Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to mandolin

Default New to mandolin

I decided to pick up mandolin recently because I want to play classical and baroque music on a stringed instrument. Lutes are too expensive at the moment. Anyways I was wondering where to start music wise. I can't seem to find a teacher but ill keep looking. Books or audio recommendations are mostly what I'm looking for.

Default Re: New to mandolin

Do you read music? If the sound of the lute is what you like, you can always rent. The mandolin is not a small lute
    What is your musical background? Did you buy your first mandolin yet.
    I am sure many of the Cafe member will revert to you with lots of info and material.
    Here is a good place to start: http://www.mandoisland.de/eng_index.html
    If you read music you'll find lots of material for free. Just do a google search for mandolin methods.
    Here is another great resource: http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:For_mandolin
    Also do a search on the mandolin cafe
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Just barely. And no renting where I am to be honest. I know it is not a small lute but I like the tone and how much classical music there is for it. My musical background is years of drumline, and tabla. Then a couple years ago I played six string fretless electric bass. I did! Its a rover rm-35s.

Check the links I sent you. Most if not all the mandolin methods start with a small part of music theory. Once you start reading you'll advance fast. If you really want to play classical music you have to learn to read notation.
    The rover 35s, should have a solid spruce top. If it has been set up and is easy to play it will make a good instrument to start with.
    Tabs are available for mandolin, but not for classical music.
    Best of luck
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

It has been set up I think. I'm probably going to have to tweak it myself. But until I figure out how to take the tailpiece off I'm stuck with these old strings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xav88 View Post
    But until I figure out how to take the tailpiece off I'm stuck with these old strings.
    Not immediately obvious, but if it’s like every other Rover I’ve seen, the tailpiece cover slide toward the bottom, end pin direction, of the instrument. It might seem like it’s stuck, but it’s not. Slide the cover in the direction from headstock to end pin. Some use bare fingers, but if it’s sticky some will use a coin or piece of leather to avoid cutting your finger. Me, I use a small plastic hammer and give it a few light taps. Once the cover slides off, the rest will be obvious.

And it’s been discussed enough here that a search should bring up many threads if my explanation isn’t clear.

Blog Entries

Welcome XAV88. Hany has given you some good links for starting out with classical. Should you want to try out folky stuff (bluegrass, old timey, etc.) try out Baron Collins-Hill at mandolessons.com. He's got a ton of beginner lessons and tunes for free there.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

And, if you want to play some nice beginner's pieces, you can stop over at Astute Music and download First Images.
    https://www.astute-music.com/store/p..._Stephens.html
    It isn't free, but well worth the 8 dollars.
    It has 8 easy pieces composed or arranged by Alison Stephens and Hugh Boyde.

Like for example the Little Waltz,played with downstrokes only:

Or the traditional The Ash Grove, arranged as a satisfying self-contained solo piece.

Thank you everyone! I think I will buy those pieces! I'll let everyone know how setting this up works out.

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    And, if you want to play some nice beginner's pieces, you can stop over at Astute Music and download First Images.
    https://www.astute-music.com/store/p..._Stephens.html
    It isn't free, but well worth the 8 dollars.
    It has 8 easy pieces composed or arranged by Alison Stephens and Hugh Boyde.

Like for example the Little Waltz,played with downstrokes only:

Or the traditional The Ash Grove, arranged as a satisfying self-contained solo piece.
    By the way this is exactly what I am looking for!

That's a nice arrangement of the Ashgrove played well.

Sadly for such a pretty tune the Ash Grove is associated with rugby songs in the UK. Difficult to get out of your head while playing and you'd be taking a risk playing it in a pub.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Blog Entries

Well "we're stealin it back" ........ (I'm now feeling bloated, bombastic & pompus having quoted Bono )

I'm a big fan of the Astute music books. Their tutors series are excellent
    https://www.astute-music.com/store/c...6_studies.html
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Me too, I'm a big fan of the mandolin sheet music, you can download at Astute Music.
    I have the 15 studies, which are linked in your post, but they are still a little too advanced for me.
    My favorite e-book so far is "Reflections" by Barbara Pommerenke-Steel.
    It contains 6 nice lower intermediate pieces, like this one, for example:

I ordered first images in paper form. So Ill let you know when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by xav88 View Post
    I can't seem to find a teacher but ill keep looking.
    If you tell us where you are geographically, perhaps someone might know a teacher in your area.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Oh bay city michigan

A good book to help start to read music notation and I mean really good, is Reading Standard music notation for Mandolin and Fiddle by Joe Carr, comes with a CD as well. It teaches the modern method of reading music.

Go to this website http://artistworks.com/join, click Mandolin, and then select the tutor Caterina Lichtenberg, she teaches Classical Mandolin, through Mike Marshalls website. Very good value from a world class classical mandolin player, that teaches as well!

Dave
    2014 APC 154C

The reviews I read about that basically pointed out that if you aren't already a sight reader you're sol.

