Thread: Polytone tuners.

Default Polytone tuners.

I have 2 Red Snark tuners & 1 Polytone tuner. I use the PT for my Weber. I used the PT yesterday,switched it on & the display was zipping up & down between 'notes' like a rabbit on rollerskates !. Why would it do that,no note had been played ?. It did the same when i removed it from the mandolin.

My 'Snarks' display is totally stable until it's on the mandolin & a note is played. Has anybody else noticed the same thing with a PT tuner ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: Polytone tuners.

Polytune? Does it need a new battery?

Probabaly needs reset or a new battery.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Yep, new battery. Mine did this.

Blog Entries

+1 New battery.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Sometimes I just take the battery out and put it back in and it works normal again.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I agree - take the battery out, count to ten and put it back in again. If it's zipping up and down, it's clearly not flat but it is digital and so it's likely to get confused. Turning a digital device's power off usually works.

We have a PVR which goes haywire from time to time and pulling the plug for a few seconds has never yet failed to work.

P.S. It sometimes even works with computers

"Tuner reboot," eh?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Hi guys - Thanks for the replies,but the battery is only a few weeks old. The display clarity is 100%. Yesterday & had a look at the way it functions. There are 2 small buttons onthe right hand side of the tuner. If you press the lower one for 5 seconds,it displays a steady G note = no zipping up & down.

The tuner functions ok,but the other thing i really dislike,is the lack of flexibility in it's placement. If you look at this YouTube clip of it being used,the guy playing the guitar says it all - you can only see it if you place it one way,on the part of the headstock furthest away from you. The Snarks fit ''anywhere'' & you can turn them around so that you can see the display. IMHO,the PT is poorly designed in that aspect.

At over twice the UK cost of a Red Snark,it's not good value & as i've said before re. the PT,if i use my Snark to tune up & check my mandolin with the PT,it's spot on,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

For me it's not a problem, I clip it on at an angle and can see it quite well. I like the fact that it fits in my case, I would have a problem putting a snark in my case. So a trade off on compact size and accuracy for the ability to spin the tuner around when it is clamped anywhere. We have a couple of snarks, but I never use them opting for the Polytune.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

1) It is a digital device. If the battery voltage tanks you may still get a bright display but the critical voltages for the internal processes are different and they may simply refuse to operate correctly. So - brand new battery, first, of a reputable make.

2) If you still have problems after a new battery - contact TC Electronic. They stand by their products so if it is faulty they will replace it (or the retailer will).

3) Accuracy vs. Snark = no contest. I have explained the technical reasons why frequently, so will not go over it again.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

13. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ... the other thing i really dislike,is the lack of flexibility in it's placement. ...
    The Polytune doesn't swivel in all directions, that's true.

But I haven't had to superglue it back together yet either, because it hasn't broke. Pretty sturdy design.

All the other tuners I've had, despite being extra careful and trying to not ever drop them, they eventually do get dropped and they start coming undone.

One of my other old tuners, I'd superglued back together so many times (usually in a hurry) that it no longer had any swivel in *any* direction, neither sideways nor up/down - finally after the little plastic rotating-ball itself broke (and was glued back together as a 'fused' joint), the tuner could be clamped on/off and that was it, no rotate, no swivel. (I used it that way for a year or so anyway because the actual tuning part was still working.) Compared to that, the Polytune's 1-direction swivel is a marvel.

No swivel = no problem.

I like the clamp mechanism, too; and the fact that it can be tucked away is good. I usually remove it after tuning when at home, but when out and about, performing on stage or jamming in a tavern, it's not always handy to lay it somewhere.

16. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

I've had my Snarks for over 6 years & they're still 100% intact. I use them & put them away. Personally,i find it very fiddly to have to clamp the PT to the lower edge of the headstock. A single swivel joint would have solved the problem,even my cheapo Intelli tuner had one of those !.

With regard to accuracy - if i tune my mandolin using a Snark,& then check it with the PT,it shows that the mandolin is as perfectly in tune as it can be - & does so if i do it the other way around. Something that i did when i first got the PT,to check the accuracy of it.

As i mentioned,the battery is nearly new,so any display errors,are due to the tuner,not the battery. Anyway,i did post that i'd resolved the problem by pressing the lower of the 2 side buttons which sets a steady display,so why mention the battery again ?.

