Thread: Washburn M5s Mandolin Truss Rod Tool

Default Washburn M5s Mandolin Truss Rod Tool

Hey folks, I got a Washburn Mandolin from the 70's as a gift. The action is way too high and I need to adjust it but instead of an allen wrench hole, there is a 1/4 inch nut that adjusts the truss rod. A regular socket will not work because of the small clearance. Can anybody give me a link to a tool that might fit? Any tips?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20179667_1351968938231866_1467387323_n.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	159249

Default Re: Washburn M5s Mandolin Truss Rod Tool

First remember the truss rod does NOT adjust action, it ONLY adjusts the relief in the neck. If it is off it does have an effect on the action, but only use it to adjust the relief. That being said you may try a , guessing here, 1/4" box wrench or whatever wrench fits it. I have use them before to adjust a truss rod. A nut driver can also be used, they are not as thick as a socket.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Default Re: Washburn M5s Mandolin Truss Rod Tool

These are used on some guitars. A thin walled socked usualy, but not always works. As Pops1 said the truss rod adjusts the relief (degree of curvature of the neck). The nut hight, bridge hight and angle of the neck all play a role in the action.