Do you mean the book Reading Standard music notation? If it is, yes I've read the reviews for it as well, stating that. I own the book and would ignore them. The first lessons teach you to recognise by site reading the open strings with very basic exercises written in quarter notes in standard timing. For example exercise one maybe 4 bars of open 1st course ( E strings ). Your go on to learn the other courses the same way. Then their will be an exercise mixing all four open courses, to develop your right hand technique. It then moves onto 2nd and 5th fret on the 2nd and 3rd courses with various exercises. You then start to mix doing fretted notes with open string exercises, which then starts to develop your left hand technique. When working in the C major key you don't even learn a song. I fail to see how this is difficult.

True it could maybe be a bit more progressive, but he's purposely not doing that, as he would rather you don't move past an exercise in C major key if you are at all hesitant due to not knowing the written notation, or poor technique. He does emphasise this. Practice practice practice. In this respect the book is a bit old school and reminds me of my trombone lessons at school all that time ago. Where my music teacher taught really easy exercises, then hard, then easy, which is really how this book seems to work.
    2014 APC 154C

+1 to both of Dave1066's suggestions. Actually for me the best bit about Carr's book is the first page intro: basically saying learn which finger/fret corresponds to each written note, without worrying what note (A, Eb whatever) it is. As a total beginner on Mandolin (ex bass guitarist)that approach was a revelation to me. I also love Allan Alexander's books of Renaissance / medieval pieces arranged for Mandolin: almost all are easy pieces which are often rather beautiful and great practice for sight reading.

When I decided to take up Mandolin about 10 months ago, I immediately subscribed to Caterina Lichtenberg's Classical Mandolin course on Artistworks, on the basis that I wanted to learn good technique from the very start. I highly recommend the course, especially if like me there are no teachers anywhere near you. I am also now trying my hand at some simple non-Classical music (ITM/ Scottish mostly) but the thorough grounding I am getting from the course applies across the board.

Oh and of course Mandolin Cafe is absolutely indispensable!
    "To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable". Beethoven

Eastman MD404
    Angara e D'Isanto 1895 Bowlback
    Eastman MD505 CC
    Paul Hathway Mandocello
    Bucketful of picks...still looking for the Magic one 🦄

21. The following members say thank you to fumblefour for this post:

People are often mistaken when they refer to "sight reading." Here is the definition: "to sing or play (music in a printed or written form) without previous preparation"

Only some well-practiced musicians can actually sight-read. Many years ago I was at an artists community and at breakfast there was a string quartet sight reading one of the Mozart piano quartets. It was amazing to me that these musicians could play this as well as they did from the sheet music.

Most of us mortal merely read the notation and with practice can play it, at first slowly, then closer to an acceptable tempo. It takes years to be able to sight-read.

I would find it amazing that Joe Car would write a book teaching to read standard notation and expect the student to sight read. Once you can truly sight-read you would not read any such book.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Oh! That makes sense! Well Ill keep working out of mandolin method book 1 by rich delgrosso and when my mandolin for dummies book comes in Ill use that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    People are often mistaken when they refer to "sight reading." Here is the definition: "to sing or play (music in a printed or written form) without previous preparation"

Only some well-practiced musicians can actually sight-read. Many years ago I was at an artists community and at breakfast there was a string quartet sight reading one of the Mozart piano quartets. It was amazing to me that these musicians could play this as well as they did from the sheet music.

Most of us mortal merely read the notation and with practice can play it, at first slowly, then closer to an acceptable tempo. It takes years to be able to sight-read.

I would find it amazing that Joe Car would write a book teaching to read standard notation and expect the student to sight read. Once you can truly sight-read you would not read any such book.
    Joe Carr according to your definition ( which is correct ) does not expect students ( beginners ) to be competent sight readers, before owning the book, that would be pointless. If you owned the book and looked at the first exercises in C Major key, then that would be obvious. He gives people all the relevant information to be able to learn to read music, in a well organised and structured manor. It's a very good book.

The discrepancy is the use of the term "sight reading", which most folks mix up with being able to "read music". Myself included! So instead of trying to bring into repute a publication, because of somebodies misuse of a term, try pointing the misguided person in the correct direction, instead of marring a publication.

Good luck xav88, look forward to hearing you hear one day
    Last edited by Dave1066; Jul-31-2017 at 3:15pm.
    2014 APC 154C

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1066 View Post
    The discrepancy is the use of the term "sight reading", which most folks mix up with being able to "read music". Myself included! So instead of trying to bring into repute a publication, because of somebodies misuse of a term, try pointing the misguided person in the correct direction, instead of marring a publication.
    I just reread my post and it was not my intention to criticize Joe's book but I meant to say that I doubted Joe would have meant anyone needed to sight read in order to learn to read. I certainly did not realize that my comment came across as a criticism of the book but I meant it to be a criticism of the Amazon reviewer.

So sorry for how my comment sounded.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Well guys i ordered mandolin for dummies. Carrs book will be next but once I get one of the first images songs done or something out of one of my books ill put it on here if youd like.