The PT is a very good tuner - i never said that it wasn't - however,at over twice the price of a Red Snark (in the UK) & 'for me' fiddly to use,it doesn't represent good value by comparison. Accuracy - it's only as accurate as my Snarks. Both show exactly the same 'spot on' position when the strings are in tune - one tuner checked against the other. How could one be ''more accurate'' than exactly in tune ?,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Although I have a variety of tuners, the most trouble-free one I've used over the past decade, including eliminating the hassle of carrying a tuner and pitting it on and taking it off, is the PlanetWaves NS Micro Headstock Tuner.

One of these has been on my main mandolin's headstock for a few years now continuously, even when it is in the case or in a gigbag.

I'm just offering this due to the discussion of having to put on and take off a tuner, which reminded me that I never have to go through that.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    As i mentioned,the battery is nearly new, so any display errors are due to the tuner, not the battery.
    Ivan
    Really?? New batteries are not always good batteries. Usually, but not always.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

20. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

I use ''Duracell DL 2032'' batteries in all my tuners. They're about as good as it gets. Using the PT with the lower side button pressed,stabilises the display & it's fine. It's still fiddly to fit to the headstock so that i can see the display, & it's the only tuner i've used that doesn't 'swivel',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

Ivan,

Not saying your are - but - be very aware that there are large numbers of counterfeit Duracell batteries out there. Mostly 9v and AA's but also some lithium button cells. Ebay is flooded with them, some third-party Amazon supplies have been caught out selling them, and they have also leaked (literally in some cases) into the retail chain.

Duracell batteries, Shure mics... all victims of the huge counterfeit trade.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

For us it Europe - I've used batteries sold by "7day Shop" under their own brand name for some years and, apart from the, being the cheapest, have been very satisfied with them.

I have snarks, the little planet wave which melted a bit of my headstock finish, which while compact, isnt always that easy to read quickly, for me, despite the color graphic, , Petersen, miehl violin, seiko, others

Every tuner needs a relatively fresh battery, not unlike changing strings. I do mine every 6 weeks or so.

And, for me, nothing comes close to the ploytone for mando and banjo , especially with quick decays, and ease of reading, accurate, quick tuning. The function made the price easy to swallow. Like my blue chips, i just make a point not to lose it or loan it. I have always been able to place it so its easy to read. They now come in black, too.

Black snark comes close, but is bulbous, cheap and, needs care in handling, but cheap enough not to have to manage.

I love my polytone.

Thumbs up Re: Polytone tuners.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    I have snarks, the little planet wave which melted a bit of my headstock finish, which while compact, isnt always that easy to read quickly, for me, despite the color graphic, , Petersen, miehl violin, seiko, others

Every tuner needs a relatively fresh battery, not unlike changing strings. I do mine every 6 weeks or so.

And, for me, nothing comes close to the ploytone for mando and banjo , especially with quick decays, and ease of reading, accurate, quick tuning. The function made the price easy to swallow. Like my blue chips, i just make a point not to lose it or loan it. I have always been able to place it so its easy to read. They now come in black, too.

Black snark comes close, but is bulbous, cheap and, needs care in handling, but cheap enough not to have to manage.

I love my polytone.
    +1

Ooh, and black...

OK - Let me get this right. Not only is my Snark not as good as the PT - in YOUR opinions,but now i'm using fake Duracell batteries sold by the largest supermarket chain in the UK ?. It must be nice to have really unbiased opinions,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

"Not saying yours are - but - be very aware that there are large numbers of counterfeit Duracell batteries out there"

That's simply information people might find useful.
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Jul-10-2017 at 2:54am.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Snark longevity... I have one that has lasted me 5+ years....it never leaves the house. I would guess I've been through 10+ additional Snarks over that same time BUT my instruments actually leave the house 2-4 times per week.

Snarks are mass produced low cost (and quality) tuners that manage to function great, but let's not pretend they are remotely more sturdy than a majority of other digital tuners....

Let's talk battery life: The ONE mentioned above has a great battery life as it sits on my desk and is only turned on about once per day, then immediately shut off.

The other 10+ mentioned above, I would say the battery life is not so great comparative to other tuners, as when I'm out playing there is about a 40% chance I'll remember to actually shut them off.

If you buy a car and only drive it once a month it's less prone to break down...