gigs).

Any other solid-body e-mandos out there I should consider if I don't want to drop more than $500 or so on an instrument?

Default Re: Kentucky KM-300 v. Mandobird?

I've had better luck with the Kentucky, but you're going to want to swap out the pickup on either of them because the E string is rather dead. It's the hard part of emando design due to short length and thin metal strings that don't pick-up well. I bought a Bill Lawrence pickup and it was a very easy changeover. Fit perfectly and sounds pretty good. I got rid of the cheap amp used in this sample. https://youtu.be/QDM6z0xiV6Y

3. The following members say thank you to Elliot Luber for this post:

lenf12 

I am definitely not a fan of the Mandobird shape but the KM-300e is pretty sexy. +1 Santiago on the pickup upgrade.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I like both but the Kentucky feels bigger so it kind of plays better, I have done all the setups myself. I enjoy playing both plus others I have, never hurts to upgrade the pickup, I've got a few Seymour Duncan pickups I still need to install. I like my fender mandostrat also, and just recently got a Eastwood mandocaster 8 string I'm having fun with, these are some if my electric one'sClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1492554005891.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	159550
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I like the mandobird 4, but also recommend swapping pickups.
    There's one near me listed on CL for $200. Kentucky KM-300 regularly go for $300. If you're replacing pickup anyhow, I think whichever you like the looks and feel of best works

Recently saw Asleep at the Wheel, and one of the fiddle players played a Kentucky Km-300 on some songs. I was surprised on well it sounded.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Either can get you what you want. I own a Mandobird IV that I enjoy and play lead on periodically in our praise band. Agree the pickup could be better, but my e string tone isn't that bad, so I haven't done it yet. Usually run it through a Red Dirt Road overdrive pedal and through a Roland Cube 30w solid state amp. Nice tonal spectrum available...
    Chuck

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Nice stable, Darryl.

David, I found the stock lipstick on the Kentucky a bit hot/noisy; putting on a Wilde LS45 was a big fix. So far the stock p/u on the Mandobird IV has been fine, and I like the feel in my hands more than the Kentucky. The Epi immediately felt better to me for balance, & fit/finish. I confess the Almuse upgrades for the 'bird have my attention for down the road.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

10. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Check out the Eastwood Mandocaster. It's like a mini 8 string Fender Telecaster. I have one and simply love it. The build quality is excellent and it sounds terrific. There are pickup upgrades available after market but I've never felt the need. If you tweak your amp settings you can actually get a decent acoustic tone, which is how I used mine in an Irish band. They show up from time in the classifieds.

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/mandocaster
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

FWIW, you may want to compare the bridges between the two. IMO, the Epi is far and away a superior bridge.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Check out the Eastwood Mandocaster. It's like a mini 8 string Fender Telecaster. I have one and simply love it. The build quality is excellent and it sounds terrific. There are pickup upgrades available after market but I've never felt the need. If you tweak your amp settings you can actually get a decent acoustic tone, which is how I used mine in an Irish band. They show up from time in the classifieds.

https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/mandocaster
    They are nice. I actually prefer the 4 string Mandostang over the 8 string mandocaster.
    https://eastwoodguitars.com/products...lis-mandostang

If you can swing the extra $100 to go from the Kentucky to the Eastwood, I'd do that
    Last edited by colorado_al; Jul-30-2017 at 9:03pm.

Wow, great info! Thanks everyone

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    They are nice. I actually prefer the 4 string Mandostang over the 8 string mandocaster.
    https://eastwoodguitars.com/products...lis-mandostang

If you can swing the extra $100 to go from the Kentucky to the Eastwood, I'd do that
    With an 8 string, you always have the option of just stringing it with four, but not vice versa. I"ve recently been using an octave mandolin with 4 strings as a tenor guitar and LOVE it. I haven't tried stringing my Mandocaster with 4 but I'd imagine it would work.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    With an 8 string, you always have the option of just stringing it with four, but not vice versa. I"ve recently been using an octave mandolin with 4 strings as a tenor guitar and LOVE it. I haven't tried stringing my Mandocaster with 4 but I'd imagine it would work.
    Very true. Just make sure the 8 string has an adjustable neck since you'll have only half the tension of 8 strings

Eastwood Mandocaster for $300
    https://reverb.com/item/2260338-east...ter-black-mint

Eastwood Mandostang for $340
    https://reverb.com/item/1244283-east...dostang-cherry

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I got my mandoblaster used for sub $500. Not sure how it compares but it is well built and sounds nice.