Thread: Abalone tuner buttons for mandolin keys

Default Abalone tuner buttons for mandolin keys

A few years ago I saw these and I would like to purchase some. I did a google search for abalone tuner buttons and found Siminoff's site but they told me they no longer had them (since Roger has retired I guess). Does anyone here know of a supplier for these?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Abalone tuner buttons for mandolin keys

Quote Originally Posted by GTison View Post
    A few years ago I saw these and I would like to purchase some. I did a google search for abalone tuner buttons and found Siminoff's site but they told me they no longer had them (since Roger has retired I guess). Does anyone here know of a supplier for these?
    No but if you find some please let me know! I'd love a set. Years ago my cousin who is a great artist tried to make me some, they looked perfect but when he went to drill em out they blew apart..

The ones Roger offered were laminated BTW.
    You may want to ask Cedros (in Germany), if they would custom make a set from abalone:http://www.cedros.org/start_englisch...set_start.html

I wonder if Roger's buttons were made from Abalam?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here's someone (out of stock right now) selling buttons in Australia. I know nothing about the company selling them.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Can you even ship these internationally anymore?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Here is some confusing information regarding that. It looks like White Abalone has an issue. There are other Abalone that aren't covered.

http://acousticmusic.org/research/en...cites-and-esa/
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Mandolin & Mandola maker

You can ship shell internationally, but it is difficult to ship into or out of the USA. Any other country, so long as it is not listed on CITES should be no problem. If the USA is involved you need to get an import/export permit, fill out a wildlife form, and it needs to imported via certain ports of entry. Usually the cost involved is far more than what the shell is worth, so imports and exports of small quantities of shell to the USA has effectively ceased. The link above to an Australian parts supplier is news to me. Looks like their stuff is imported from Vietnam. The phone number is Australian so they must have something in Australia.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

The site in Australia does have those on the webpage. But it also says no phone or internet orders. I believe I already saw that one. I don't think Siminoff's were abalam. His website says all laminated abalone. Years ago I saw a set that did not have the black in the middle lamination. The man in Vietnam might be able to make a set but I don't know the dimensions of key buttons.

but that is the look

Quote Originally Posted by GTison View Post
    The site in Australia does have those on the webpage. But it also says no phone or internet orders. I believe I already saw that one. I don't think Siminoff's were abalam. His website says all laminated abalone. Years ago I saw a set that did not have the black in the middle lamination. The man in Vietnam might be able to make a set but I don't know the dimensions of key buttons.
    buttons: 13x7 mms; shaft: 2.9x2.9x11.5 mms

12. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

From GTison - " But it also says no phone or internet orders...". It actually says ''no phone or E-MAIL orders''. An order placed via his website would be an Internet order. However,there's no detail regading the size of the buttons or the tuner shaft hole type ie. square or 2 'flats'. 'Abalam is laminated Abalone,but i think it only comes in thin sheets,so Roger Siminoff's tuner buttons must have been made from laminated shell in order to be thick enough to make tuner buttons.

I think that anybody wanting a set of buttons would need some detailed info.before placing an order,or,be able to send a similar one out to be 'copied'.

The website's a bit baffling. If you click on an item,it throws up a page that says - "STATUS - NOW AVAILABLE - EMAIL OR PHONE FOR FURTHER INFORMATION ' which rather contradicts the original statement ???. There doesn't seem to be an on line ordering page,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Looks to me like it is an ebay store with a separate web page. Can't order via email or phone, but can buy via ebay.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

What do you get when you cross an abalone with a crocodile?

a croc - a -baloney

Scored me a set just the other day! Now how to get them on some tuners that fit my mandolin. These came from Siminoff's "yard sale". They are made for Gotoh tuners. This is an 2002 Gibson, so it has the older Schallers. Now I wonder if a set of Gotohs would be a drop in fit? Roger says epoxy these to the shaft that they are a bit fragile. So I was thinking of changing out the machines totally if the mounting is permanent.

The spacing should be the same, the bushings may or may not be the same size. The length of the shaft holding the tuner buttons should be long enough and a few of the screw holes may need to be re-drilled. I could check the screw placement but the only Gotoh's I have right now are worm over.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Never seen such a thing, but will still comment! If the (brittle, laminar) shell is actually laminated, it could be strong enough to take concentrated stress, like screws, shoulders or corners, but in that these parts are extremely hard to get, I’d definitely seat it in epoxy and avoid any stress concentrators. Treat it like glass.

There was a time when you bought a set of Waverly machines with abalone buttons that they would include an extra in the set as a spare. I have a few leftover sitting in a drawer still new in the box.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.