Thread: TKD vs Eastman vs other?

Default TKD vs Eastman vs other?

Hi there,

I've been a mandolin player for about 6 years now, and I still have the same mandolin I started out with (a Savannah SF-100), and I'm looking to upgrade now that I am getting to a more advanced level.

I'm looking to buy something under $1300, and I was looking at both the Eastman MD 515 or the occasional MD 815 in the classifieds, but I also see these "TKD" mandolins from themandoshop that don't look too bad, although there's not much info on them... any thoughts? I'm open to other suggestions as well, looking for an F style.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: TKD vs Eastman vs other?

I'd go for a Kentucky (KM-1000), a Loar LM-600 or 700, or an Eastman, in that order.

The only discussion of TKD mandolins I can find on the Cafe (or really online anywhere except for mandoshop advertising) is this one:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...(TheMandoShop)

Good luck!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

After taking the traditional route with Kentucky, Eastman, Collings, Rogue, Trinity College, and Weber I decided to work "outside the box". I ordered a custom built mandola from Keith Coleman, Luthier in Albuquerque, NM, virtually unknown here in the Burgh. He built me an instrument that is beautiful and plays very easy with great tone (and loud).
    I am very glad I did as I have not played or heard an Asian made that sounds or plays as well for two or three times the price of my Coleman. He builds a great instrument within your price perimeters.
    Do not be afraid to try alternatives to the norm. I'm glad I reached out to Mr. Coleman and will most likely have him build me a jazzer in the future.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

4. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely take a look at Keith.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I would check out J Bovier. I am very happy with mine, it is better than my the Loar 600 , but my 600 is a good mandolin
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

7. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

I have seen and played only one TKD F style mandolin. It was decent but thought it nothing special and it was not in the same class as a Kentucky 1050 I had. One thing to consider is resale even if you think it will be a long term purchase. I think Eastman and Kentucky would be easier to sell than a TKD or some of the lesser know brands. Bovier (have not played one) gets good reviews here but they started out being made ion Korea then China and the quality of is instruments seems to be better the last couple of years. So I would be looking at Kentucky, Eastman, Bovier or possibly Loar 600 or 700 mandolins. You might also keep your eye out for a used mandolin from a small builder like Howard 'Sonny' Morris from Oregon.

Blog Entries

In that price range, the ones I have had in my hands that I liked best of all were Kentucky KM-1000/1050 and 1500's (used). Built right, thin finish, looked good, sounded good, and played well. Also tend to hold a decent value.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Your budget will buy you an outstanding used A style. I've been very tempted by the Kentucky master built models, until I play them along side the A styles by the likes of Weber, Northfield, Silverangel, etc.

If you must have a scroll, the Kentuckys are the best I've played.

How did you ever last six years with the Savannah?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Your budget will buy you an outstanding used A style. I've been very tempted by the Kentucky master built models, until I play them along side the A styles by the likes of Weber, Northfield, Silverangel, etc.

If you must have a scroll, the Kentuckys are the best I've played.

How did you ever last six years with the Savannah?
    Hahah I make do, it's definitely time for an upgrade though. Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

Check out the J Boviers.
    Mine is better than the other imports I have played by a solid margin.
    It has a nice woody chop, thick bell like trebles, and plays like butter.

The higher end Kentuckys are really nice too.
    They are good bluegrass mandolins.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

I've had an Eastman MD315 for about a year, and I'm still happy with it. It needs heavier strings to really sound good, but I have no desire to upgrade anytime soon.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Blog Entries

As is more common than not, we are way down the road talking about arch tops, As or Fs, before we have determined what kind of music the OP is considering and whether a flat top might be perfect.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

15. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I would check out J Bovier. I am very happy with mine, it is better than my the Loar 600 , but my 600 is a good mandolin
    I am with Darryl. I have the J Bovier F5T and it is an outstanding mandolin with a great set up and voicing done personally by Jeff Cowherd. I do find the Mando Shop's TDK instruments very attractive, as I have purchased an instrument with a set up from him in the past, and I found him to be equally professional. I would put confidence in both of these luthiers.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I will also put in a good word for J Bovier. My 2013 A5 is not just good, it's outstanding. It just gets better all the time. I don't know much about TKD. The only thing I have to say is that The Mando Shop has received some bad press here on the Cafe for some questionable posting practices and it's for that reason I would never deal with them. There have been several people who have had good dealings with Kyle Dunn, but there are plenty of people who claim they have been strongly pushed into giving them good reviews on the Cafe. If his shop and products are good then that should speak for itself and he need not resort to some of the practices he has done.

No such controversy from Jeff Cowherd of J Bovier. Excellent product and first rate person to deal with.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin